Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!!

I'm own a Renault Mégane III 1.5 DCI 110 HP. My problem is, the car won't start or start very hard in cold weather.

I changed my glow plugs yesterday because I thought that was the problem but no. The car did the same thing the next morning.

If the car starts and while I drive there is no problem with it, or if I stop the engine after a drive it starts up instantly.

The car is from 2011, it has 275k Km.
So my question is what is the cause, if anybody has any idea it would be apreciated.
Here is two video:
Old glow plugs: Old glow plugs
The next morning start:

Thank you for the answers in advance.

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
5,945 Posts
Hi JusTnaG and Welcome:)
The good news is that your battery sounds healthy.
A major cause of poor cold starting in diesels is low rail pressure.
This can be due to slow cranking speed or a leaking injector.
It only takes one bad injector to cause the rail pressure to fall.
Search here for injector leak off test. It's fairly simple to organise.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,841 Posts
At this time of year it may well be cold start as opposed to "hard starting having stood overnight" which isn't really cold start issues and possibly as Brendan describes..... any push in fittings (fuel filter) can also let fuel run back to tank and give a hard start after standing for a while.

If you have any sort of OBD scanner you can probably check rail pressure at crank speed....over 200bar should be okay (may be too low), 300-400 ideal...... if you can see that, put worries about fuel/rail pressure to one side.

Question is, how cold is cold for you at the moment?
Second is did you have this problem with warmer weather?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is my first car. I bought it in July. And I had no problems with it until now. I'm from romania and i came to work here in Germany, so last month I drove 1300km in one day with it. Cold nowadays here maximum -3. But as temperature became more low the problem was more and more noticable. Until today morning when was -3 and the car won't start at all, today made the video and yesterday changed the glow plug. Glad I live in a stephill so I had option B to hill start it. Also my temperature in the hud was way of in the video it said -11 but it was -2, -3 Celsius.

·
Registered
Espace 2.0 dci dynamiq 6 speed manual / 1996 Honda Blackbird CBR 1100 XX
82 Posts
Dont wish to contradict anyone but watching the video the engine seems to be cranking slower than I would expect of a well charged battery.
Perhaps you could try another battery jumped onto your existing one and see if that makes any difference. As said before these diesels need to crank smartly to start. How old is the existing battery ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
By the looks of it is pretty new. This problem persist for weeks now. So poor battery is probably out of juice when every morning i had to try 5-6-7 times to start the engine. Also the dash said today battery low to start engine after who know how many tries. My work place is 13 km away so starting up battery dies recharges for 13 km then after 10 Hour of work in the parking lot does the same3 thing hard start... When its probably plus Celsius outside cause I work from 6 to 16. And battery charges for another 13km while i come back home. So probably thats one another problem, probably low on charge.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If possible charge the battery overnight and see if that improves the situation. Or just take it for a 50km blast to put back in what you are taking out every week. 13km just not enough to replenish a battery in the winter IMHO.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Today after the difficult start I drove aproximative 40 km with high rpm around 2k. Since than the car is parked I have not touched it. Should I give it a go and see if starts or not and record it maybe you can notice something? 4 Celsius outside now.

·
Registered
82 Posts
It may be worth checking the glow plugs are actually getting power on start up.
Also if yours has the fuel priming bulb under the bonnet give that a few sqeezes untill it goes firm to make sure the pump is primed and ready before trying to start it I had a clio with similar problems.. hard to start but fine when running.
Turned out to be one of the leakoff pipes was drawing air into the system overnight when the engine was not running. I think you need to first rule out the battery by charging it fully and see if improves the starting in cold weather.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The glow plug light may well go out after a few seconds.. it does on my espace dci. Dancing Dad explained to me why that is when I asked the same question a while ago

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you have given it a good run as you say the battery should be charged up.... unless it is faulty . Check the battery leads and engine earth leads as well.. anything that is going to drain power when starting up .

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well that started better !
Still cranking a little slowly in my opinion but certainly better that your first video. Get the battery checked out to be sure.
The fuel bulb didnt seem to be going firm. There is a one way valve in these that can fail but they are not expensive to replace. That may be why there is an air bubble in the feed pipe to the pump.

·
Registered
82 Posts
If you can , check the battery voltage when you arrive home and again before you try and start the engine in the morning. Make a note of the voltages. The battery should have a date on it somewhere.... anything over 5 yrs old and the battery is getting near the end of its life.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts