Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just bought a 2004/5 VDO map disc for my Laguna sat nav and the TMC logo which was black on the old map disc is now red, at which point will it change green?

or What do I have to do to enable this function to work?

Thanks. :eek:

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Hi Karlos,

Does your map discs support TMC. Try driving around a little. you may be in a black spot. If all fails check the connections at the rear of the satnav. I also here that a firmware upgrade may be required, i'm not sure if thats true or not.

Bigstu

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
I had exactly the same thing: The original disc that came with the car had the TMC icon in black, but when I took Renault up on their single free map upgrade offer, the new disc had it in red.

As I understand it, black means that the TMC codes are on the disc, but TMC isn't working. I originally thought that was because the unit didn't have a TMC receiver, but the diagnostics screen shows that it's installed and working. I think red means that the disc doesn't even have TMC codes on it.

Either way, you don't have TMC, which is only working properly if the TMC icon is green. I could be wrong, but as far as I'm aware, none of the official Renault 'Carminat' discs have working TMC, though some of the third-party or generic Navtech ones might.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Horatio, just looking at the Carminat instructions...

TMC (black) no TMC database present on this cartographic CD.
TMC (red) TMC traffic info not available.
TMC/Name (green) available infomation, name of TMC info provider.

The disc I bought is not an Renault one.

Where and what numbers do I enter to get to check if the TMC receiver is working?

·
Premium Member
6,475 Posts
My mistake. I thought it was the other way around. So at least I have TMC data on my disc, even if it doesn't work. I heard a rumour that the codes are present, but they're wrong and don't actually match the data that's being transmitted.

The TMC status is in the diagnostics screen off the main menu. It'll ask you for a code, which is 4112, then after that you just mooch through the menus until you find it. Mine gives the frequency that TMC's being transmitted on, signal strength and RDS data quality (the last one being 100% - I forget the figures for the others) but I'm still stuck with the red TMC icon.

I should add that the whole point of TMC is for the navigation system to route you round any problems. If the 'alternative route' function that's built into Carminat is anything to go by, don't expect it to do anything useful. I tried it twice, and in both cases it started taking me off the motorway at every junction, sending me round the roundabout and back onto the motorway in the same direction. I don't call that much of an alternative route. Prior to getting TomTom, if the route that Carminat gave me was blocked, I'd have to resort to getting the road atlas out and working out my own detour.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Karlos
A Renault Tech told me today, that Renault UK did not have a licence to enable the TMC function when they introduced it in 2002, however they now do have one, and to enable TMC on earlier cars its just a matter of entering the passcode, but he woudnt tell me what that is.(and no doubt charge for the privilige)
regards
Jon

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
I just had red dish and tmc on my way home earlier, and according the the map I was driving through a shopping mall :rofl:
Once I tapped the satnav contoller the symbols went green and I was back on the road. I guess I have a loose connection on the antenna.

Bigstu

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I am not too bothered about this TMC functioning or not, but if its there then it would be good if it worked. I dont drive long distances much, but the wife will use the sat nav at every oppertunity just for the fun of it. The code that Indigohouse mentioned will eventually find its way on to the net sometime... :)

I will enter the diagnostic code number and see where that takes me..

Thanks for everyones posts on this subject...... :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
indigohouse said:
Hi Karlos
A Renault Tech told me today, that Renault UK did not have a licence to enable the TMC function when they introduced it in 2002, however they now do have one, and to enable TMC on earlier cars its just a matter of entering the passcode, but he woudnt tell me what that is.(and no doubt charge for the privilige)
regards
Jon
It's right that Renault didnt have a licence, but that relates to their map discs. It's absolute boll**ks to say you need to enter a passcode to enable it. I just bought a TMC enabled disc and after a while it just went green (the TMC logo) and worked. If it doesn't there might be something wrong with the aerial input into the GPS.

Mind you, TMC info is pretty unreliable in the UK......

Kev

·
Premium Member
194 Posts
Does anyones symbols turn green immediatley after startup. Something i'v not noticed before, all red to start with, then the TMC turns green to TMC & Provider and after about 5 mins of driving the sat dish logo turns green.

Bigstu

·
Registered
25 Posts
Does anyone know if TMC is broadcast in Northern Ireland? I bought a TMC enabled disk from ebay but icon remains red. Diagnostic screen says reception level at 100% and rds quality at 100%. Any advice welcomed!

·
Registered
36 Posts
NI_Laguna2 said:
Does anyone know if TMC is broadcast in Northern Ireland? I bought a TMC enabled disk from ebay but icon remains red. Diagnostic screen says reception level at 100% and rds quality at 100%. Any advice welcomed!

I have the UK and Ireland disk with TMC 2006/07, it all works fine, I have never tried it in ireland but understand that it will work fine. PM if your intrested ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Horatio said:
I had exactly the same thing: The original disc that came with the car had the TMC icon in black, but when I took Renault up on their single free map upgrade offer, the new disc had it in red.

As I understand it, black means that the TMC codes are on the disc, but TMC isn't working. I originally thought that was because the unit didn't have a TMC receiver, but the diagnostics screen shows that it's installed and working. I think red means that the disc doesn't even have TMC codes on it.

Either way, you don't have TMC, which is only working properly if the TMC icon is green. I could be wrong, but as far as I'm aware, none of the official Renault 'Carminat' discs have working TMC, though some of the third-party or generic Navtech ones might.
I bought a Carminet disc from Renault last year which then enabled the TMC to work for the first time and yes if TMC is working it will be in green.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Bigstu said:
Does anyones symbols turn green immediatley after startup. Something i'v not noticed before, all red to start with, then the TMC turns green to TMC & Provider and after about 5 mins of driving the sat dish logo turns green.

Bigstu
It will turn green when its found all the sats it requires but it does not require all of them to work hence it will still direct you when it's red. Also should you go through a tunnel or an underground car park the icon will go red and return to green when its locked to the sats again. Some days mine will go green on start up other days it may take 10 minutes or so.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sat Nav Red

Hi Can Anyone Tell Me How To Reset My Sat Nav.the Bottom Icon On The Lower Tool Bar ,the One That Picks Up The Sat Signal Is Always Red And Not Green,so It Does Not Work,i Am Using The Genuine Renault Disc In The Reader,but It Turned From Green To Red Last Week,and It Is Still On Red.
Please Help Me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a Renault new in 2004 which the TMC never worked in 2006 I bought a new disc which when I put it in the TMC worked. I don't think the 2004 disc supported TMC.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sat Nav Red

Tmc Is Working Ok Its Green All The Time.the Little Sat Dish Is The Thing Thats Always Red,thats Why It Dont Work.
Any More Ideas Chaps Please
John

·
Registered
29 Posts
The little sat thing is red if it has not picked up all the satellites, it will work ok with some of the satellites as you may have noticed it knows where you are even with it in red.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts