Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a problem with the heating fan on my car. A garage told me it is due to a fault in the resistor pack but Renault don't make them for my car any more and I can't therefore buy a new one. The fan works perfectly in warm weather but not cold and damp winter when I need it most! Is anyone familiar with this problem and does anyone have a Haynes manual thay they could upload a pdf of the heating pages for me to see?

My other problem is rain coming in through the back doors which soaks the mats - does anyone know how I could rectify this?

Apart from these issues, the car is reliable and lovely to drive which is why I'm trying to fix the problems rather than get another car!

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me :smile2:

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
When it's not working what are the symptoms?
Resistor pack is so common it has become a kind of knee jerk to any fan issue.
Burned out resistors don't get well in warm weather.

If you have rain coming in, the car is likely humid and damp plays hell with electrics.
Do you have a sunroof? The drain hoses get blocked and the water is then free to find the next easiest way to ground.
Can you see where on the doors it's getting in? Doors get water in by the glass. There are drain holes in the bottom of the inside of the doors to let it out. If they get blocked the water fills up and runs into the car. Poking the holes free with a stick will solve it.
For both doors to be blocked seems unlikely, that's why I'm thinking sunroof or some other single issue.
Welcome to the forum btw :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Brendan,

Thank you for your reply. Interesting what you say about the resistor pack possibly not being the issue. The garage thought it was but couldn't sort it out as the part isn't available from Renault any more. I do have a sunroof but it's sealed up. I can't see water coming in there. I don't know what part of the back doors the rain comes in. I'd have to watch it while it's raining I guess. Regards, Mary.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,020 Posts
Agree with Brendan likely to be the door drains blocked.... you may find them by looking underneath the door and hopeful poking with a thin screwdriver/rod
Or take door cards off and have a look from inside, I suspect bottom of doors may be full of water.
Other things to check is that door seals are not ripped or missing.

And about resistor back, they don't get better if they burn out.
What is the blower doing when it gets damp/cold ?

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
Hi Brendan,

Thank you for your reply. Interesting what you say about the resistor pack possibly not being the issue. The garage thought it was but couldn't sort it out as the part isn't available from Renault any more. I do have a sunroof but it's sealed up. I can't see water coming in there. I don't know what part of the back doors the rain comes in. I'd have to watch it while it's raining I guess. Regards, Mary.

Depending on how that sunroof was sealed and how long ago it could be leaking again.
I'm not familiar with that car but generally drains run down the pillars. The ones at the side of the windscreen, the A pillar and in some cars the ones between the front and rear doors, the B pillar.

No need to wait for rain. If the door holes are blocked poking them now clears them and if that was the problem, next time it rains you have no water to worry about. If there is still water in there now, swinging the door back and forth might get a sloshy gurgly noise out of it.
I would say poking them out every year or so is a good idea anyway.
When the fan is not working is it a complete failure, or on and off or does it work only at one speed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Agree with Brendan likely to be the door drains blocked.... you may find them by looking underneath the door and hopeful poking with a thin screwdriver/rod
Or take door cards off and have a look from inside, I suspect bottom of doors may be full of water.
Other things to check is that door seals are not ripped or missing.

And about resistor back, they don't get better if they burn out.
What is the blower doing when it gets damp/cold ?
Thanks for your reply DD. The fan is working perfectly at the moment - always does in warm weather. It works on all speeds and in winter comes on randomly or not at all.

Thanks for your reply DD. The fan is working perfectly at the moment - always does in warm weather. It works on all speeds and in winter comes on randomly or not at all.

·
Premium Member
3,568 Posts
A resistor pack has different resistors in it for the low speeds and a straight through for full speed.
Typically the low speed resistors burn up and often melts the plug and wires leaving only the straight through or top speed working.
If the problem was all year round you might start to think the switch but the co-incidence with the damp is too strong.
One of our cars packs up the electric steering if wet gear is left in the car overnight.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,020 Posts
That is not a resistor pack problem, Brendan has described what happens when the pack fails and this is not it.
Doesn't solve your problem as could be a number of issues, damp being one.
My thoughts would be towards poor connections.
When dry/warm, motor is spinning happily with little load but when works a little harder (damp) not getting the supply it needs.
Or damp affecting a connection.
At a stretch, in damp, air flow being restricted so something is overheating and switching off (self protection)

Could be a right pain to find but I would be starting at switch and working through each connection/plug, electrical cleaner spray, nice bright contacts, no green gunge.
Changing pollen filter, a dirty filter will restrict air flow and will be worse when damp.
Clearing all drains that could be allowing water into cab area...scuttles, sunroof and doors. Also check boot area, water can seep in from tailgate or lights.
Run with aircon on at all times... has a drying effect so will improve drying out, heater can still be used with AC on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:

Hi all.

Following your suggestions my brother has been looking at my car to see if he can find the fault, that causes my heater fan to stop working. At first it seemed only to stop working in cold damp weather, but now that's not always the case. The other day when it was hot dry and sunny, it wouldn't work at all for a short while.

Here's a summary. Laguna 1, 2000 Air con model, with rotary switches for heating and heater motor fan. It has 4 fan speeds clockwise, PLUS four additional positions for recirculation ANTI-clockwise. -- See enclosed picture.

Sometimes the fan works and sometimes it doesn't. The weather has been dry and warm, so maybe it's not only caused by damp and cold. And it seems to have two different modes of failure, and both are intermittent. When the heater fan runs, it either runs on ALL speeds, including all the recirculation speeds, or it doesn’t run at all.

PLUS. Sometimes the heater fan will run on all speeds with just ignition switched on but with the engine NOT running. But sometimes the heater fan will ONLY run, when the engine is running as well.

Sometimes, when the heater fan doesn’t work when the ignition is switched on, -- if I then start the engine and then switch on the heater fan, the heater fan will start, but it starts after a short delay.

Questions.
1) Is there some kind of built in time delay device for the heater motor fan?

2) Does the motor fan run off a relay?

3) When the heater fan was working normally on all speeds, both with and without the engine running, I switched the heater fan off and switched on again immediately. Then the fan stopped working completely, for about 10 to15 minutes. Is there some kind of built in protective device that resets itself?

4) Can someone tell me what the item indicated by a red arrow is, in this photo looking through the glove box (removed) apperture?

Thanks very much in advance :)

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts