Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Electronics - Diesel starting problems - member feedback required

back again, 2001 diesel wont start battery new, hit the button nothing get out lock un lock try again nothing go through the gears clutch down try again nothing car wont crank over, leave it 4 hours go through all gears again inc reverse it starts. 2 time in 2 months, is there a lock out switch in the gearbox? that stops the starter working? or any sugestions had it to local garage they cant find anything. DESPERATE IN YORKSHIRE.

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Difficult one that - intermittant faults are always tricky to diagnose, and unless you find something definate are never really sure that the fault has been cured. There is some sort of "safety" device that won't allow the car to start if car is in gear, but putting it in neutral or depressing clutch will allow you to start car. This switch could be intermittant - don't know exactly where it is located tho.

When engine doesn't crank, are the engine warning lights etc lit? Does the fan come on when the ignition is on . It could be a faulty start/stop switch? Starter motor may be faulty? Card and or cardreader may be faulty.

There are any number of possible problems, unfortunately until the problem becomes more regular or if you notice anything else different it could prove difficult to fix. Sorry I can't be any more positive and offer you any more advise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
lag 11 wont start again

it worked fine for a month cold snap it dont go again its sat outside all day today non runner i will try sunday. this is crazy, cold electronics? damp electronics? i am at a total loss it allways hapens at home if it goes it seems to go ok all day, can it realy be the weather. new battery 1 month ago, its not that. 40+ years driveing never had this much greif with a car! HELP!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
back again

it wont go again it had a headache this week end didnt want to leave the drive, card in dash lights up pre heat ok , press start dash lights flicker no attempt to start . starter dose not kick in .
bump start down drive starts ok, rest of day runs ok.
i am now down to some relay or starter solenoid?
non franchised renault dealer put it on comp no faults?
this is the most un reliable car i have owned in 40 years, and i have owned some junk!
BEWARE its on e bay soon there has to be a biger sucker than me out there!! :steam: :steam: :steam: :steam:

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Sounds like a faulty starter motor?Could also be,as Sport Tourer has said,a faulty start switch,although there's no problems been logged on the forum with these(about the only part of the Lag2 that seems reliable!)
Haven't had too much to do with Lag2's yet(thankfully!),but they are beginning to filter down to us now,so that will be something to look foward to.........

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
My Lag did somethign similar when my battery was hosed. Presumably you've checked this out? It could even be a problem with the alternator not charging the battery, causing the new one to die horribly too...

B

1 - 8 of 8 Posts