Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Just thought I'd post a little rant to let you all know how shocked I am at Renault dealers prices.

I just phoned my local Renault *********** in Cardiff for a price on a new keycard for my Lag II. I've read threads on this site saying total cost at most dealers was around the £130 -140 mark, a bit steap but could live with that. I did also read one thread where someone managed to get one for a little over £100.
Well I was shocked when they told me a price. They wanted £82 to programme a new key and then £75 for the key itself, plus VAT which would make it close to £185 all in. I then tried another dealer close by in Tonypandy which came back at £175 all in, a bit cheaper but still way way too much. :steam:
If anyone can supply me with a phone number of a dealer where I might be able to get a card cheaper I would be very greatful. I don't mind if it's miles away as I would much prefer to spend the additional cash on petrol getting there than in the dealers Profit & Loss account!!!!

On the up side though my car is due for a cambelt change, managed to get that for £24.70 bargin!!!!! :d

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the advice Chris, got the kit on order along with the aux drive belt, the motor factors couldn't give me a price on those bits as had to order them in, picking them up tonight on the way home. Hopfully should come to under to £100 mark all in, we'll see though.
Just a quick question, guy in the shop had a listing for 2 different aux drive belts for my car, not sure what the difference is but has ordered both anyway. Would you know what type I should be looking for? Or the guy said he could tell from the engine code, any ideas where it is stamped on the car? I've been looking around but unable to find it. I know on some cars it's part of the chassie No. just which part on renaults??

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
That £24.70 for a cambelt change is low, make sure it's done properly, Renault is £320 all in, let us know how you go on.

One Renault garage quoted me £450.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi davesss,

I didn't think that was a bad price, £24.70 for cambelt, £11.80 for aux belt and £43.20 for the tensioner kit. Close to £80 all in.
These aren't renault genuine parts I would imagine it would cost me alot more if they were! Still looks like I'm gonna save a fortune in labour charges. This job normally takes me about 4 hours maybe more depending how many tea breaks I have! I would imagine it'll take me a bit longer on my Lag a) because it's a renault and b) I haven't done one on a Lag before so a big learning curve for me, still I have my haynes manual to hand and it can't be that more difficult to my V6 Mazda, which was easy but the job made harder as I had about 2 - 3 inches of space to work in! Once I get the top engine mount out the way on the Lag there should be plenty of room. I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi huwwatkins,

thanks for your reply, could you post details of the dealer for me, £120 is alot cheper than what I've been quoted, wouldn't mind giving them a try. Cheers

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Just a quick question, guy in the shop had a listing for 2 different aux drive belts for my car, not sure what the difference is but has ordered both anyway.
The difference is that one belt has "rounded" teeth and the other has "square" teeth .... the round one are the old style belt, the square ones the new style.
Renault changed the belt over and upgraded the parts, if you buy a new kit from Renault and it was originally the "old" style belt then they will supply the new square one and new pulley/drive wheels .... very expensive!

Make sure you get the correct belt as they are not interchangeable ... check your old belt/cam pulley to make sure you get the correct belt.

Hope it helps :)

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the advice Truckbusuk,
I ended up with the square one as after comparrison to the original on the car it looked about right. With wear on the old one it did look slightly different but the rounded one was completley different.

·
Registered
7 Posts
re keycard

hi regarding your problem about the price of the keycard.
I purchased the card from mack garages in pontypridd, whilst there the computer programmer arrived with his computer do to programme my key, I happened to get his card of him, this guy does all the programming for the local dealers and will come out to your house if you want him to and do what ever you want including yor keycard, this is his number and name tony lloyd on 07971 038783 just mention that he give me a number of his cards and I mentioned that I would pass them around
Hi All,

Just thought I'd post a little rant to let you all know how shocked I am at Renault dealers prices.

I just phoned my local Renault *********** in Cardiff for a price on a new keycard for my Lag II. I've read threads on this site saying total cost at most dealers was around the £130 -140 mark, a bit steap but could live with that. I did also read one thread where someone managed to get one for a little over £100.
Well I was shocked when they told me a price. They wanted £82 to programme a new key and then £75 for the key itself, plus VAT which would make it close to £185 all in. I then tried another dealer close by in Tonypandy which came back at £175 all in, a bit cheaper but still way way too much. :steam:
If anyone can supply me with a phone number of a dealer where I might be able to get a card cheaper I would be very greatful. I don't mind if it's miles away as I would much prefer to spend the additional cash on petrol getting there than in the dealers Profit & Loss account!!!!

On the up side though my car is due for a cambelt change, managed to get that for £24.70 bargin!!!!! :d

·
Premium Member
1,184 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers for the details malcomdarch, I will deffo give this guy a bell and see what he can offer me. I live about ten mins from ponty too!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I also phoned the *********** in Cardiff today for the very same, they gave me the same prices but said VAT was included.
They also told me that the key would take 5 to 8 days to arrive and then I would have to wait a further two weeks before they could do the job.
I decided to take a sharp knife to the key card and cut it around it's side, I then soldered the micro switch back onto the PCB and then glued the case back together, It works great at the moment but done know how long it will last :(

Let us know how you get on as I for one will be very interested in prices etc, If you see this before you contact him ask if he can program second hand cards to other cars, I can't see why not, I think it is another money making racket dreamt up by Renault.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Don’t know if this is a bit cheeky but if you are having trouble with your Key Card I repair them. I split the cards open (bit of a knack to this easy to damage the Card). I re solder some dry joints and replace or re solder missing switches. Have a look on ebay or Key Card Repair

I can explain what to do if you would like to have a go your self and your good with a soldering iron!

Not sure if I’m aloud to put advertising on forum will remove if anyone has any objections.

Gary

·
Registered
87 Posts
Don’t know if this is a bit cheeky but if you are having trouble with your Key Card I repair them. I split the cards open (bit of a knack to this easy to damage the Card). I re solder some dry joints and replace or re solder missing switches. Have a look on ebay or Key Card Repair

I can explain what to do if you would like to have a go your self and your good with a soldering iron!

Not sure if I’m aloud to put advertising on forum will remove if anyone has any objections.

Gary
yes im good with a soldering iron how's the best way to open the cards, and were u get new buttons from?

·
Registered
33 Posts
yes im good with a soldering iron how's the best way to open the cards, and were u get new buttons from?
I get The buttons from CPC but you can usual reuse the one inside.

Best way is to use a good sharp knife brand new blade.
remove battery and manual key.

Cut the edge where the manual key slots in (the bottom comes away from the top. cut all the way round the edge then move on to arround the battery.

Resolder switch ,you need a very fine soldering tip temprature controlled as its easy to damage tracks.
Secure switches with glue (so they dont come away again!)

Reseal card with glue.

Job done!

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
I get The buttons from CPC but you can usual reuse the one inside.

Best way is to use a good sharp knife brand new blade.
remove battery and manual key.

Cut the edge where the manual key slots in (the bottom comes away from the top. cut all the way round the edge then move on to arround the battery.

Resolder switch ,you need a very fine soldering tip temprature controlled as its easy to damage tracks.
Secure switches with glue (so they dont come away again!)

Reseal card with glue.

Job done!
I tried this with a dead card i had and managed to twist the circuit board while trying to cut it open a few components dropped of - I will actually need to get another card working but dont feel confident enough to do it!

·
Registered
87 Posts
yes thanks for the tips, ive got a card thats not to good, will open it up and see what i find, do u use superglue to stick back together, and is there a part number for the buttons, i might try local maplins for the buttons.

·
Registered
33 Posts
yes thanks for the tips, ive got a card thats not to good, will open it up and see what i find, do u use superglue to stick back together, and is there a part number for the buttons, i might try local maplins for the buttons.
Yes Super Glue will do I use Industrial one with Activator its a bit more gel like and sets instantly with Activator (watch those fingers....) I think you can get a gel super glue.

Best to reuse a button if you can as replacements have a different 'click feel' i use CPC

Browse for Products

Gary

1 - 20 of 51 Posts