Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have just joined the site as I'm having trouble with my 1999 Laguna RT Sport 1600. I have already posted a thread explaining my problem. Now, I'm not sure, if I put it in the right place!!!
My lovely car has developed a steering shaking (and the gear stick) which is quite scarey when it happens. It has only happened twice, once in December and again last week. It lasts for about 5-10 mins and the drives normally again. When it happens I can be going slow or fast and its still there, but not when I stop.
Any ideas???
Meme

·
Premium Member
18,909 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum can you here any clicking when turning the steering on full lock i had this with a 405 and it turned out to be the drivers drive shaft cv joint this is just a pure guess??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Donald
I took my car to the local garage today (I have been scared to drive it) They said that the only thing they could find wrong was a worn mounting on the gear box.
I havn't noticed any clicking with the steering on full lock, would the garage be able to tell if the cv joint needed replacing by just looking at it?
Thanks for your reply
Meme

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi there meme and a warm welcome to Renault Forums :) I'm sure one of the tech guys will give advice soon,
Regards Leroy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Engine mount

The engine mount (mid rear of engine/gearbox) links the gearbox/engine to the chassis stopping the engine assy from rotating under acceleration. If it is worn then as you accelerate it will allow the engine to rotate on its axis (by a small amount) but enough to pull on the gear linkages and you will see the gear stick move. Also - as the Laguna has single point mounted lower wishbones then any large rotation of the engine will pull the steering out of alignment. I have just replaced mine and it is a simple job. If you are getting wheel judder then it could also be down to worn inner track rods as they have a ball joint on them which does wear on higher mileage cars. Fairly simple replacement if you can get in at them to free them off as the subframe gets in the way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts