Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm sure it's a bit of a waste to have a Sport Auto. But it's my second car and the boss who drives it most said she prefers an automatic!

Generally I'm pleased with it, although the auto went wrong on us soon after purchase (fixed under warranty), and the red warning light flickers sometimes due not to any oil or brake problem but due to a short-circuit somewhere in the harness. I just live with it now. :rolleyes:

Barry

·
Random Visitor
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the phase 2 is different from phase 1 cuz of the rear lights, and the colour coded trim

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm sure it's a bit of a waste to have a Sport Auto. But it's my second car and the boss who drives it most said she prefers an automatic!

Generally I'm pleased with it, although the auto went wrong on us soon after purchase (fixed under warranty), and the red warning light flickers sometimes due not to any oil or brake problem but due to a short-circuit somewhere in the harness. I just live with it now. :rolleyes:

Barry
I know what you mean. My last car was a rover coupe auto (well CVT) I wanted an auto for the daily traffic jams on the way to work but for fun I have the other car. The boot on the rover was big but the opening was very small. When my baby arrived I couldn't get the push chair in the boot (even though it worked on paper) and he was getting too heavy to keep leaning through to put in the back I had to change. Was looking for a Diesel rover 200 SDi but there were no good ones around for the right price then stumbled across the megane. I've been impressed with it, huge rear doors to get baby in and out of and always get at least 40mpg out of her. The sport badge has nothing to do with performance though, just a spoiler and alloys. I do miss the auto box for the journey to work though!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yeah ive got a phase 2.from what i can tell the grill on the phase 2 was molded into the bonnet where the bonnet on phase 1 sits over the grill.the lights on the phase 2 in my opinion look better.apart from that not sure what else.phase 2 Meganes started from late 99/00 onwards.i dont have colour coded trim on my Megane but weather that was on some of the other models i dont know.

·
Inveterate Bodger
786 Posts
The "Sport" bit is just an option pack AFAIK, it's just like seats, suspension, styling (fogs, sunroof, silly little rear spoiler :)) and the like, and in my case goes with the "Alize" aircon pack.

Though it's probably not entirely representative, my Ph2 issues appear to be:

Recirculation clicking b***s*** on startup, turning fan dial the other way, slamming a door... :D

Some of the rubber door seals have perished

Boot lifter struts sticky (a few banged heads til I learnt to push it all the way), and parcel shelf hinge dowels no longer held in to their slots very well (tends to pop out when I push it just that bit too far!)

Rubbish radio signal strength (aerial issue?)

Clutch making funny finger-on-glass noise when putting a bit of torque thru it on take-off.

Whining gearbox (though not terminal sounding) - these last two being at 74k miles...

Bonnet catch being almost impossible to open.

Any of these sound familiar to other owners? Got some of your own? I know there are some other issues it suffers - sticking ICV and the like - that I'm lucky not to yet suffer with, or not that noticably... but they've flown my mind right now and I need to nip out to the shops!

·
Registered
72 Posts
The majority of the changes to the Phase 2 were 'under bonnet' changes. 1.4 and 1.6 engines were upgraded to 16 valves, giving increased performance and efficiency. The 2.0 engine was changed to a direct injection unit, increasing torque and mpg (when they work). Suspension was also stiffened across the range, seats were changed...more support in phase 2, some prefer some dont. Interior changed, higher quality materials, white dials etc.
Some major and lots of little changes, my mum has phase 1 cabbie, and you most definitly notice the difference in a number of things when i get into my phase 2. You can tell much more than the headlights were changed!
Hope that helps some

·
Registered
22 Posts
I used to own a 1996 phase 1 Megane, and now own a 2001 phase 2. As Davemoly said, the grill is part of the bonnet now, and the bonnet is damn sight heavier!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello there, I recently acquired a megane classic expression 1.9 dti and i wonder how the rear interior light work? Any pointers on these :p
thanks in advance

·
Inveterate Bodger
786 Posts
The unstated issue, of course:
Failing pencil coils :(

...causing general misfiring, jerkiness, stalling, severe lack of power particularly under load (just when you need it!) and massive fuel waste which can then knock on to overheating and catalyser damage.

Just fallen prey to that. Thought I'd clean the engine area up given the huge amount of salt the car's been battering through over the last 4 months. Coils didn't like that one little bit. Had to replace two of them (outer pair), and might have to do the inner pair later. For now, WD40 seems to have sorted them. (Good thing, because some previous cack handed mech has rounded the torx on one of the inner bolts).

Luckily they're not too expensive (£24 or so each for decent-enough Beru units from GSF, plus £1.50 for a fresh sparkplug (mine were badly fouled and overdue for a change anyway), plus VAT), but doing the change can be a nightmare unless you have quite a good toolkit.
Found e.g. I didn't have a proper holder for small torx bits (had to wodge a little blu-tack into a 1/4" socket) and that the gunk holding the fouled plugs into their holes is actually stronger than whatever holds the rubbery suction cup thing into the spark plug socket... cue making up improvised tweezers from barbecue skewers. :crazy: Plus the torx for no.3 cylinder's coil is partly obscured by some mystery, possibly pointless plastic moulded thing on the inlet manifold... probably why that one got rounded, it's almost impossible to get a bit to sit straight in it. Whoever designed this engine layout needs to be taken away by the men in green coats.
Also when the coils fail they leave behind nasty melted-plastic residue that would only shift out of the plug recess bore with use of white spirit, a wire wool bottle brush and much scrubbing. Flamin' Nora. Could've left it, but don't want to risk it somehow affecting the new ones.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Hi I have a w reg 1.4 Alive the other differences with the phase 2 are that is 16 valve and as such the engine is different with the introduction of the four coils and with it the first common fault. but worth it for the improvement accerleration and fuel economy.

The phase 2 also had side airbags I don't think the phase 1 did.

Other faults I have had are the driveshafts been through 4, avoid replacement renault units they are reconditioned just get pattern parts if replacing, water leaks into the driver footwell due to blocked rain channels and of course the faulty TDC sensor.

I have had to replace the rear shocks on mine as it only has the torsion suspension, which also means it can sit quite low when fully loaded, I would never try to tow with it.

Apart from the above faults it has been a great car, although currentely the speedo, heaters, wipers and ABS are out, although I suspect this is my fault and potentially only a blown relay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any idea if the front electric window motor and winder mechanism is the same on the phase 1 as the phase 2? (5 door model)

I need a replacement there seems to be plenty of phase 1's around but not the phase 2's

·
Premium Member
103 Posts
My wife has a Phase 2 Coupe 1.4, a 1999 car bought 7 years ago with 7k on the clock, it now has a massive!!! 71k wow, much loved beast by her all that has been done in 7 years set of front discs, window reg, both drive shafts (down to Renaults inability to keep gaiter clips on) and both wheel bearings (only needed 1 but changed wrong one), I changed both bottom ball joints whilst I was around that area as it has developed a knock on uneven roads, ball joints done knock still evident must be anti roll bar bushes.
All in all a very good car indeed, noisey on the duel carrage.motorways at 80, but if you wanted to do lots of motorway back in 99 then you would have bought a 1.6 or 2.0Ltr, pickup on this little engine is superb on slip roads etc lost a bit now as we changed the 14" steels for 15" Oz Alloys, it is far better built than my Meg 2 CC.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I used to have a phase 1 megane and then found my phase 2, i prefer the look of the phase 2, it looks more smooth and refined, but maybe thats me. i'll admit i have had my fair share of problems with her though. The car used to be a 1.6 16V but some nice person before me found a williams F7R lump n plonked that in instead, which is so much fun but ive had my problems. whoever did the engine conversion didnt uprate the driveshafts or gear box, ive gone through enough drive shafts and summer last year my gearbox went, so i had the whole front end uprated to 2.0l parts and i had a disc conversion on the back, since ive had no problems :d so for the 2 and a bit years ive had he shes probs spent nearly a whole year off the road in all, but at the moment ive got niggly things going on, like a few of you ive got a leak which gets my passenger foot well soaked when it rains, my speedo stoped working for about a year (no milage gain a bonus :d ) in the end it turns out that the wires in a connector by the battery had corroded which caused this problem, after spending a whole day taking the dash apart and linking it up to my friend dignostics kit, a friend found the answer on google :crazy:.
other than that the only other prob i have is one of the rear windows wont open think the motors gone, currently ive only got issues with my engine playing up hoping it just needs a good service.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts