Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone out there can help me!! I'm installing a new kenwood ddx-6029 into my laguna 11, but I am unable to locate the hand brake switch & reversing switch.

Please can someone advise???

Many Thanks in advance!!!!

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums.

I'm sure a Member will be able to assist with your post shortly.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Please forgive my ignorance.
Why do you want to know where the handbrake switch & reverse switch is to fit a stereo?
Or does the kenwood unit come with a screen for a "reverse camera" as well?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Please forgive my ignorance.
Why do you want to know where the handbrake switch & reverse switch is to fit a stereo?
Or does the kenwood unit come with a screen for a "reverse camera" as well?
It is a DVD player as well, Got one in mine, For it to be legal it needs to connect to the handbrake so it can only be viewed while stationary, The other is for a camera as you have said;)

Mike, Just earth the handbrake one to the case and it will work all the time then, Haven't done the camera as yet so can't help you there sorry.
I have just fitted the bluetooth kit for the phone, Well worth it with the new law.
Paid £70 brand new from a Kenwood dealer instead of £150 and that included next day delivery, Let me know if you want one and i'll send you the details.
Just out of interest what did you pay for the 6029 :confused:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks RichardMs for that.

Yeah the bluetooth kit sounds great, would appreciate the details on that. Currently got a nokia car kit but it ain't the best in the world!!!

Not done the reverse camera yet either, debating where to install it!!!:confused:

I brought the 6029 for £424.00 + £10 shipping, took a while to get it as they eventually told me they had none in stock. Well worth the wait though!!

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
It is a DVD player as well, Got one in mine, For it to be legal it needs to connect to the handbrake so it can only be viewed while stationary, The other is for a camera as you have said;)
Thanks.
That's why giving as much info in the request for help is always better. Luckily you were familiar with the model mumber and knew exactly what it was.

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I think the handbrake switch is actually at the base of the handbrake lever. The usual centre console removal procedure applies: Unhook the gear lever and handbrake gaiters, grab the top of the console and pull.

The reversing light one is going to be trickier. I know it's present in a multiplug in the left hand boot area (on the hatch at least) and so the loom must run down the left hand side of the car. I wouldn't be surprised if you'll find an additional multiplug behind the side trim in the passenger footwell. Failing that, you'll probably need to run a wire right the way from the rear of the car.

From a legal point of view, you probably don't need these things wired up. Most of the regulations about a TV being visible to the driver apply to CRT displays. They never got around to updating the law to apply to LCD screens... unless things have changed since I last looked into it. In theory at least, you can't actually be done for having the TV on in the front of the car while driving. That said, if a copper suspects that you've been watching it while the car's moving, he's liable to do you for "driving without due care and attention" and the charge is likely to stick. But if you switch off the screen while you're driving, that shouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Horatio,

Thank you for your helpful advise, regarding this. I shall be attempting to complete the installation this evening, apart from the reverse camera, as I can't decide where to mount it yet because the towbar is in the way of the perfect place!!!

I'll let you know how it goes, sounds like a simple but time consuming job!!

Want to connect the handbrake switch wire, as the car is due it's MOT soon and don't want to run the risk of them failing it!!

Once again thank you.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mike, If you put a CD in the player they are not going to know if the DVD is hooked to handbrake or not, Can't see this having anything to do with the MOT anyway to be honest.

The bluetooth model is KCA-BT100 and can be bought from Audiocar Equipment Limited, Tel 0208 556 1731, Their user id on ebay is crushedice99, They are a Kenwood dealer and that's how they keep the prices so low, They have been in the business for 26 years so they should know what they are doing, lol.
When you phone them tell them you bought the 6029 from them a few weeks back.
I paid £415 for mine about a month back with free next day delivery, They are selling them now for £410.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally Finsihed

Hi All,

Sorry for the late come back, but hought I'd let you know that I've now got it all installed - Bar the reverse camera!! Still!!!

Took some doing with all the wires, and extra bits like the remote and head-up display adapter.

I've adapted the nokia kit I had to work with the pre-wiring that is already in place.

So in short I'd like to thank you all for your help on this!

THANKS!!!:)

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Hi Everyone,

Hoping someone out there can help me!! I'm installing a new kenwood ddx-6029 into my laguna 11, but I am unable to locate the hand brake switch & reversing switch.

Please can someone advise???

Many Thanks in advance!!!!
Mike,
If you are still looking for the handbrake switch, mine (03 Model) is literally under the handbrake in the bowels of the console (top cover pulls off (after unclipping the hb & gl gaiters))...Dave

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stereo Upgrade

Hi Guys,

Managed to find the handbrake switch, and used a "piggy Back" crimp to connect to it.

I'll take some pictures over the weekend and upload them.;)

·
Diamond dismember
326 Posts
If I can't find wiring for the P and R positions of the (automatic) gear shifter,
I'll probably cave in, and use the handbrake and reverse light instead.

I've just installed an Alpine iXA-W407BT, but it requires the handbrake be on when accessing the configuration menus.
The default settings aren't problematic, but just having the access to fine-tune everything, would be handy.

It has support for reverse camera as well, as an optional accessory.
I'm not planning on fitting that yet, but was thinking of being prepared,
as the wiring harness for the reverse signal is included with the head unit.

·
Diamond dismember
326 Posts
Did in the end make a Halfordean handbrake intervention harness, using a crimping tool and blade and bullet connectors, along with two suitable pieces of wire.

The handbrake switch has a male blade connector, and the warning light wire has a female connector that fits it.
The purpose of a homemade intervention harness like the one mentioned above, is to avoid cutting into existing wiring.

And in case anyone's curious, here's how to make one:
A short (about 5-6 cm) and a long piece of wire are needed, along with a male and a female blade connector,
and an additional connector of whatever type goes into your in-car entertainment system's handbrake input.

1) Crimp the female blade connector on one end of the short wire.
Remember to not de-isolate more than what's necessary to fit in the connector,
and if the wire's stranded (which it should be), twist the strands well, to make it more resilient towards mechanical stress where it enters the connector.

2) Twist the metals of the other end of the short wire together with those of one end of the long one.

3) Crimp the male blade connector onto the resulting wire twist

4) Measure up how long you want the long piece of wire to be.
This will be very individual, based on how you wish to route that wire.
Then, add about 5-6 cm to that, before you cut off (or add about 20-25 cm, if it goes to the back of the head unit or its harness), allowing for a bit of play.

5) When you've cut off the other end, and de-isolated it, fit whatever connector goes into your entertainment system's handbrake wire.
Do not forget to twist the wire (if its stranded), before crimping the plug on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts