Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

Pretty much out of ideas with a problem I have with my van. There was a power steering pipe that was leaking so I replaced it. That's when it all started. Everything seems fine for a few miles than steering become very difficult to turn. After a while it suddenly frees up then it happens again. I tried draining and refilling fluid, dispelled all air locks but no different. So, replaced pump. No different. Has to be rack I thought. Replaced rack! No different. So what now? I'm sure you guy will have the answer. Thank you!

Barry

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just to add that the belt on pump is 100k original but seems tight. The pump does get hot but its right next to engine. I dont think the fluid gets too hot but not entirely sure. I used the fluid recommended by Halford but have been unable to find details on the correct fluid elsewhere. Pic attached.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Did you consider that the replacement hose was faulty?
Hose itself or gasket, system sucking air gradually.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,254 Posts
have you bled the system.
leave the cap off the reservoir, slowly turn steering on full lock to the left, now back to straight ahead.
then to the right on full lock, back to the centre, check level. engine running for all of this
IF happy with the level, now turn to the left, and hold it on full lock
DOES the belt squeal, if yes replace belt .
DO all this with the CAP off..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've put original pipes back on in case there was an pinhole or something. Same problem. On two test drives it happened at exactly the same location after 1 mile which was when I was slowing down to a junction. So I then put the clutch in and revved hard while turning and it was back to working for a while. I guess that would point to the pump but I changed it. So the belt? I get no squealing indicating loose and it seems tight and in good nick although 100k miles and 7 years old.
Anyone help?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Ours2012 (and Moxinel). I've done all that many times now. All seems great. No juddering or anything indicating air lock until I guess it all heats up. I've even kept cap off while driving. Makes no difference. When I say it gets tight I'm talking both hands to turn tight.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Thanks Ours2012 (and Moxinel). I've done all that many times now. All seems great. No juddering or anything indicating air lock until I guess it all heats up. I've even kept cap off while driving. Makes no difference. When I say it gets tight I'm talking both hands to turn tight.
For my piece of mind, same belt is driving the generator?

·
Technical Supremo.
Scenic II, 2004, K4MW761, DPO
5,400 Posts
At the risk of creating a mess ..............

You know the output line of the pump - once the steering goes "hard" have somebody open the pump outlet union just a bit and see if it spews all-over.................. if it does open the rack's return line union and see if you get spewed on there - if not you found the problem area.

I suspect a mobile (circulating) blockage introduced while replacing the hose initially

·
Technical Supremo.
5,400 Posts
Further faultfinding:

That pump is a simple mechanical pump confirm please (no sensor/actuator with a wire) on it yes?

If so - Get a 150Bar analogue meter and slap it in series/run-through on the pump output line - you need to see around 120Bar max during normal operation........... typically less than 30 Bar while steering not turning

If at any time the pressure drops while the steering is hard you know the location of the problem

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I’ll try the mess option LvR. Then I think I’ll drain and test all pipes with the airline. I had initially thought about having introduced a blockage but when it worked sometimes had shifted my interest towards the expensive options. ie: pump and rack. Hindsight…
I’ll let everyone know.

·
Technical Supremo.
5,400 Posts
Thanks for all the advice. I’ll try the mess option LvR. Then I think I’ll drain and test all pipes with the airline. I had initially thought about having introduced a blockage but when it worked sometimes had shifted my interest towards the expensive options. ie: pump and rack. Hindsight…
I’ll let everyone know.
The problem is the blockage (if indeed its that) will not be found in a pipe necessarily ............ it could be circulating around the whole system at speed till it gets stuck in a problem area (typically trapping a piston in a barrel) preventing it from moving till you beat on it. That's why it would be a good idea to figure where exactly the issue lies via those measurements - you can isolate the current location and then strip down that particular component to try and find it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the help with this. The problem seems to have cleared or at least temporarily cleared. However during the change of either the rack or pump (prob rack!) I’ve managed to get the Airbag light to come on and the horn to stop working. I’m assuming they are connected. (Not literally but you know what I mean). Can anyone provide a wiring diagram or point me in the right direction. Horn fuse in the cab is fine and I see nothing wrong with connector under the driver seat. I spent a fair bit of time crawling under the exhaust and in both front wheel arches so if wiring or connectors in these areas it may help.
Thanks for any assistance you can give.
Barry

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
38,254 Posts
Take cowling off the steering column, follow the wires down, and HOPE you have only damaged the wiring low down ,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for that ours2012. Do you or anyone else know the route the wiring takes? I’m struggling with it. I wasn’t working anywhere near the steering wheel area. I did get a flat battery during my strip down so disconnected it and recharged. A bunch of wires were in my way in the drivers wheel arch but I’ve followed them and they all seem to be exhaust sensor wires. If someone could give me an idea of the route of the horn and airbag wires along with connectors it would be helpful. Barry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts