Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a pinhole leak in the fuel return line on Renault master 2.5 100hp
It looks like the line has been rubbing against the pipe in front, I noticed it dripping but if I bent the pipe apart at that point I can get it to spray from the pinhole to locate it

Is there a way to repair this pipe or is is a replacement needed, I can find the fuel feed pipe available but not seeing the return pipe for sale anywhere

Is it 6x8mm pipe, is there any chance of me cutting out the 15mm damaged section and using compression fittings to joint it back together, or a barbed fitting inside until I get round to replacing the pipe? I'd rather fix it ASAP if possible

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
22,330 Posts
Barbed fitting inside and a couple of jubilees should work
Compression will not work without steel (copper) inserts to support the plastic.
Pneumatic "push in" fittings may work...8mm is a standard OD and they seal with an O ring

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ta I will try to get a barbed fitting on but it’s quite rigid pipe… there’s a well stocked farming suppliers in the town (v rural) like an independent machine Mart I’ll head in the morning and see if they’ve got anything suitable , maybe a sharkbite style 8mm

·
22,330 Posts
Dip the end of the pipe in a cup of boiling/very hot water.... softens and lubes.
Check the ID of the fitting will not close down the return too much

·
Registered
604 Posts
Tried repairing similar plastic line on petrol engine, no luck.
May hold for few days but starts to leak again. Or I haven't found the right repaire kit.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,254 Posts
araldite will work
dry the area, ( might need to disconnect the pipe) rub the surface with a bit of wet and dry, cover with araldite and repeat
Seems to work for me ,

·
22,330 Posts
I do worry about you at times Ourkid.
Having said that, I used this stuff last year to refix and seal a pair of electrodes in a pressurised plastic pipe housing (ABS)...... stuck like the proverbial to a blanket, cures rock hard and sorted my problem while saving 200 odd quid on a replacement for a minor leak.
JB WELD MAC8265-S-TEX 8265-S Auto Weld, Dark Grey : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did wonder about cutting a slice of similar pipe to cover over it, with the cut at the back like a big C clip, covering the inside with something like instant gasket or araldite and snapping it over to cover the hole. I've done the same with copper pipe and soldered it when someone's mistakenly run a pipe under a floorboard I was screwing down in just the right place. Maybe that can be plan B. Or cutting it can be plan B if that doesn't hold

·
38,254 Posts
I do worry about you at times Ourkid.
Having said that, I used this stuff last year to refix and seal a pair of electrodes in a pressurised plastic pipe housing (ABS)...... stuck like the proverbial to a blanket, cures rock hard and sorted my problem while saving 200 odd quid on a replacement for a minor leak.
JB WELD MAC8265-S-TEX 8265-S Auto Weld, Dark Grey : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools
Have repaired lots of parts on cars with araldite, plastic parts of radiators , Oil return pipe on the Megane, ( 4 years ago, and still holding )
Lost count on how many times I have repaired fuel lines/connectors with it
ANYONE with a PUG will tell you the pipes over the back crack very easily

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

So far we seem to be all good. Used a air heat gun to heat up the fitting and soften the pipe a little bit. It doesn't appear to leak but time will tell. Hole was on a 90degree bend so the fuel pipe has lost one bend but it'll live.

·
38,254 Posts
WOW that's neat
Picture, or link of part used would help here, we luv these types of repairs

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

It was a 1/4 inch barb coupler , looked like this apart from it was silver instead of brass
I had my gas torch and an empty bean tin to try the boiling water if it didn't soften but left the naked flame out to start as there is oil absolutely everywhere on that van.
Fortunately the air gun seemed to do it and I heated the fitting as well a fair bit first just so it didn't go cold when brought back together.

Lucky to have a pretty well stocked engineering / farm supplies shop in town about 2 minutes drive away, MDT Framlingham if anyone is in the North Suffolk area, well worth a look

I had a leak on no1 injector filter rod too filled the whole injector socket up with diesel and overflowed everywhere down the timing belt side after taking it out for a run today but fortunately the return pipe repair seemed okay. When I'd taken the pipe off the injector the next fitting down on the filter rod had moved, took the pipe off, tightened it up the rod again with a box spanner and crossed my fingers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts