Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys
new here had a good search about but still as daft as when i started:crazy:
Ok here goes My wife Donnas megane is a Y plate 1.6 automatic petrol 16v. It had a very clattery waterpump however the crank pully bolt was soooo not moving:mad:

The guy fixing it for us (friend) had to borrow another friends air/windy gun to get the bolt loose as you do:d and torqe it back up so he could return to his garage to sort it.

THe car at that instant would not start no worries they thought so they pushed it round to my house 200 yards or so and chris set about putting on the new pump a new gates belt etc chris is a vauxhall teck so not me fafifng with it.:eek:
That is the background This is the current situation
1/ have strong spark at plugs
2/ fuel getting through (smell) and wet plugs
3/ immobiliser lights ok
4/ central locking ok
:confused:yet it still will no go arrgghh:confused:

After reading this forum advised chris of tdc sensor and he has cleaned but no joy so hopefully before i have to get a new one some kind generous person hahahahahah Will recognise the problem before Donna kills me :eek::eek:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: heelp with this flippin megane haha

Ok guys update
Did compression test today oh my:eek:
guessing timing slip have chris back tomorrow to correct
just glad it didnt start now hahah so fingers crossed:d

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

:doh well there is only sixteen ill lend hm my hammer :d
seriously though had a visit to pull u they have 7 of em in so
should be ok

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts

the reason this has happened is the crank pulley is not keyed, so the timing moved when he undid the nut. then when he tried to start it, the valves hit the pistons. with the results you can guess.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Well guys you were right on
The exhaust valves all dead (ping):(

anyway got new head all cleaned and skimmed ect
chris is putting this on for me however he is now very
sheepish about doing the final belt build and timing so it looks like i ve to do it my self:eek: i have health issues hence someone else doing it for me oh joy:eek:
so to the tools it says in the haynes to make one however this looks a bit shady has anyone done this?
other than fleebay is there any fellow fifers or scots that know where to buy the tool local or hire it?
I dont want to wreck another head:devil: any comments sincerely appreciated but keep it clean eh :d
Thanks guys

·
Premium Member
519 Posts

Ebay is a good place for the kit - buy, use and re-list when finished with.

If the drive pulleys have been removed from the camshafts, then another special locking tool will be required to hold the cams when the nuts are re-tightened.

·
Registered
7 Posts

hi shiloho1 if you want to buy one of these timing kits theres a company. there called toolacademy.com there are two make,s of kit there both £30ish plus vat plus postage i think it works out about £47. ok hope this helps . gats

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Well guys still here :confused:
Chris got a hold of the sealy kit head on rocker ect
all going well:d timing kit fitted to cams and pin srewed all lined up fine going good then chris finds pin stuck when trying to remove so he wiggled the pully bolt and got it free but well bent(i think it bent when he was putting the pully bolt in to turn it twice) so guess what now............ The pully bolt is stuck again
so cant re build arrrgggghhhhh:devil: :crazy:spoke to another friend gordon who has windy gun he said not a chance not going near it i have to come back and ask you guys for your opinion on the best way to remove this tight nut before i enven toutch it:eek:

Therfore any suggestions greatfully recieved.
My wife loves this car and it is super when running but you professioals must have valium in the workshop to keep you sane hahahah:crazy:

R

·
0 Posts

Sounds to me as though you have used the wrong TDC setting pin!:eek: I think you have used the 2.0 F4R setting pin? which is to long. The K4M setting pin doesn't actually lock the engine in place. You have to turn the crank shaft until it touches the setting pin and you can use it to fully tighten the pulley bolt.

These are rough sketches so not 100% accurate this is what should have happened when using the TDC setting pin which puts it in compression so you can't bend it

You must have used the wrong setting pin so it's in a similar attitude to this sketch so you have consequently bent it! Also means you can't have had the engine set properly at TDC either.:eek:

If you are not sure where TDC is you could put a long screwdriver through No1 plug hole (gear box end) so it's touching the piston and you can see when it reaches it's maximum travel which should correspond to the crank web touching the end of the TDC setting pin.

I generally use an air impact wrench though another way to remove the pulley bolt is to remove the TDC sensor and get some one to wedge a large flat screw driver into the starter motor ring gear whilst some one else undoes the pulley bolt or buy a crank locking tool http://www.rapidonline.com/1/1/16026-flywheel-holding-tool-renault-petrol-diesel.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

That has got to be it me thinks:cool: ill text chris one other thing is your post says screwdriver gearbox side for no one..... i noticed that chris had the screwdriver at the other end ie closest to the wing and belt end mmm could you please confirm which end.:crazy:

thank you so much for going to all theat trouble for us in your post
r

·
Premium Member
519 Posts

Hi - sorry to hear your woes continue :(

Which engine is this?

Recycled Scenic is referring to jamming a screwdriver in the flywheel starter ring gear - at the gearbox end (opposite end to the crank pulley).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Hiya mm 1.6 16v auto y plate and k4m if that is right term book down at garage hahh
thanks

R

·
0 Posts

For some reason best known to themselves Renault don't follow convention and have No1 cylinder at the gearbox end.

Here is a 2.0 block in a Scenic I repaired a while ago the piston designation is the same as for your K4M you can see that No1 and No4 rise and fall together so your mate Chris can get away with using No4 at the cam belt end to set TDC.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts

Hmm - in one of your posts you said:

"i think it bent when he was putting the pully bolt in to turn it twice"

Can you please clarify what you mean by "turn it twice"?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Thank you very much for that :d
right apparently it says in the haynes that he should rotate the engine manualy two full rotations and then check thie timing is still correct now to do this he put the bolt in the crank left all tools in place as he needed to tighten it up before turning it or thats how it was explained to me hahah:crazy:

R

·
0 Posts

Hi - sorry to hear your woes continue :(

Which engine is this?

Recycled Scenic is referring to jamming a screwdriver in the flywheel starter ring gear - at the gearbox end (opposite end to the crank pulley).
Sorry I guess what I said was a bit confusing

1) Use a large screwdriver jammed in the ring gear resting against the back of the TDC sensor hole so it’s hard up against the bell housing to lock the crank shaft so you can undo the crank pulley bolt.

2) Use a second long screw driver resting on the top of No1 piston which is at the gear box end so when you rotate the engine by hand you visually check that you are near TDC if your not sure where TDC is in relation to the setting pin

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

No it was just fantastic pictures and everything so sincerely :dthanks again

R

·
0 Posts

Thank you very much for that :d
right apparently it says in the haynes that he should rotate the engine manualy two full rotations and then check thie timing is still correct now to do this he put the bolt in the crank left all tools in place as he needed to tighten it up before turning it or thats how it was explained to me hahah:crazy:
Nip the bolt up as you might have to undo it to adjust the timing after checking the timing after 2 manual engine rotations and then when your sure? do the bolt up properly.

You need to remove the TDC setting pin and cam locking tool before turning the engine through 2 revolutions and then try to re-insert them to check the timing.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts