Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,
Was wondering if anyone could help me. A friend of mine bought a 2002 Renault Laguna estate 1.8 petrol about a wk and a half ago and the trouble she has had with it is never ending! One main problem they are trying to get sorted is according to our local mechanic it needs a new key card wondered if anyone on here had any better advice. I will start from the beginning to explain about the key problem. My mate took the car up the garage to get it looked over after the mechanic had it up on the ramp it would not start at all. All that kept coming up was the red circle light between the serv and stop light which as far as my knowledge goes of renault is the immobiliser light. We went up to tow it back the next day to which the steering lock was on so obviously could not tow it upon me fiddling with the key card and holding the battery compartment of the key fob firmly the car started first time i then did a bodge job of taping it as a temp just so she could carry on using the car. It worked fine for a few days then she took the car back up the garage to have the exhaust welded as was one piece of work that needed doing and after the mechanic looked at it again it would not start. The mechanic disconnected to battery fiddled n prodded from what i can gather at the key and the car and it still would not start. Eventually a few hours later it started. He did the welding on it and then once again it would not start!! The next day she got a phone call from the mechanic saying it was starting and they was to go and collect it. After picking it up they drove 200yds down the road and the STOP warning light came on and the way she explained it is it lost all power and just konked out completely and then it had to be towed back to the garage. Now the STOP light is staying on continuosly and wont go off. Is this an engine fault warning?? I have no idea what to say to my friend she keeps asking me for help but i have no clue. Also the SERV light stays on all the time what does this mean? They have now had the car brought back to there home by lorry to be told that the mechanic has said they can not remove the key card from the ignition slot because the car will not start after. Well they can not just leave the key card in the car. We did remove the card and the car started just fine numreous times after. So what this mechanic is on about i dont know. Personally i would not even let this bloke touch any cars but my mate swears by him so up to her really. I hope this all makes some form of sense and someone can offer a piece of advice as to possibly solving this problem.
Many Thanks

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
5,254 Posts
hi
renaults are a learning curve!

you need to establish if the fault is the key fob or the card reader, as both can play up.
check ebay and on here for fob repair services. you may be able to find a key fob at a breakers yard, they are only good as case spares and will need carefull disassembly and glueing back together with araldite epoxy.
the key card rader has fidly little plastic bits that can bend and snap, so you need to check on here for how to bodge a fix or get a replacement from a breakers yard.
both spare parts are a lot cheaper to do yourself than run up garage bills to sort out.

keycard reader is about 25-35 and used keyfob is about 10

remember that key fobs are programmed only once (by Renault France)and for only 1 chassis they cannot be reused on another car, so a secondhand / used / broken key is only good for case spares.

·
Registered
22 Posts
hi i just had to get a new key card cost me 118.89 and another 68.99 to code it came in 2 parts 1 took 6 days one took 5 weeks to come from france total rip off ps took a hour to code it

1 - 3 of 3 Posts