Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over last 3-4 weeks my car has not started the first time each day, i.e. when cold. It turns over but won't start. If I left it for a couple of mins, it often did start.

Changed spark plugs and it started first time for a few days. Now, as well as not starting first thing, if it does start, it can cut out when idling so you have to keep revving it whilst stationary. Once its warmed up, it doesn't cut out.

Then, if you leave the car for a short or long period of time, it may not start. Had Green Flag out and he put a tester between the distributor cap and coil and reseated connections to the coil and it started fine. Two days later, it wouldn't start and hasn't started since.(4 days now).

I keep reading about TDC sensor. Should I replace that? Do I have to get a garage to do it and how much is it?

Amny help appreciated.

Jean

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum.:)

What age Megane do you have?

It does sound like a Top Dead Centre sensor fault,but the locations of them vary from different ages and engine types.

EDIT;Sorry,I've just seen that it's an R reg!:eek:.I guess it's the 8 valve engine?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Non-starting Megane

I have an X-reg Megane Auto Expression 1.6 and it is also experiencing problems starting. The engine turns over when the key is turned but frequently doesn't fire, particularly when the weather is warm, the engine is hot or the fuel tank is even slightly less than full - I have to fill up every two days.

I had it in the garage yesterday and was pretty much told I was lying as there was no way it could happen, but this must be a common problem, because the Clio I had before (1.4 Alize, 2000) did exactly the same.

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
hi and welcome to the forums, lol thats funny i had a car the exact same as yours on friday with the same fault, the cars not burgandy is it lol:crazy:

the fault was the tdc sensor, its very common and gives these symptoms that your describeing, i had a spare sensor in my box but i found out it was no good as the automatic sensor has dowles to secure it to the box lol.
so i ended up just cleaning it for the customer as he was in a rush, gave him my mobile number and he phoned this morning to say his car has been brand new. so you could try this m8, its worked quite a few times lol.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually got my car to start yesterday by leaving the key in the ignition for about 30 seconds after switching on and waiting for the immobiler light to go off. It didn't start first time but I noticed the battery light went off and then it started.

Also, it seemed to be about two hours before it wouldn't start again, so something had cooled down sufficiently. I did the little trick above and it started.

Anyway, going to get a TDC sensor tomorrow and hope this fixes it. thanks for all the comments.

Jean

·
Registered
3 Posts
Following Alex's advice, I have cleaned the TDC sensor and the car is now performing much better.

I did no more than get an electronic component cleaner spray from Halfords and give the TDC a few good blasts!

Next time it goes in for a service I'll get it done properly, but for now, I'm happy that it starts when hot and I don't have to keep topping the tank up every couple of days.

Thanks for the advice, Alex. I've bought you a virtual beer, you'll be pleased to know!;)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Did our advice help you too Jean Pereira?.:)

Any news?:)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Did you find the Sensor on your 8v megane 1 ?

I have a similiar problem and cannot find a ref if it exists on the 8v 98 reg megane.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
My starting problems were resonably similar and solved when the sensor was changed to the modified version. The sensor detects the position of the engine and adjusts things accordingly, apparently. The guy who does my car had to solder new contacts as he exlained it was a modified past. I am not technical but this may help you to ask the right questionsd at your renault garage. My car has started fine since.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Itermittent Starting Problems

Hello all,
I am new today, and am amazed to find other drivers with the same fault as mine! I spoke to my local garage (the owner has had a Megane Scenic for some time) and he reckons it may be the Cam Shaft Selector Sensor - I understand this is the same as the Top Dead Centre sensor. (About £100+). I also spoke to someone else who suggested locking the car - and then unlocking it! He says sometimes the remote locking can interfere - have tried it and it has worked (coincedence? Dunno!!) Will look in detail at all your advice as well!
Thanks
Claire

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine had the crank sensor go, which meant the plugs weren't sparking, a second hand one from the scrappy sorted it, although I swear the old one would work after a clean, its just a magnet after all.

·
Registered
39 Posts
hi i know im a month out lol but i got a megane 1.6e rt sport the other week and the power cut happens to me when at junctions occassionally, i turn key again and then works fine also i read above about the central locking that really bugs me and dunno if its a fault because i unlock the car and the immobiliser gives me , no joke, 10 secs to start the car else it wont start i have to start the car before sitting down it cuts in that fast.

from above i believe its the TDC sensor but i know nothing bout cars im going to a garage and may replace it if they think its the fault but is there different sensors to get cheaper or better etc or is a TDC sensor same as any other?

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
Hello form OZ.....
Have suffered similar problems with intermittent starting in my 2001 Scenic Rx4,(F4R 2.0L) and I cleaned the TDC sensor about 6 months ago now and it's been perfect ever since.
My advice to anyone is try and learn a little about your car, as if the garages know about this clean and fix you can bet 10:1 they will do the same and charge you for the event to the tune of a new TDC sensor:steam: . Also, ask for the old part back and if refusal ensues, don't pay until the faulty part is produced.
The best thing about being able to do your own simple repairs is that if it doesn't work you can go and replace the part and you are no worse off.

There have been a few Renault owners down here who've done the TDC clean and all have saved the cost of a new sensor for now at least.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Intermittent starting problems

Had my mechanic look at the sensor. He took it out and cleaned it, put it back and it's been fine since! (Touch wood). Now having other problems...... has anyone else had probs with ignition coils? I have had them all replaced in the last 2 years, and today I have just had the 1st one replaced again!! This was new in April 2006. Do they normally go so quickly? It's very annoying :crazy: !

·
Banned
910 Posts
anyone care to post pic of where tdc sensor is for peoples knowledge thanks

Reactions: kevin ruscoe

·
Registered
5 Posts
starting problems

hey, was reading about the problems you have had with your meganes not starting right. my megane coupe 1.4 16v 2001/2002 is having a similar problem,
at first i thought it was the battery or alternator but have just had both cheack and both in good condition, but now i dont know if it could be this sensor,

whats happening is similar but havent noticed it being affected by weather, when its been left sitting for a couple of hours wont start, having to bump start it......
ive not a few weird things like sometimes when it starts it'll start shaking and stall unless my foot on the throtle, any help would be a great help

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got the throttle body changed but it did'nt make any noticeable difference.
The weird thing was that when it was warmed up it ran fine, but when left to cool it really didnt want to start unless a lot of throttle was used for a minute or two.

I ended up passing the 8v megane to someone else.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts