Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me ?????

I have just purchased a year 2000 Laguna RXE, all was fine but now the ABS warning light has come on.

When the car is first started, the light stays on for a couple on minutes then goes off. However when the brakes are applied with the light off, it seems as though the ABS system is trying to work on the Front Near Side wheel. Then the light comes back on and all seems fine.

Have had the wheel sensor changed, but still no better.

Many thanks in anticipation.:confused:

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi there Tony and welcome to Renault Forums, I'm sure someone will give advice soon,
Regards leroy

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Mmm....a strange one.:eek:

The ABS should only work when it senses that a wheel is going to lock,so if it feels as though it's working under normal braking then there is usually a problem with one of the rings on the hubs.This doesn't put the warning light on though,as the system thinks it is working as it should be.

When working properly,the check light should come on for a couple of seconds when you first start the car,and then go out.If the light is staying on,then there is a fault somewhere,usually with a wheel speed sensor.I would take it to a good independant garage and get them to read the fault codes from the system.This will save you a lot of hassle and possibly guess work in trying to solve the fault.

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
ABS Light

I would agree take it to a decent garage - my first opton would be to check the wheel sensors and rings. In my experience if a ring becomes loose on the hub any signals picked up by the ABS system will be very erratic - thus throwing it into confusion. Rear sensors tend to give more probs than the front as the rearwheels tend to have more road dirt and water thrown at them. One other likely aspect is that the connectors on one or more of the sensors have become faulty.. Let us know what happens:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would agree take it to a decent garage - my first opton would be to check the wheel sensors and rings. In my experience if a ring becomes loose on the hub any signals picked up by the ABS system will be very erratic - thus throwing it into confusion. Rear sensors tend to give more probs than the front as the rearwheels tend to have more road dirt and water thrown at them. One other likely aspect is that the connectors on one or more of the sensors have become faulty.. Let us know what happens:)
The strange thing is that my Laguna does not have any sensor rings. It is a late 2000 (X plate) and seems to have the ABS system of the Laguna II.

This gets more puzzling !!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Are you sure it has an ABS system at all - just cos there's a light doesn't mean there is one. The sensors rings are quite well hidden but you should be able to see the connecting cables going to the sensors. Let us know what you discover Some cars are fitted with displays on the display panel that are not used - maybe a fault in this region if the car does not have ABS.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The strange thing is that my Laguna does not have any sensor rings. It is a late 2000 (X plate) and seems to have the ABS system of the Laguna II.

This gets more puzzling !!!!!!!!!!!
hi tony ive just been informed these dont have abs rings but magnets in the wheel bearings i have the same problem after doing my brakes and steering pipes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts