Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I tried a new battery, thats not the problem. The last time I tried pumping the gas pedal, the car started, then after a few sec went off and ever since I can not start it. I can smell the fuel, but it does not start.

Engine specification:
Motor S9W-A7, 2 799 cm3, 84 kW @ 3 600 RPM, L4, diesel

What is happening now - electrical parts work, I try to start the car and pump gas with the pedal, but it does not work. If I press the gas pedal and leave it at gear 1 or gear Reverse, the car starts moving, but the engine still does not start. By moving, I mean it moves as if its running, but I have to hold the key and pedal, while on the gear.

This is at the end of the following discussion:

·
Premium Member
Renault Scenic 1.6 L 16V 2002 Petrol
15,602 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the double post. Since the old battery is working and currently at 12.5V for a week, I think thats not problem. Can you please give me another suggestion? What are the possibilities? I even added 5 liters diesel more to increase the fuel pressure.

The new battery is:
Varta Blue Dynamic 12V, 80Ah, 740A, F17

·
Premium Member
15,602 Posts
Is there a primer button for the diesel to pump fuel through to the fuel pump and have you used it?

·
Premium Member
15,602 Posts
I'm afraid I don't know a lot more on diesel motors, only the basics for me, is fit fuel filter, prime with a primer button and start, if it don't I need help.
Did it not start when the old battery was on before you changed it.?

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,081 Posts
Still confused
When you turn the key to the start position , does the engine crank/turn?
Ignore pedals just make sure the van is in neutral

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will try in neutral. Before I bought the VAN they told me all filters were changed and that the engine is good. Its only at 142 000 km, so it seems reasonable. The van was sitting for a long time, after the battery fell, I tried starting the car by pumping fuel, but it started for a few sec and then stopped, after that I have not been able to start it.

Where are the glow plugs on this car? And can someone identify the components on the pictures? My guess is:
1. Glow plugs maybe.
2. Alternator maybe.
3. Whole setup.
4. I don't know what this is, I just re-attached it to the plastic holder that it fell from.

·
Premium Member
15,602 Posts
2 is the ABS Brake unit for sure.

1 is some sort of thermostat type connection I think.

4 I don't know, is it part of the headlight? is there the same on the other side? If there is one on the other headlight I suspect it is the head light level adjustment unit.

3 whole setup, I see you found the black plastic screw. Glow plugs will be in the cylinder head.under the air filter.

·
41,081 Posts
so the engine cranks/turns off the key

·
Premium Member
15,602 Posts
Directly under the bonnet hinge on the top of the photo of the whole set up is a white pipe connector with a rubber bulb below it. this rubber bulb is a fuel primer, squeeze it a few times till it goes hard, then try starting the engine.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, the engine cranks, but it does not start. Now I will have a hard time removing the glow plugs if that is the problem. I have to start searching for the correct keys again.

Can you please give me some video, relevant for this vehicle if possible.

Also I don't know if there are any fuses for this and where they are.

·
Premium Member
15,602 Posts
Before you go stripping things make a video of what happens with your dashboard lights right from the beginning when you put the key in till 10 seconds after you have turned the key to actually start it.

Did you try the Priming Bulb?

When you have made the video post it on You Tube. Post the address back here.

It will give us a better idea of what is going on.

·
Premium Member
15,602 Posts
Try spraying some easy start in to see if it will actually fire, maybe it will give it a boost back into life. Other than that I haven't got a clue.

·
41,081 Posts
we have no idea of what you are asking us
You started off with a battery issue
YOU never once mentioned you had bought a non -runner.

You have fitted a battery, but you have not said if you followed @KingWhiskers advice on pumping the primer bulb to get the fuel from the tank to the engine, and then used the Eaststart to allow the engine to start enough to open the injectors to allow the fuel you have got from the tank to the engine to do what its supposed to do.
So what else can we say that will help here..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry I did not mean to offend you.

Can you explain how to do this please?
The battery is not the problem.

1. How to fit the primer bulb?
2. How to use this easystart?

·
41,081 Posts
Re read the thread from start to finish.
@KingWhiskers explains where the primer bulb is..
You need to pump this until it feels firm.
Take the pipe from the air filter where it connects to the engine off, and spray easy start into the place the pipe fitted on the engine ( = intake )
Get someone to turn the key, so the engine cranks.
You then pump the primer and at the same time spray into the intake
The engine will then start,

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Having someone to help me is not possible. I will try to spray and start the engine by myself, despite that its a diesel engine. Can someone point me to the air tube please? If possible on the pictures I already posted. Also if the problem is solved with this easystart, whill I be able to start the engine normally after that?

Second question:
will these keys be enough to work on the engine? I need something to change the glow plugs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts