Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can one of you nice peeps help me on advice on how to wire up the wires from towbar to cars wiring ie which colour goes to which wire in the car many thanks:)

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Found this a while back, bit confusing but all depends on age of car etc, hope it helps

The socket is coloured black and houses 7 pins which are are numbered 1 to 7 and need to be connected using the correct grade wiring as follows (1998 Pin Allocation).:

12n SOCKET(single socket yow bar-for cars lights etc)

1. Yellow Left turn signal
2. Blue Fog light's
3. White Earth
4. Green Right turn signal
5. Brown Right hand side light
6. Red Brake lights
7. Black Left hand side light

The 12S socket(for a caravan)

The socket is coloured grey and houses 7 pins which are are numbered 1 to 7 and need to be connected connected using the correct grade wiring as follows :

1998 Pin Allocation

1. Yellow Reversing light
2. Blue Caravan Battery or charger
3. White Earth
4. Green Constant 12v feed
5. Brown Sensing device
6. Red Refrigerator
7. Black Spare

1999 Pin Allocation
Pin
Cable Colour
Function

1. Yellow Reversing light
2. Blue Spare
3. White Negative for Lights & Charge
4. Green Interior Light & Charge
5. Brown Spare
6. Red Refrigerator
7. Black Negative for Fridge

13 pin continental system

1. Left side indicator
2. Rear fog lights
3. Negative for pins 1,2,4 & 8
4. Right side indicator
5. Right hand rear position & end outline, & registration plate
6. Brake Lights
7. Left hand rear position & end outline, & registration plate
8. Reverse light
9. Constant 12v power supply
10. Power from ignition switch
11. Negative for pin 10
12. Coding for coupled trailer (on the plug pin 12 to be connected to pin 3)
13. Negative for pin 9

here is a link to the website i got it from, in colour and easier to use
Towbar Electrics

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for that but i managed to get that info it was which wire goes were in the lights but i managed to wire it up now after 2 hours :confused: i ended up having to rewire the trailer as it was wired to my old car which was done by a professional fitter to which i believe was wired wrong:confused:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lag 2 towbar wiring

Glad you got your wiring to work. I'm about to do the same. Can you advise which colours on the cars wiring match the wires on the towbar harness. Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
you can get a specific harness which plig's in to a sockett in the car to save you from manually splicing wires, as you may also need a relay depending on your lights
check out -
7 Pin Car Specific towbar wiring Renault Laguna Est 01>
Plugs into existing car wiring, no need for any relays
was £90 now £59.00 from The best quailty cheapest towbars in the UK and thats a promise !! Plus the free help line

wow price drop getting mine now!!! :rofl: :d :rofl:

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
The official Renault wiring loom was only about 50 quid when I bought it for the last car. Though I wasn't particularly impressed with it. Maybe these will be better.

The Renault kit gave you everything you need to get the 12N working and most of what you need for the 12S. The 12S socket is a UK thing really, and a lot of foreign manufacturers don't understand how they're supposed to be wired. Clearly, that includes Renault :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Sport1. Had a look in my 2003 2.2dCi's lamp cluster but unable to see a plug waiting to receive the harness you suggest from Towequipe and Renault dealer says the Renault kit has to be sliced into the cars loom! I have already fitted the universal loom (supplied with my towbar from coincidentaly Toweuipe) into the car and to the left hand lighting cluster, so now only really need someone to advise me which colour wire splices to which (e.g. what is colour of right indicator, etc.) Can anyone provide this info?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi

Just about to buy a towbar for my 05 hatchback, can anyone advise if I need to get the bypass relay or not, can't seem to find an answer

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
Hi

Just about to buy a towbar for my 05 hatchback, can anyone advise if I need to get the bypass relay or not, can't seem to find an answer

Thanks
You'll never get a definitive answer on this one. Lots of people assume that because the car has multiplex wiring, the lights will be multiplex and you will need bypass relays. I've yet to find any indication that the lights are multiplex controlled though (other than the indicators being driven by the UCH) and my searches on the Internet for cars with multiplex lighting failed to turn up any reference to the Laguna.

My 2005 is wired without bypass relays and it's yet to give me a headache two years down the line. On my 2002 model, I bought the official Renault loom because I assumed that the lights would be multiplex, but the official loom just plugs into the backs of the clusters and doesn't use bypass relays either.

If I was doing it again and I was running a 12S socket, then I'd probably play it safe and include bypass relays. If you're not running a 12S then you'll struggle to find a suitable feed for powering the caravan lights via the relay, so I'd probably take my chances without.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Horatio

Thanks for that, it's only a 12N, using it for a cycle carrier, so will go ahead without one, thanks for the advice

·
Registered
19 Posts
Any one got the part number for the Renault loom which plugs Into back of car ?? Also of I buy the loom from Renault which is 30 pound now do I need to buy a indicator buzz relay ??

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well a trip to Renault got the towbar wiring kit for the laguna sport tourer ,£30 was very happy with price and kit , comes with loom tow plug 7pin and loom bolts seals etc , works a treat

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well a trip to Renault got the towbar wiring kit for the laguna sport tourer ,£30 was very happy with price and kit , comes with loom tow plug 7pin and loom bolts seals etc , works a treat
thanks for update, just shows dealers aren't always more expensive for parts.

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Is this a plug n play loom? using existing wiring connector? or do you need to splice it into the wiring loom?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sorry for hijacking the thread but i have a question. I about to order an aftermarket tow bar.A garage will fit for me, but they cant tell me it whether it will cause problem with the reversing sensor or not. Any experience?
Thanks in advance.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts