Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Does anyone know if the Laguna 2. 1.8 privilege hand brake cable is adjustable, or how to go about replacing it, cost etc.
At the moment, I nearly have to open the sunroof to pull the lever up, and even then the brake doesnt always hold.

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
I would bet that one of the rear brake caliper hand brake levers has failed.. This then causes the offending hand brake cable to come out of the centre pivot..

Get someone to operate the handbrake lever while you look at each caliper.. You will see which one is defective.. Replace the caliper job done..

Very common problem on the Laguna II...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Also if the caliper does not move first check to see if the cable has come out of the adjuster, You will find this under a flap in the central armrest.
Oh yes and it is adjustable :d

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Hi there,

As suggested above I would check your callipers, but the hand brake cable is adjustable. If you lift up the arm rest in your centre console there is a flap of carpet in there which you can just lift up, in there you should see an adjuster nut on the handbrake balancer, get your self a 13mm spanner and turm the nut clock wise to tighten. (clock wise as if you are sat in the back of the car looking down on it) You should be able to take up the slack on it, Bear in mind that if it's tightened too much the rear brakes will bind. Hope this helps.

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Take webcodes advice, thats what happened to mine, about £340 for a new caliper at renaults.

If one of the cables has jumped out of the compensater in the bottom of the centre glove box that will indicate which caliper is broken.

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Brake calipers

This is was happened to mine. had the cable put back in but came out again a couple of weeks later. got second hand caliper from renault scrap dealer for £50

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I've had a thorough inspection of the centre-storage compartment, and I have to say, there ain't no bit of carpet, or removable part of the lining to give access to anything. The inside of the box is a moulded, plastic backed, fibre fronted, one piece lining. The only way to get under it would be to remove the whole box, or to get a screwdriver and dig out the inner lining.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please accept humble apologies from a blind old git. There is indeed a flap at the bottom of the centre box. You have to admit, it is bleedin' well hidden though.
Why did I put so little faith in you guys to come up with the answer. I checked it all out again, and the cable to the nearside rear is not moving with the operation of the brake lever. It hadn't quite come out of the adjuster, but I suspect that it was a matter of time.
As advised earlier in the thread, the caliper must be seized. Thanks again for all the help.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts