Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how hard it is to change the rear pads on a 1.8 laguna 2 (2001) also are there any pit falls to look out for as this coud be my job for the weekend

Thanks

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Not to hard to do, one or 2 points are.........

remove the handbrake cable from the lever on the caliper using pliers, if they won't come off slacken the cable adjuster, you will find this by lifting a small flap in the bottom of the central glove box.

To retract the caliper pistons use circlip pliers to push and at the same time turn the piston clockwise, before you push it in fit a bleed bottle and tube and open the bleed nipple. A special tool for this is available but not necessary.

Enjoy your weekend.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi davess

Do i have to release the nipple to get the piston back or can i still do it without, as i always have problems with brake nipples

Micky P

·
Registered
80 Posts
You don't need to. Just take the cap off of the reservoir in the engine bay. Put a rag around it to absorb any overspill. BTW, the calipers only wind one way. If anyone tells you they are not supposed to wind (See other posts) they are wrong. Don't force them straight back.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
The problem I had was that the pistons were sticking and we had to use a Mole grip to turn them. Pliers would not even look at them.

Should really have changed the calipers but we were doing the job in the street, had trouble changing the disks as the retaining screw heads were made of cheese and had to be drilled out - had to run to nearest stealer for new screws. Had been sold wrong pads and stealer didn't have a clue which ones I needed. Also needed car as quickly as possible. Oh! and it started raining heavily as well.

All in all a jolly experience - not.

Next time will be easier as i will change calipers as well as pads.

Don't let me put you off, though as this should be a simple, straight forward job. Weather report is good so have an exhaust to change on my other car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I 'd advise you get the proper caliper wind back tool with correct pin spacings rather than try and use circlip pliers or similar as they mash up the holes and can slip off easilly. The proper tool costs just a few pounds and you are still saving by doing this yourself even after buying the tool.

·
Registered
85 Posts
If you decide to unscrew the nipple, keep pressure on the on the brake piston - otherwise it may suck air in and you will need to bleed the system after installation.

After installing it and mounting the wheel, turn ignition on and apply brakes a few times and hold for 10-15 sec and inspect again for any leaks.

Have a look also at this topic on the subject.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
also make sure you have the correct pads to suit the calliper,reno use three makes of calliper,best taking one of your old pads and match them at your place of purchase.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Mushroom is spot on, you must wind the caliper. I have a Laser tool. It cost 45 quid but has wind back adapter plates for all the major models. The rear caliper must turn in a clockwise direction and not be pushed straight back or you'll knacker the seals. They have a specially designed dustcap to do this. I know of several people who have ruined their calipers by just pushing it straight back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Resetting your rear brake pistons

I 'd advise you get the proper caliper wind back tool with correct pin spacings rather than try and use circlip pliers or similar as they mash up the holes and can slip off easilly. The proper tool costs just a few pounds and you are still saving by doing this yourself even after buying the tool.
I just used a large G clamp, as long as you keep it in the centre of the piston, it worked fine for me!!

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
you can use a g clamp on front brakes but the back ones must be wound back in. if you find they are stuck try winding out and then back in again hope this helps

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Mondo - whilst it ain't a professional tool - with a bit of patience it should do the job - just double check it is suitable for the Renault caliper piston before you buy - apparently there are few different types:)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Rear break pad replacement, i clamped a pair of molegrips onto the cylinder carefull not to clamp onto the rubber seal, then used a g clamp and turned the molegrips clockwise has i turned in the g clamp and it worked a treat, first side took about 25 minutes to work out and to get the cylinder all the way back in, the other side took 5 minutes to get the cylinder in, fit the pads and bolt all up, bit of copper slip on the moving parts and tested with foot brake and hand brake all working fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Rear brake pads

Boys and Girls

Make sure that the pads you buy have the spring clips that slide onto the piston groove, if you dont the rattle the pads make as you drive along is terrible as I have found out :crazy: Got mine from GSF, mintex I think. By the way, this was part of an OSR caliper change which was dead easy, again GSF £80.00 plus the dreaded.

Happy Days :d

Mark

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
how do i start a new thread
Hi Edutu111,

Go to Forums list on the left click on

Scroll down till you see the section you wish to post in click on that section

there will be a box saying start new thread click on the box

and off you go post away :)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts