Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone

Previously I came to you with a turbo problem. All in all, it took me a full month to get the car working again (this mainly because I didn't accept to have new Renault parts put on, for £££, so I spent more time ebaying).

After 1 month, I had the turbo replaced, but also a cat and intercooler change. The latter two because, as they said, the failed turbo led to the cat and intercooler being swamped with oil.

All of the replacements have been done, and yesterday I went for a short test drive. Two issues I observed:

1. the car has been hungry for oil. Before leaving York it displayed a "oil top-up" message. Topped up, did 40 more miles, then again "oil top-up". Topped up again and did the return journey and no more messages. I'll be testing it again and see if it's still hungry.
  2. most obvious difference between how the car is working now and how it did before, is that it's definitely not as nippy. Previously I could comfortably go up to 2500 RPM and the post 2000 RPM acceleration was v good. Now, after 2100 RPM it already feels like it's climbing a mountain, after 2250 you feel vibrations and at 2500 you think you're climbing Everest.
I'm puzzled by this lack of peak performance and I'm unsure about what might be:
- is it the second-hand turbo? It's still a Garrett, but maybe it wasn't in the best of conditions?
- can it be the cat? It's not a Renault original and, compared to the OEM one, it looked a bit thinner.
- can it be something else?

Many thanks for any ideas and opinions. A good day to all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Has the EGR valve been checked?

It would do no harm to check the inlet plumbing for signs of excessive oil.

Is the crankcase breather pipe blowing excessive pressure?:)
Hi. I don't think the garage people bothered to check the EGR valve (more busy with labour billing maybe).

Is this something I can do for myself (how?) or do I need to go underneath the car?

Many thanks madnoel10 :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.