Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have a leguna II 2001 Model 1.6. I was at the gas station yesterday after the fuel light came on though the gage showed that half the tank was full. During dilling ALL THE PETROL STARTED LEAKING FROM THE BOTTOM of the CAR!!! Luckily there was mechanic who was there and he opened the fuel tank underneath the seat.

He said that it wasn't sealed properly hence the overflow and the tank was Full. Now he said he had sealed it properly , but now he problem i have is my guage is fixed on full and no moving at all.

I am also having issue starting the car on the first attempt, when the car is hot it starts perfect but when cold it start on a few attempts

Can anyone please help me ? is this something major? Is it advisable to drive the car? I will take this to the Renault as well to see whats going on? in the mean time any help would be much appreciated.

D

·
0 Posts
I have read some stuff on here about the fuel tanks distorting, especially when having the pump / sender unit changed, so that could be your problem.
As for the cold starting, presuming the car is serviced regualrly, i'd guess at the ECT sensor which is cheap and easy to fix

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so will it require the whole sensor unit to be changed the one below the seat? Is it expensive ?

Now I am really scared filling this again !my petrol gauge is stuck so I don't know how I am doing petrol wise. Can I use the miles to station as am indication or is that probably misleading as well.

D

·
0 Posts
If the tank has distorted, then it'll be a new tank and sender. Wouldn't have a clue on price, but i'm sure someone will be along soon to advise!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the tank has distorted, then it'll be a new tank and sender. Wouldn't have a clue on price, but i'm sure someone will be along soon to advise!
Hi thanks but I don't think the tank is distorted it's more than likely the component which is under the seat needs replacement. As I said the petrol leaked from there as the rubber was sealed properly. Hoarse I do think that the sensors are gone now. The mechanic confirmed at the time that nothing wrong withthe tank

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
5,254 Posts
hi
try here to get one not sure on price but they are competative and can send by courier.
just make sure you buy a new collar and gasket from a dealership, so you dont get any new leaks.
where ever you take it to be changed, make sure they have the special renault collar tool to remove and fit it with.
(they seem to be far cheaper to supply this tool (approx £50) than most main moto-factor suppliers)

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
It would seem someone has previously had the tank unit out and didn't refit it correctly.
Before heading down the road of replacement it may be worth trying to find out why the unit needed replaced in the first place.
Also a wiring problem could cause the fuel gauge to be inaccurate so a few simple electrical tests may be worth doing. No point on throwing money at it unecessarily.

Try giving the top of the unit a good thump with your hand just in case the float int the sender unit has jammed - nothing to loose by doung so.

The cold start problem may be due to a duff engine coolant temp sensor so it may be worth checking that aspect.:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts