Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've had four Lagunas and have suffered from worn rear subframe bushes twice. The telltale signs are there, knocking from the rear end and strange oversteer at high speeds (feels like the back end is coming round to the front).

I've recently had my rear bushes replaced at 87,000 miles, that was in December last year. Soon afterwards there was a slight knocking from the back end at low speeds but I thought no more of it, however, I've just been on a long motorway journey and the steering was positively dangerous. Just been under the car and sure enough the bushes have fallen apart. The question is, how long should these bushes last? I'm now on 100,000 miles, so they've only lasted 13,000 miles (in fact less because I noticed problems a long time ago). What would you expect to get from a set of bushes?

I'm heading back to the garage that fitted them tomorrow, see what they say but I don't want to be paying another £230 after such a short time.

Cheers

Matt

G

·
I would expect such a part to last a lot longer than 13k, but it's down to time with rubber, not mileage. eg old tyres deteriorate even if the tread is fine.

Did a Renault garage do it? Either way, I'd go back and discuss it with them, as the bushes do not seem to be fit for purpose. 6 months use from them is unacceptable.

The rear bushes on my 48k miles Scenic are perishing according to Renault during a free check up at my local dealer. Symptoms as you say, steering is a bit twitchy on bends, but no knocking.

·
Premium Member
Scenic mk1ph2, RX4, ID35s11
2,944 Posts
get the rear tracking checked, along with setback (one wheel forward of the other) if nescessary get the rear hubs shimmed with stainless steel foils to get them back to the lowest reno settings or 0:0

if they are out that can cause abnormal wear on the bushes., also check the rubber bushes on the top of the springs.

Reactions: Matt1954

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the rear axle bushes in my 2003 Laguna replaced under warranty at 28K by renault and the replacement bushes are still in axle 5 years later with 75K on the clock - I would expect them to last a lot longer than you have mentioned.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all who replied, I took the car back to the garage. They put it on the ramp straight away and were horrified by what they saw. They booked it in and replaced both bushes free of charge without quibbling. One bush had completely de-bonded from the centre post and the other was well on the way. They had been non-renault bushes but they replaced them with the genuine article and were intending to send back the duff ones for a refund.

Cheers for the help

Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.