Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

The main engine problems I had with my Laguna V6 sport tourer 02, are the ignition coil failures. On average one every 6 month or so. I changed 9 already. As I was still under warranty so I had the car taken by the AA to the closest Renault dealership (30 miles) and got them replaced for free. They told me that it costs around 150-200 pounds to get one replaced. Unfortunately the five years warranty is now elapsed and yesterday the car has started juddering again, with the pollution warning coming on.

How difficult it is to replace one myself? I know that the V6 one are different form the usual ones that the AA vans are carrying with them, hence the usual trip to the dealer. How can I know which one is dead? Is there any electronic settings/resetting to do? Could it be a bad contact? Can the local garage do the Job, as I don't want to drive the car with this fault for 30 miles?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

T

·
Premium Member
764 Posts
The front 3 cylinders as you would expect are easy to replace..

However the rear three require the complete inlet manifold and some vapour pipework to be removed to gain access to the coils.. Easyish but a little time consuming..
But be carefull how you pull the pipework off as it gets brittle over time and will split if roughly handled.

You are correct about not driving the vehicle with it misfiring as you will Rapidly destroy the Catalytic convertor, with the unburnt fuel burning in the monolyth..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Are you sure if you replace them yourself this does not void warranty?
What coils are those, Sagem or Denso? I mean, it is not normal for a coil to fail so fast, so it would mean that either your input power is too much, or the spark plugs are not the prescribed models for your car.
All in all you should find the problem for the coils failure I think

·
Premium Member
4,192 Posts
I'm afraid Renault coils fail in the same way that sh1t stinks and the taxman gets upset if you don't pay him!

My Avantime gets through a coil ever 8k miles or so - and I have to pay for them now. I think the problem is they overheat because of lack of airflow and bad design. When one goes another usually folloes fairly soon afterwards.

Ideally you should change them all at the same time - however a coil changed by Renault under warranty will be done on its own! Make a note of when each coil fails as I don't know if there's any warranty on them - 12 months?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Same engine in the C5 V6 and guess what? Same problem. I had been told to use Bosch ignition pencils - Don't know if this makes a difference

·
Registered
8 Posts
Dear All

Does this coil failure apply to the Laguna I 24V engine too.

I am having problems with lumpy idling too and weird surging at low revs. No fault codes though

Thanks
Jason

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Hi,

2 years down the line and 25,000 miles later my coils are still going strong , dont know if and when they were changed beforehand ..... must be lucky ! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
ive had my car since nov last year and ive had to replace 3 coils already :steam: not happy at all, also ive noticed that the replacment coils from renault which are sagem ones, have a blob of paint on them where as the ones that are failing dont!

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
2001 3.0 v6 Initiale with 11 coils so far (and spare in boot)!!!! at only 30K.

:crazy: They are not quite so easy to change on the V6 either, My local dealership have said Renault have resloved the coil failure problem, But this will be for new builds it will be many years before this is resloved for in the used car market or those out of warranty

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an Laguna II V6 2001. All the coils have been replaced under warrenty at some point and I still get about one failure a year. You can check which one has failed by pulling off the connector to each coil in turn with the engine running. If the engine note changes you know its good, if there is no change you know its dead. I carry a spare in the car (Ebay). The front are easy to change, for the rear a call to the AA/RAC is easier. The wife has even changed one of the front ones! You will still need to get the fault cleared on a diagnostic tool. Luckerly my local garage can do this and they program the tyre sensors.....but that s for another thread....:(

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'm new to the Renault thing, as I have been and still am in Volvo ownership.

Recently purchased a 2004 40K 3.0v6 tourer for the wife. and am interested to know if there is any tips to avoid coil pencil failures.

If I have a Non renault warranty for another year is it likely to cover these items ??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pencil coils

Hi, All
I've changed both frt and back pencil coils, the frt are no problem but the back requires removal of manifold, covers and hoses etc. not to bad a job (first time took me four hours being extra carfull) but I would recommend a garage for rear coils.

As for avoiding the failure all together, that’s a bit of hit and miss.

I've had 11 pencil coils or so in the life of the car but none for the last year or more, so Renault my have depleted the remaining stock of poor quality coils and replaced with good ones.

Don’t be put off though as i would have another V6, because overall the car is great, with a smooth ride and well appointed (the initiale comes with all the toys you would want)...

·
Registered
6 Posts
can I enquire as to what the symptoms are of this failure
Depends as to what cylinder(s) as to the symptoms it will run lumpy, after a short while the engine diagnostics lamp will illuminate and voice will ask you to see a Renault Dealer ASAP as the un-burnt fuel will cause the emissions to go sky high.

If just one of the inner coils fails the effect is poor acceleration, but if more that one fails or an outer cylinder if affected then you will know by the juddering of the whole vehicle.....

·
Registered
28 Posts
Depends as to what cylinder(s) as to the symptoms it will run lumpy, after a short while the engine diagnostics lamp will illuminate and voice will ask you to see a Renault Dealer ASAP as the un-burnt fuel will cause the emissions to go sky high.

If just one of the inner coils fails the effect is poor acceleration, but if more that one fails or an outer cylinder if affected then you will know by the juddering of the whole vehicle.....
Thanks V-max

the symptoms you describe, I'm getting all of them.

Lumpy idle, feels like going to stall, lack of power and whole car judders while doing about 40mph, and Eng diag ligh ton constant.

it in the dealers today, so we'll see

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, the symptoms we get with a coil failure are lumpy tickover (only running on 5 cylinders) and feels like the car will stall (but doesn't). Also the Antipollution warning light illuminates on the instrument panel and a spoken message says something like antipollution monitor not functioning.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi thanks for that,

in Garage yesterday, replace one coil under warranty, no seems fine, 40K miles

lets see how long the others last ??

1 - 20 of 29 Posts