Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, 'm new, so please be gentle!

I’ve got an issue with my Renault Master Van. It was left unused for 3 months and I tried to start it yesterday. The battery was completely flat (I tried to jump start but no luck). I changed the battery, and it's turning, but won’t fire up. The red led (immobiliser) flashes as usual and then goes solid when you put the key and put the ignition on (same happens when you try to start it).
The van was left open (Immobilizer unarmed) when the battery went flat. The van drove perfectly before we stopped using it 3 months ago, and never had any issues with starting/or immobiliser.

I checked the fuel, fuses, locked/unlocked with the key multiple times before trying to start, i also short battery leads (on the vehicle, after removing the battery) for 30 mins and reconnected and tried to start again. I have only 1 key.
I'm looking into towing it to Renault garage on tuesday (I'm in Spain). Is there anything obvious I could try?

It’s a 2.5dci 100hp 2007. Video below:

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Digging some more on the forum and facebook it seems thet the solid red light can indicate damaged ECU, would that make sense (i suppose jump start might have damaged it)? If so is that a complicated/time consuming repair? As i need to be heading back to the UK mid month the latest...

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
37,402 Posts
Just hang on here, Very rare A ecu will go by jump starting
Are you getting a Glow plug light on

·
Registered
2 Posts
Evening all I too have this same fault. Yes my glow plug light is on then goes off. i have also tried the central locking trick but still no start.. any help

·
37,402 Posts
Evening all I too have this same fault. Yes my glow plug light is on then goes off. i have also tried the central locking trick but still no start.. any help
Can you please start your own thread

·
37,402 Posts
Check your under bonnet fuses, possibly just a dirty connection on the legs, or even a blown fuse from jumping
Without your glow plug light working you wont get it to start
THERE is a thread on here for this by @Nottnoc , you might be lucky using the Search function
Use advanced search

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check your under bonnet fuses, possibly just a dirty connection on the legs, or even a blown fuse from jumping
Without your glow plug light working you wont get it to start
THERE is a thread on here for this by @Nottnoc , you might be lucky using the Search function
Use advanced search
Thanks very much, will do! By bonnet fuses, you mean ones on the battery positive post? I know that there are some reIays under the bonnet, but i didn't realise that there were fuses too. So far i checked the ones under the steering well and the battery ones, but only visually as i didn't have many tools on me (i didn't expect the van to give me any problems when i was going to pick it up). I'm currently in Barcelona, and the van is an hour away from me. I provisionally booked a tow and a Renault garage for Wednesday, so the plan is to arrive 2 hrs earlier to check couple of things before van is taken away. Thanks again for your suggestions and I will come back with an update on Wednesday.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi guys,
Bit of an update on this. Checking Master’s garage manual this fault (warning light staying on after 3 secs) seems to be:
‘key recognised, injection system protected or blank
We went this morning to where the van was kept, to run some tests before the tow track arrived. I checked with mutimeter (and cleaned all the legs) of all the fuses I was able to access – under the steering wheel, under the bonnet an on the actual battery. All fine. I also swapped some of the relays around and visually inspected all the cable looms and I touched all the connectors I was able to access. Nothing. We ended up taking the van to the local Renault, the engineer run some basic tests and confirmed that the warning light is not a key issue, but something else. He connected his OBD tester, there were some faults that he was able to clear, but one stays on – no injection detected (this is translated from Spanish – not sure how the fault would be in English). He told us to leave the van with him and he’ll get in touch. Does that point as in any direction at all?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi everyone,
Bit of an update from the mechanic. They are looking into broken cable/cables in the loom, as this is what they expect the issue is. I will keep you updated on the progress. Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi everyone. We just had an update from the garage. They reckon that the loom is ok, and they have sent out the ECU for testing/reprogramming, as they are suspecting it could be damaged. They are expecting to have it back tomorrow/Friday. We are getting to the point, that if the van is not ready by the end of the week, we will be looking into flying back to UK (we need to be back for our jobs etc), and leaving the van behind and collecting later in the year (when the travel restrictions are eased). We’ll see what the mechanic says, but I’m thinking also about moving the van to a bigger garage for repairs (the one that the van is in at the moment is a Renault dealership but rather small) I’m thinking that maybe there’s more chance repairing it there? Also (I’m obviously not a mechanic and my knowledge is very limited) but I doubt it’s faulty ecu. Looking through different forums in 90% cases with these symptoms it turns out to be a dodgy cable in the loom etc, so yeah, not much hope left…

·
37,402 Posts
Its usually the loom by the Nearside Headlight, or it could be still in the correct position ( Inside the fuse box)
Its Blue, and the wires either side of this plug tend to either rot, or break
Most members tend to wire from either side of the loom, and then cut the plug out and have done

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Its usually the loom by the Nearside Headlight, or it could be still in the correct position ( Inside the fuse box)
Its Blue, and the wires either side of this plug tend to either rot, or break
Most members tend to wire from either side of the loom, and then cut the plug out and have done
Thanks ours2012, I will try to give this a go if i have chance before we leave.

·
37,402 Posts
Thanks ours2012, I will try to give this a go if i have chance before we leave.
Are you getting it back to work on then?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you getting it back to work on then?
The mechanic suppose to come back to us on Friday, depending on the outcome we will decided what next. We have Eurotunnel crossing booked for Tuesday, so if the van is not ready, we will look into flying back to UK next week and leave van behind, as the time is pressing now. We may need to move the van to a bigger dealer, if we find time in between the tow and us leaving, i might have a go at the blue loom (i saw it when i was checking the fuses) however I'm not sure if we'll have the time. The mechanic technically checked all the cables, at least that's what he reckons...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi guys, bit o an update on the issue. The van is FIXED!!! It turned out to be faulty ECU. The mechanic organised 2nd hand ECU, cloned the settings for our van and it’s all good. Thanks everyone for your help. Could we kindly ask forum mod to change add FIXED to the title of the thread? Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts