Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello :)
I'm new on here and new to owning a Renault van

We've just bought a 2003 Master (second generation, with the first style radiator grill). It is an ex welfare ambulance bus. We would like to put a single passenger seat in the front (currently there is no seat) we'd prefer a single swivel seat rather than a bench seat, but finding a suitable seat has been proving difficult for newbies like us :eek:

I wondered if we could use a driver's seat? or are there any other renault seats that may fit please? the other issue would be a seat belt....

Also there is no seat base, only holes in the floor. Ideally we would like to use a swivel plate for our camper conversion.

Thanks in advance, I apologise if this has been asked lots before

·
Registered
3 Posts

We've just bought a 2003 Master (second generation, with the first style radiator grill). It is an ex welfare ambulance bus. We would like to put a single passenger seat in the front (currently there is no seat) we'd prefer a single swivel seat rather than a bench seat, but finding a suitable seat has been proving difficult for newbies like us :eek:

I wondered if we could use a driver's seat? or are there any other renault seats that may fit please? the other issue would be a seat belt....

Also there is no seat base, only holes in the floor. Ideally we would like to use a swivel plate for our camper conversion.

Hi Badger...I am a new Master owner with exactly this same issue. Was wondering if you have a solution by now? Sorry I have not been able to help you, and am about to tear my hair out. One of my thoughts was to bolt a 250mm turntable pedestal through the floor, then purchase a captains seat to attach. Still waiting a response from a local company regarding this. Would love to hear if you have been successful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello :) yes I managed to get a Renault Mascott seat from a scrap dealer on ebay in the end, same size, and even upholstery! it came with a base and seat belt and the holes were already in the floor. The van's were from the same year, hope that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Thanks for the quick response Badger! Dunno if this solution will help me here in Australia. Renault Master vans are relatively new here as are other Renault model vans. Another thought I had was to check wreckers for a Sprinter seat box/pedestal. When we remove the dual seat there will be no seat pedestal. So am left to source that! The actual bucket chair and swivel plate are no problem to purchase. Would all have to be installed and certified by an engineer for our laws, of course.

Another question I have for you...did you also swivel the driver's seat? If so, is the handbrake location a problem you have been able to get around? Because the Master is so new in this country, there aren't any available products yet. Am going to also ask our Renault dealer if the VW Crafter fold down hand brake might fit. They also sell VW's. Apparently Aussie seat manufacturing companies are working on this Master swivel seat issue and unfortunately cannot give me any indication of timing. We have a deadline for our MH completion and cannot wait around indefinitely. Sorry for the big whinge!

Hope your project is up and running. Cheers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hello :) the driver side seat might take a swivel, as it raises the seat, but it might not turn all the way around. The passenger seat is no problem, we are considering putting them in, but we don't need them right away. Some minibus places sell the swivels too, or you might be able to get european ones on ebay and shipped?

The Mascott and the Master came out the same time here, but we're in the UK. The Mascott I was told is the 'heavy duty version' of the Master, and for some reason they make them with single seats. I think the one we took parts from was over 5ton, it was more of a truck. I think the Vauxhall Movano is similar if not the same as the Master, just another badge, but the parts fit.

The Renault Espace, a people carrier had similar size seats when I was searching online, so scrap yards might be a good place to look and the one I bought from even measured the base for us (the holes are fortunately already there, so you can measure the dimensions and see if any seats might fit first). There is not much to the base, I think one could be welded to the right size, or a driver's side one might fit?

The project went quickly thanks, really happy with the Master, it's a camper now, it's a good base vehicle :) the conversion deadline did make us work quickly, lol! so only really doing finishing touches now, we did the kitchen first and had a folding bed base welded, we thought if we got all the basics in, then we can add more later or change it around after the deadline, it was much less stressful than our last conversion

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks again Badger. I am still on the hunt! Renault Australia will get me a seat pedestal/box from France for an exhorbitant amount of dollars! Just phoned a wreckers now who have a 2005 and 2006 Master with driver seat intact. All I need now is for my local dealer to tell me if this will fit our new model. And to get this info, is like pulling teeth.

The vehicle will be going to the motorhome manufacturer next week and is going to take 12-16 weeks to complete the fit-out. So we do have the time to get this seat business sorted. The dual front passenger seat is going in the back as part of the dinette as well as for passengers. We are very happy with the van and how she drives. In fact...we love her!

Good luck with your new motorhome. Happy travels too. Do you have your first trip planned? Cheers :driving:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, I own 2001 master, I have put a driver's sea.t and base, in the passenger side,works a treat. Van is 2001 2.2 dci

1 - 7 of 7 Posts