Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Retrofitting the voice synth to a post 52 plate vehicle can be done. All that is needed is a little soldering skills and a lot of patience.

To begin with you will need to locate a voice computer, switch and associated connectors and possibly a speaker if you don’t already have one fitted.. Finding a donor vehicle in a scrap yard would be idea for this as all all the connectors should be there.

My donor vehicle

If you’re wondering where to find the computer, you need to remove the glove box liner and look in and up. It’s fixed to the big metal cross bar behind the dash.

This view is looking in to the glove box without the liner and up.

Thanks to chh who posted the following wiring details in another thread.

“All you need is the Voice Synth 82 00 006 159 ,you can also connect the switch 82 00 002 435.

Disconnect batt.

From the 15 pin red connector on the speech box connect as follow:

1 gnd
2 + batt
3 + after ign
6 to multiplex can h to pin 8 on red connector speedo
7 to multiplex can l to pin 13 on red connector speedo
10 connect to mute on your stereo (if u have carminat 8000 connect to mute there)
14 + 15 to the speaker to the left of the steering wheel (if u have carminat 8000 connect to nav)

The switch (optional)
1 repeat pin 28 grey on speedo
2 gnd
3 silence to pin 2 on red connector speedo

Connect batt

You have to have the top of the line instrument in the car(with the big LCD), if not it wont work.

I found the instructions on the german laguna2 forum. I didnt put the modul at the orginal position in the glove compartment, I found enough spae to the right from the speedo.”

From this I was able to draw a rough diagram of where all the wires should go

This is where the patience and soldering skills will come in. Because the loom in the donor vehicle is so integrated with the rest of the main loom getting it out will be almost impossible. So you must fabricate a new one. When doing mine I had already decided to relocate the voice computer to the small empty space behind the speaker down the right of the steering wheel.

Before proceeding with the installation I disconnected the battery. As there are some issues with disconnecting the battery and the odometer reverting to km/s on reconnecting as suggested in another thread I turned my side lights on to iron out and voltage spike on reconnection.

I started the installed the system in to the new car (Which is an 03 plate initiale) by removing the instrument cluster (as you will need to run feeds in to this shortly) the panel containing the ESP/Parking sensor /Cruise control Switches and the panel what has the internal light dimmer/speaker mounted to it.

First install the switch, this should go in the far right slot which will either be occupied by a blanking plate or on some models a cut-off switch for the parking sensors which I think can be sacrificed, but I am not 100% sure. In either case its simply two small torx screws and the switch/plate is out, slot the new switch in, and refit torx screws.

Next install/connect the speaker. Some speakers come pre fit with the cars on models with sat nav like mine (as shown in the picture) have two connectors. The purple connectors are already connected to the sat nav. It’s simply a case of connecting the speaker connector from the voice computer in to the socket on the opposite side.

The next step and the trickiest are connecting the 4 wires up to the instrument panel connectors. What I did with mine was to dismantle the connectors themselves and slide out some of the individual pins then cut the wire about 6 inches in to the car loom and then joined them to my custom made one so that they would then just slot in to the new cars connector. Both connectors will come apart easily.

They are held together by two tabs, one on either side – insert a small flat plate screwdriver in either side and the inner connector should slide out of its outer housing giving you access to the individual pins. Be careful though the plastic tabs are prone to breaking – but nothing a tiny bit of superglue didn’t fix!

So once you have the switch hooked up, the dash connected and the switch wired up all that’s needed is to find a switched live, constant live and a ground. But luck on most cars I’ve seen there is a redundant green connector behind the panel which the speaker is mounted to. This will provide the ground and switched live. As for the constant 12v feed there as several options, for mine I used one of the red 12v feeds in to the fuse box.

If all has gone well then now you should just be able to connect the long red connector to the voice computer, reconnect your battery and all should work!

One point to note is I had issues getting mine to work at first which turned out to be a dodgy earth and also I’d wired the switch back to front but fixing that is simply a case of swapping pins 1 and 3.

I’ve tried to be as accurate and helpful as possible but no doubt I’ve missed bits out. If so please ask!

Cheers

Huw

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, its been asked so many times and seeing as its somthing i've managed to do I thought i'd give people some idea of how its done. I should add that it appears that some 52/03 plate cars that dont have the switch/computer do have the wiring - this obviously makes this job much easier.

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi huw ...

Great post and pic's but now you have done it ... was it worth it? obviously it speaks to you now, but what else has it added .... I'm not taking the ****, I'm just intrigued ?

:)

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, its talks to me and thats about it. Its quite useful when I forget to close my door properly and stuff but I think before it was more of the fact that my old car had it and this one didn't.

As daunting as it looks - it wasn't all that hard. The bit that took the longest was the actual wiring up of the loom but even then that only took an hour tops.

Taking the instrument pod out can be done in 10 minutes.

·
Premium Member
2,637 Posts
Great post with superb pics - well done.

I don't have this on the Scenic, just a wife that doesn't shut up .... both are probably similar ;)

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Seems my acticle has put people off! Seriously its not a huge ammount of work, biggest difficulty would be getting hold of the kit second hand. Any questions please ask :p

·
Registered
17 Posts
Very good. Have being looking into it myself. If you ask renault for any information their answer is always "it a factory fit option only".
I have being trying to find someone who has done it because of two problems. 1) The language is held in the dashboard and can only be changed once connected up to the diag computer and 2) renault changed the highend dashboard for a new version, which was around the same time they stoppped the voice synth.
Anyway I'll take the plunge and get the parts.

Does any one know the part numbers for the connector plugs, I have looked though renaults parts list, and there are 1000's!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Some information I have, is that in the orignal wiring loom the output of the voice synth goes to pins 14 & 15 on the 30 track green connector on the carminat sat nav CCU in the centre console, and the mute from the voice synth to pin 11.

I think this is to maintain the hierachy of who has prority over the speaker. I think its radio, mutted for voice synth and then all mutted for sat nav.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Since I don't have the voice computer, I don't know this obvious information; what is the benefit of having this extra box of electronics in the car? :confused:
And is it as annoying as some of the other voice computers people often complain about?:rolleyes:
Thanks,
Tolak

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dear huwwatkins, i've tried to make this work during an absolutely accurate procedure as you describe after i bought each part i needed. Well it didn't work at first glance! I have a Laguna II 1.8 Dynamique, petrol, registered 2002 and i'd like you to explain me what you mean by the phrase "You have to have the top of the line instrument in the car(with the big LCD), if not it wont work". I'm including 2 pictures.One of my speedometer and one of what i think i should have. Is this my problem for not working the voice synth on my car? I'd appreciate your answering and possible solutions to my problem e.g. can i fit the second speedo and everything ok or take parts from the second speedo and fit those into mine one?

P.S. My instrument panel red connector had no pins to contacts No 2,8 and 13 which were spare. So i made contacts to fit into those pins (took 3 pins from the speech same red connector and substituted them with soldering 3 wires -> two for the speaker and one for mute into the speech computer contacts).

Thanks!
Harry from Greece

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,499 Posts
You should be able to fit the second type of instrument cluster easily although getting one with the correct mileage on it is a bit of a job - in fact, if I was retrofitting an instrument cluster, I'd probably choose a new phase 2 cluster as I've not heard of any of those failing and reverting to KM readings like the phase 1s. Renault would do this if they had to replace the cluster (the part number listed in Dialogys for the pase 1 and phase 2 is the same) and I've seen Lag 2 phase 1s with the phase 2 instrument cluster.

The 'high spec' instrument cluster (whether phase 1 or 2) is also better because you can run diagnostics on it which you can't on the 'simple' one.

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
Since I don't have the voice computer, I don't know this obvious information; what is the benefit of having this extra box of electronics in the car? :confused:
And is it as annoying as some of the other voice computers people often complain about?:rolleyes:
Thanks,
Tolak

The benefit of it is the humour of having a woman nag at you even while you're in the car alone! It's ok in small doses but can really P*ss you off after a while. If you have really sensitive tyre pressure sensors then you're in for a right ear bending. "Warning: Front right tyre, check the pressure. Front left tyre, pressure abnormal, slow down, re-adjust pressure as soon as possible! Warning: Rear left tyre is flat - change wheel". AAAAAAAAAARRRRGGGHHH Shut up woman!!!!

I had a Laguna II with faulty ABS. EVERY TIME THE CAR WAS STARTED: "Anti-lock braking system faulty, normal braking system in operation, consult your Renault dealer". I don't have the heart to press the mute button. It's a feature you hate to love.

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
5,253 Posts
when i was on holiday all mine ever did was complain, "please fasten seatbelt" :d

my relpy was usualy "shutup B1t*h im parking the car":cool:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Huw, Your guide looks awesome...! albeit complicated for a man of my talents..Any way sorry to resurrect this thread and i appreciate that you may not reply...?? however, i have a 2003 53 plate INITIALE 2.2 DCI and i was wondering if there was a chance that all wiring was in place for me to simply fit the black box synthesiser and the switches into the blanking plate bit...?? or is this wishful thinking...!! thanks in advance. Pete

1 - 17 of 17 Posts