Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

The head gasket went on my Laguna 10 weeks ago.

When it went to the garage the engine block was severly warped and they ended up putting a new engine (2nd hand) in it.

I had the car back on Thursday and immediatley found that now and again the engine was like jerking and losing power on acceleration, then it would come OK and cough out grey/black smoke. Sometimes it was losing alot of power and was bordering on cutting out, but it never has.

Before taking it to the garage it was very low on Diesel and then was idle for 10 weeks while they fixed it. After getting the car back I filled up with Diesel.

Could it be that there is lots of dirt and muck in the tank going thorugh to the engine, or could it be something else?

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Hi Philjack welcome to the forums, it could be a number of things from a loose cable, possibly dirt getting into the engine or unfortunatley a faulty replacement, I would say take it back to the garage who did the work and get them to look at it. Good luck.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

If it's a faulty replacement, then they're are liable aren't they uner the service of goods act 1982 section 12 and 13?

I've done the research, well, trading standards have! ;)

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Cant see why not. I wouldnt go on the warpath just incase, as I bought a Laguna and the gearbox failed after 3 weeks went back to the dealer nice as pie and they couldnt be more helpfull even if they had tried. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
hi m8:) welcome to the forums:)

first things first is take it back to them and get them to sort it.

as to the fault it does sound like an egr valve fault, which is very common, it can be cleaned which gives it more life span, but if it is this make sure the garage replaces it as its quite a costly part, because they may just clean it and 6 months down the line and it goes again you'll have to fork out the price of a new one.

hope this has helped you and let us know how you get on good luck Alex

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers lads, it's going back in the morning.

On the phone he seemed quite confident it was muck and dirt from the tank going thorugh the engine.

I didn't think it would cause such a major loss of power. The egnine felt like it was going to cut out at one point.

·
Premium Member
669 Posts
Cheers lads, it's going back in the morning.

On the phone he seemed quite confident it was muck and dirt from the tank going thorugh the engine.

I didn't think it would cause such a major loss of power. The egnine felt like it was going to cut out at one point.
It could cause a loss of power if its blocking the injectors. Hopefully nothing serious and youll be back on the road again. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right the bloke phoned me today and there's something wrong with the pumps, and he's waiting on a reading?????? I don't know what he's on about I haven't got a clue.

If anyone can shed any light on it carry on :)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
What engine have you got in your Laguna and how old is the car?.

It could be high pressure pump problem or injector fault if it's a dCi,or if it's a conventional diesel then it could be the mechanical distribution pump.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What engine have you got in your Laguna and how old is the car?.

It could be high pressure pump problem or injector fault if it's a dCi,or if it's a conventional diesel then it could be the mechanical distribution pump.
It was a 2.2 DT, but they had to change the engione and now it's a standard 2.2.

They had to swap the pumps over from the old engine into this new one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts