Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Laguna II - Phase 1 - Electronics - Sat-Nav problem - member feedback req'd

27K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  asif786 
#1 ·
ARRRGGGHHH
My sat nav on my laguna II initiale has stop operating. The icon telling if its recieving the satelite signals is red. I have looked at the junction point in the boot but all seems ok. The warranty has run out so after a £900 bill to fix the 2 injectors on i dont want to put it in again for this. As you can guess they will just say it needs a new hard drive or something.

CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?

burleigh

#2 ·
These things have been known to just 'crash', so make sure that you have your radio code and then try leaving the battery unhooked overnight. If you prefer not to disconnect the battery, then removing the fuse might do the trick. I'm not sure which one it is, but my money's on the one that's hidden under the ashtray.

If that doesn't work, then check the remaining wiring. I've never been sure where the antenna feed comes into the original Carminat system, so I'd check the wiring to the rear of both the navigation unit (in the bottom of the glovebox) and the control panel (above the stereo.) The latter definitely has an antenna feed to it, though it may be the RF input for the TMC service rather than the GPS antenna. You'll need stereo removal keys to get the control panel out of the dash, and a fairly stubby T20 torx screwdriver to remove the glovebox lining and get at the navigation computer (unless you want to try to get at it from the passenger footwell.)

If all else fails and you're faced with a huge bill, then consider a TomTom One. The GPS receiver is a lot more sensitive than the old GO range, and so it doesn't have a problem with the coated windscreen. As for the functionality, once you've played with TomTom you'll realise just how clunky and dated the original Carminat system is. You'll never want to go back.

#9 ·
These things have been known to just 'crash', so make sure that you have your radio code and then try leaving the battery unhooked overnight. If you prefer not to disconnect the battery, then removing the fuse might do the trick. I'm not sure which one it is, but my money's on the one that's hidden under the ashtray.
The mentioning of the fuse under the ashtray was inspired!

This morning on my Laguna II I wanted to change the CD. However, having ejected (pressing twice as ignition off if that's relevant), it wouldn't take a new CD. Also in the week previous to this the GPS seemed to take longer to react once I'd acknowledged the flaming annoying Highway Code message, sometimes complaining that there was no CD - nothing I could quantify in terms of time, but nonetheless just the feeling that something was beginning to go wrong!

I poked and prodded the eject button a bit on the GPS CD unit in the glove box, presented the CD to the drive a number times, but to no avail. Then I noticed that the screen in the middle of the dash had gone black. In fact I had no display at all - no time, no temperature, and no radio display even though the radio (and music CD) still worked.

The 20 minute automatic switch off of the the radio also doesn't reset things as the screen was blank and the GPS dead at lunchtime as well as later during the drive home.

So this evening, armed with Horatio's punt I removed the fuse from under the ashtray, waited a bit to make sure all residual power had ebbed away, and carefully put the fuse back (I wonder how many have been dropped and lost behind the lighter!?). And it all worked. As Horatio said, you will need your 4 digit radio code.

#5 ·
Horatio said:
When I had problems connecting the caravan the fuse that blew and took my Radio / CD / Sat Nav out, was the forth one down on the right, in the fuse box by the drivers side door. Mind you don't forget and leave this fuse box open, then try closing the drivers door.

#6 ·
mine too!

if anyone has any other suggestions to this post... my sat nav has just gone mental on me... red icons only...although now and again the disc icon goes green for a few seconds...

tmc is red but im not used a tmc enabled disc..as its crap :)

but gps is red.. which is a problem

any help appreciated

#8 ·
burleigh said:
ARRRGGGHHH
My sat nav on my laguna II initiale has stop operating. The icon telling if its recieving the satelite signals is red. I have looked at the junction point in the boot but all seems ok. The warranty has run out so after a £900 bill to fix the 2 injectors on i dont want to put it in again for this. As you can guess they will just say it needs a new hard drive or something.

CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE?

burleigh
Sorry for the delay in the reply as i have not been on the PC much.
The Sat Nav problem has been resolved
After checking conections in the boot i took bot CD unit and Satnav out of car all cables disconected. Then replaced
Switched on and waited.....Still the same problem.
I then decided to go for a drive and but kept putting different destinations. Eventually it found me where i was and not in the North Sea. and since then its has worked faultlessly.

#10 ·
Re sat nav problems

Hi,
I've recently had sat nav problems, red icons and eventual crash. I removed the sat nav unti from the glove box and round a big rust patch on it... yes my door seal leaking water directly onto the sat nav unit. Dismantled the unit and dried it out.. cleaned the circuit board with some contact oil and a soft tooth brush. Sprayed the board with WD 40 and re-built.. Its been fine since...

Just need to fix the water leak now :d

#16 ·
Re: Re sat nav problems

Hi,
I've recently had sat nav problems, red icons and eventual crash. I removed the sat nav unti from the glove box and round a big rust patch on it... yes my door seal leaking water directly onto the sat nav unit. Dismantled the unit and dried it out.. cleaned the circuit board with some contact oil and a soft tooth brush. Sprayed the board with WD 40 and re-built.. Its been fine since...

Just need to fix the water leak now :d
my car as dvd above cd player no antenna connections and box in glove box has only the antenna for radio so im confused and dont know were gps antenna is . mine is a 55 plate gt

#11 ·
Hi, got a 2005 laguna and the built in sat nav isn't working, the GPS symbol is gray.

I also can't get a reception on the radio, just static. Are these two problems linked and if so, any fixes?

(the only problem with the gps is my current location, cd and screen seem to be working fine)

#12 ·

Hi mate is your system the Carminate one like this??if so i think you have an ariel problem,is the sat nav c.d reader in the glove box??a simple quick fix is to buy a magnetic mount ariel and replace the one running into the c.d reader,can be purchased off e.bay or from www.t-era.co.uk for about £13.Have you checked conections ,right hand side rear boot one cable runs from roof ariel (this is sat nav)and the other from the rear quaterlight window (this is for radio)there is a connection behind the panelling that sometimes comes undone..

#13 ·
thanks mate, but it is the one where you load the cd in just under where the screen is. (above the radio/cd player) I'm still trying to find my way about this model. It does have a box in the glove compartment. It would appear to a novice like me that it must be an aerial problem tho, especially with the radio not working either. I think I'll need to check all the connections.

#14 ·
I had a left side fault well door seal failure parked outside. This led to mechanics at Renault pulling wiring on the electronic junction box behind the plastic facia footwell to pull the aerial cable from the boot possibly. Anyway it failed to receive for over a year! I had to check non-polarized internal aerial possibilities and all sorts but to cut a long story short I got a great mechanic to simply refit aerial in roof [no GPS on it though] and plug in from right side rear carpet area on Initiale 2003 1.9dCi. Hey presto! It worked! I wish I had done it earlier though as it was such a pain not having interactive TMC for a year!

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.