Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have 2001 Laguna 2 1.9 dci. At speed it can be skittish and wander sharply. Under accelaration I get a lot of Torque steer also. The front tyres have worn excessively. Im wondering if this could be the lower wishbone arms. Is this a common fault by any chance. I'd be gratefull if anyone could shed any light. Cheers StevO

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
Hi there, you say that the tyres have worn excessively - do you mean unevenly, or just quicker than expected?

If uneven, then its worth getting it checked out, although most power-steered cars tend to wear on the edges, due mainly to 'dry-steering' when stationary.

Are your tyre pressures correct? Any difference from what it should be will also give rise to the syptoms you are experiencing.

These are all relatively cheap items to check before handing lots of cash over for something which may be straightforward to adjust.

Paul:)

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
Although my LagII is solid as a rock on the motorway, my C5 was a handful for a while, pulling all over the place etc... In this case it was a lower ball joint that had completely failed.
Have known worn track rod ends to cause wandering problems, also shot shocks will cause problems...

Personally, I'd suggest getting a local reputable garage or two to take a look - there's so many things it could be...

·
Premium Member
154 Posts
Sounds more like worn steering arms to me Stevo, wishbones would cause it to pull on heavy braking as well. Does the steering kick-out a lot going over small bumps or even the white lines in the road, yet the steering seems to respond Ok? If it does then get the column checked out, it's more likely that than suspension - worth a look anyway. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi .I have changed loads of lower suspension arms on laguna II 's due to badly worn ball joints.It is a common cause of the symptoms your experienceing,and sometimes you get a knocking noise(but not always).On some vehicles both sides have needed to be changed.I think Renault have re designed all arms supplied now so they don't wear out prematurely.If you jack the front of the car up and hold each wheel at the top and bottom you should be able to feel the wear in the joints when trying to move the wheel back and forth.Hope this helps:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello.

This is something i am currently experiencing. i have been told it could be the steering rack. i have what seems like torque steer but there is no problem under braking which could rule out suspension trouble. on top of that the car shakes when driving (could be at any speed) and you can feel it in the accelerator pedal.

i have had garage check this out and they seem to think the juddering it the rack but cannot identify the steering problem until the rack is fixed.

this only happened when i rotaded the tyres from front to back (not side to side as they are directional).

Any Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Hi my balljoints are worn on the front of my Laguna II at 43k miles.
Is it common practice to renew the whole lower arm or just fit 2 replacement balljoints (grind off old rivets and bolt new ones on)?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Cheers for that. i'll speak to my garage and see what they can do and if they can test for it without pulling the car apart.

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
Hi Shooters - why not move the wheels back to their original axle and see if it helps. As a matter of interest have you alloy wheels:)

·
Tourerman
4,838 Posts
Hi my ball joints are worn on the front of my Laguna II at 43k miles.
Is it common practice to renew the whole lower arm or just fit 2 replacement ball joints (grind off old rivets and bolt new ones on)?

Thanks

It,s not commen practise to just renew the ball joints as not all garages know they are available, especialy at a Renault dealer.

It is perfectly safe to get the ball joint kits fitted. I have had both mine done for £80 all in at my local garage.

·
Premium Member
803 Posts
It,s not commen practise to just renew the ball joints as not all garages know they are available, especialy at a Renault dealer.

It is perfectly safe to get the ball joint kits fitted. I have had both mine done for £80 all in at my local garage.
At the Renault dealer I work at we only replace the balljoints. 100% safe

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Cheers mate, I know with some wishbones you dont have the option as they are not rivetted on etc, however as the wishbones are heard to be hard to remove, and it seems pointless shelling out on a wishbone when only a small part of it is worn.

It seems the balljoints on renaults are very very poorly made

·
Super Moderator
43,291 Posts
I wouldn't agree about the quality of renault ball joints - I have a 1994 Clio 1.9 Dieselstill on it original springs, ball-joints and track-rod ends and diesel cars tend to be harder on them because of the additional weight of the engine. I think it depends very much on how you drive and the roads on which you travel. One thing I do know is that Renault replacement parts are made to a greater degree of accuracy and the car will require little or no tracking afterwards compared to after-market components. I know they are more expensive but in some respects you get what you pay for:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts