Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bulb changes for clock & tripmeter

I have a R reg megane 1.6 RT and need to change the bulbs behind the clock and the tripmeter. Is it easy to get into the back of them to do this? Please bear in mind, I am about as technically gifted as a daffodil!! :eek:

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hi Polaris.

Hopefully someone who is familiar with your model will be able to offer advice with your post.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sure, remove the speakers on the top of the dash, there are screws underneath them, unscrew and dismount the dash top. Once you do this, you'll get a clear picture of what to do next. ;)

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
DanielX, you are a star!! Finally plucked up the courage to disassemble the dash and got it all done in minutes - and never used a hammer once!!!
MAny thanks for your help.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Can anyone please help.My mates megane(97R) speedo backilighting is inop, you can make out the milage etc so it's just a bulb change also the clock bulb has gone. Has anyone ever removed the speedo and/or clock next to the radio display or is there an easier way to replace these bulbs.Thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Megane dash.

Hi, ive had the dash off my 97 scenic and its fairly simple.

1. Gently prise off the speaker covers and you will find a torques head screw under each, undo these.
2. Adjust the steering wheel down.
3. Prise the dash board away.
4. Un-do the four torques head screws holding the instrument panel on and gently roll the clocks forward.
5. Un-plug the connectors and the bulbs are easily accessible.
6. Before you re-assemble the contacts should be cleaned with scotch-brite or similar.

The clock can be disassembled in a similar way.

Hope this helps.
Chris.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Look Out

Hi, ive had the dash off my 97 scenic and its fairly simple.

1. Gently prise off the speaker covers and you will find a torques head screw under each, undo these.
2. Adjust the steering wheel down.
3. Prise the dash board away.
4. Un-do the four torques head screws holding the instrument panel on and gently roll the clocks forward.
5. Un-plug the connectors and the bulbs are easily accessible.
6. Before you re-assemble the contacts should be cleaned with scotch-brite or similar.

The clock can be disassembled in a similar way.

Hope this helps.
Chris.
all the way you go.....its easy but don't hesitate to change them all.........because with half new ones and half old .......murphy's law will make you the same job again in two weeks............... :p

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
your not wrong!! also will check them before i bolt it back together, done it years ago, replaced the bulb put it all back together to find another bulb had gone, all out again.......aaaghhh

·
Registered
23 Posts
Whilst you're at it, use LED's as they probably will never fail. I've used them from Ultra Leds U.K to fix the bulbs in the electric window switches. They're not much more exensive than normal bulbs and draw less current too, and they are dimable too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes and no. It looks a bit dramatic but it is fairly straightforward.. Prize off the speaker grills each end of the dash. Then you can access the single big screw each end of the dashboard. Take them out and the whole top of the dash lifts off. Then you can ease out the instrument assembly and get at the bulbs. Get new bulbs first cos you wont be able to drive to the garage easily with the dash top off. And change them all cos sods law says the ones you dont change will fail as soon as you re-assemble it all. Good luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
this site is brill

;) Guys this site is fantastic through reading threads i have managed to replace dash bulbs and headlights that i have been waiting on hubby doing for ages will definately be recommending thanks again guys

D

·
0 Posts
;) Guys this site is fantastic through reading threads i have managed to replace dash bulbs and headlights that i have been waiting on hubby doing for ages will definately be recommending thanks again guys
welcome to our happy little gang. glad you found the help you needed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Point Me In The Right Direction Please

Since My New Enthusiasm For Car Can You Point Me In The Right Direction For Changing Hand Brake Cable And Back Brakes Thanks In Advance

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts

Many thanks for the Positive Forums feedback :)

Good to hear you have found the Forums useful PURPLEROCKCHICK :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thank You

HEY ALL,

Im new to this as ive just brought my first renault. Very happy with my 1.6e Rt SPort

I am about to attempt to change the bulbs in the dash and with the help of this thread it should be easy peasy :)

If I get stuck I will ask for more help

Cheers
:d

·
Premium Member
8,350 Posts
As it is mentioned in this thread, it is really easy. Sounds daunting as you have to remove the top of the dash but very simple.

If you do have problems then yes, please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks everyone who commented. My clock went dark, I replaced the dead bulb with a white LED (This one: http://www.dx.com/p/34609) and it's working now, the display is illuminated in very uniform fashion.

spanish_lad:
In my 2002 'Classic' I have a clock + temp display, and the door and seat belt indicators. The clock only has one bulb, and there's another bulb in each indicator.
They are T5 bulbs.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts