Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,

I have the dreaded megane problem where the doors wont open from inside or out! :steam:

I have managed to get a door open but was wondering how easy it is to replace the latch my self?

I have been quoted £80 + VAT for the latch and then 4 hrs labour!!!! Ouch, I just dont have that sort of cash!!!!

It seems easy enough to remove the latch now the door is open but how easy is it to put the new one in (and how do I do this lol!!)

I think the tricky part will be reconnecting all the metal rods for the handles and locky thing that goes up and down

ANy help would be greatfully recieved!!!!!

Thanks people!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't know if this is the same problem, but I recently had an issue with the driver door lock - the solienoid stopped working.....

Decided to have a go at fixing it, but eventually had to replace it with one from the scrappies.

You have to remove the trim from the inside of the door. There are five(i think) screws. two were hidden by the speaker grill(prise off). One screw was in the inner door handle, and a couple in the bottom of the panel. The panel has then to be gently prise outwards to break the sticky seal, and then lifted to lift the top out of the window seal. You also have to unclip the inner door handle from the door panel and push it through it's own opening.

I left the speaker, and electrics for it connected, and placed the panel on the ground. Inside my door was a black waffled panel(purpose I do not know - possible noise reduction) which clips out. To remove the actual lock there are three screws(torx - but all the screws are) on the door jam. Once removed, you have to jiggle the lock about, as there are two prongs that come from the key barrel, that have to be got around. It very tight. Oh, the elecrtics are just a push fit connection, easy to disconnect.

Replacement is the opposite. Make sure you have the correct type - there are two(i got the wrong type first time) one has a wire connecting it to the inner door handle, the other a metal rod. they are not compatable. When you get the lock from the scappie keep the inner door handle connected - it makes the job so much easier!

The replacement has to be manovered, so that the stub on it, matchs the prongs on the key barrel(still on door). line lock up and screw onto door jam,, push the inner door handle through it's opening in the panel, and replace waffle and panel.

Don't do what I did - and forget to connect the electrics!.

The job is very fiddly, and you'll porbably lose some skin off you knuckles, but will probably be able to do it all in under an hour.

By the time I got the second(correct) lock, I had it down to 30 minutes.

Cheers

Malabtech

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that dude!

How do you know if it is the lock or the solenoid? I am guessing it is the lock as now I have the door open and I move the locky bit to simulate the door being closed the handles dont release the mechanism and also the door wont actually shut now its open!

This must be the most annoying problem ever! Being the driver of the car I dont wish to have to repair it but as it forms part of the MOT test I guess it has to be done!

I dont think i'll buy another Renault thats for sure!

·
Registered
85 Posts
If the "locky bit" is under suspension when you try to move it a bit with ... say, a pin. Then apply wd40 and it should unlock. If not - there's a small spring on the inside which has probably broken.
It's a small problem, why jump to conclusion to sell house because of a blown fuse? :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Door is open now but not shutting grrrr!!!

If i look at the locking mechanism on the open door there is a rotating catch that when it makes contact with the bar on the body of the car it rotates to the closed position, mine isnt doing that therefore the door just springs open!

I have tried doing the revers of what I did to get the thing open but have been unsuccessful!

Is this the lock mechanism at fault or the solenoid?

Infact what does the solenopid do lol??? Is it just there to open and lock the car when I blip it from my key fob?

Cheers for all your replies though!!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
The solienoid is the small electrical motor that locks the door when the key fob is used. Inside the solienoid is part of the locking mechanism, including the part you see at the door edge. There are very few servicalbe parts on this unit. I know as I tried to take mine to bits to find out what really was wrong, I also tried lots of WD40, but couldn't get it to work properly.

As Demon XP says there is a small spring that you can replace, that seems to be about the only thing you could replace.

I had the same issues. Door wouldn't unlock using fob, just key. Mucked around, and got it to lock, but had to be opened from inside, Then wouldn't lock at all, then just key again. This was removing, oiling, mucking around, then replacing original unit.

Eventually, I replaced whole unit with one from the scrappies, and had no further problems.

The key barrel is seperate, so you don't have to replace that, otherwise you would have two keys!

Best of luck

Malabtech

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi People, sorry i know its an old post but ive been having problems with my solenoid too. very strange as it will always lock from the key plip but wont open first time from key plip so sometimes you have to open/close then open just to get door open or sometimes have to resort to key in door.in the manual it does say that the motor for the solenoid on some meganes can be seperated and changed but any ideas. i find that once the car has been opened a few times its ok but if you leave it awhile then the problem comes back when you try and get back in the car.very annoying tho.cheers for any help guys?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, I too had a similar problem and have managed to easily replace the door latch. The problem I now have is that when locking the car my rear driver side door locks/unlocks opposite to the other 3 doors, I have tried unplugging the electrics and locking the other 3 doors then plugging back in but this did not work. Has anyone else had a similar problem or have any idea how to fix it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi folks. Newb from Norway here.

I have a 1998 megane 5 door.

The rigth rear door won't open. When I press the remote key the "lock thumb" only goes halfway up. I thougth there was a problem with the solenoid so i took off the door panel og startet to wiggle with the rod to the door lock. Nothing happens.

The solenoid is hidden inside the door so i cant reach it. Is ther another trick to open the door, so i can unmount and replace the solenoid?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi folks. Newb from Norway here.

I have a 1998 megane 5 door.

The rigth rear door won't open. When I press the remote key the "lock thumb" only goes halfway up. I thougth there was a problem with the solenoid so i took off the door panel og startet to wiggle with the rod to the door lock. Nothing happens.

The solenoid is hidden inside the door so i cant reach it. Is ther another trick to open the door, so i can unmount and replace the solenoid?

I've just had the exact same problem. (For the 2nd time though) So lucky I know how to change the solenoid!

Fortunately you can remove the door card when the door is shut. However 1st thing to try is removing the inside door handle, you need a torx screw head for this. Then you'll see a cable/bar, pull this towards the front of the car & the door should open, if not, try unlocking the door then try again.

If that doesn't work, you need to remove the door card. (See the other posts on how to do this)

You'll need a light, shine it towards the door mechanism & try fiddling with the locking solenoid, the door should open.

Once the door is open, remove the wire coming from the outer door handle to the lock mechanism. (Very Fiddly)then undo the 3 bolts holding the mech to the door and try & free the mech. Its a tight job but with some patience the lock should be just able to squeeze out the door.

You'll see the solenoid in the mech (it has a plastic case) this needs to be removed. Unfortunately it cannot be taken apart & repaired, so the best bet is to go to a scrap yard & do this process again. Better still, do it first on a scarp yard car, just incase something breaks you know to be more careful on your own car!

Then put back together not forgetting the electrical connections & the wire for the outer door handle & hopefully it is fixed!

Hope this has helped :d

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there, I am crafty Pat and I have a Renault megane fidgi and the rear passenger door stopped opening a while back, then the window just dropped down one day!! I am not mechanical minder and have very little money so any help from antone out there would be welcome. Do all the doors have a solenoid by the way?

thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi everyone.
I can't post a new thread, and this one seems to be the closest to the problem I have.
Recently got a 4 door Megane I and the right side rear door will not lock with central locking. There is no lock thumbs on the doors, so I can't try to do it manually.
One more thing I found is that you can open the door from the outside, but not from inside the car. The door shuts without issues, but it will not lock. I can hear the solenoid try to do its job but it doesn't complete and the door stays unlocked.
Does anyone have any suggestions how to sort this out?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts