1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
totally lost coolent leak / no puddles

right bit lost,

the miss's has a x plate megane 1.6 16v

driving to london 200 miles from home this weekend, we got there no worries, the usual check of everything prior to leaving left me baffled,

the coolant tank had leaked all over the engine, leaving a ring mark on the under bonnet cover, the bottle was empty and there's a copper flake like substnace all over the tank cap and engine?

cars never overheated, no mayo, drives without fault, coolant hoses are warm/cold as per the norm,

biggest issues are these now

tank wont stay full used another litre on journy home without spraying all over engine,

also had to top up my oil a fair few times of late?

whats the issues?

and finally when starting from cold i can hear the water going through heater matrix as i rev is this normal?

G

·
Re: totally lost coolent leak / no puddles

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

Could possibly be head gasket staring to go?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

well thats the first guess with coolent and oil going with no puddles or wet patches etc, but expected to see mayo or lumpy running, i'm guessing someone in the past has thrown k-seal into the coolent to plug the gap, and its worn off if it worked at all.

oh well that'll be a job for me sat.

·
Premium Member
10,622 Posts

I've had something very similar occur with my seicento; it first started to leak from the expansion bottle cap, so I replaced the cap, then a main hose ruptured, so I replaced that, then I noticed steam coming out from the expansion bottle cap area again, when idling in traffic. My next step is to replace the expansion bottle & cap with genuine items.

Regarding the noises - that'll be caused by airlocks in the system (which won't be helping the coolant do its job).

HTH

Paul

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

no noises, just the coolant loss but no doubt its a gap/or break somewhere in the gasket, to be taking both oil and coolant, there's not much else bar a crack in the block but then i doubt it would be such a small leak for both, will strip and investigate at the weekend and make a choice then, scrap/fix.

regards the cap on the bottle, its air tight as collant hosess harden as the system pressurises, but think the pressure just blew coolant past it on that case, it was m25 traffic jam for 2 hours which never helps lol.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
couple of minor issues, advise please

hi guys,

just a few issues i'd like to get cleared up,

do most 2000 model meganes have a gear stick thats quite active, what i mean is when i drive and add throttle, with my hand on it, its very jumpy and vibrates a fair amount.

other thing is i changed coolant yesterday the old stuff was like dirty dish water, a light brown but not rusty.

i added the red oat coolant(not sure if thats right or it should have been blue)?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
heater matrix pipes noise

when i turn on my x plate megane, and blip the throttle i can hear water/coolant gushing from behind passenger footwell, theres no leak but just wondered if its normal, noise is simply when i add throttle the water gushes then when i release the noise goes,

i dont notice it when driving just at start up and stationary.

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Re: heater matrix pipes noise

when i turn on my x plate megane, and blip the throttle i can hear water/coolant gushing from behind passenger footwell, theres no leak but just wondered if its normal, noise is simply when i add throttle the water gushes then when i release the noise goes,

i dont notice it when driving just at start up and stationary.
I don't think the sound is coming from that location but higher up behind the bulkhead :)

I read in another post you'd replaced the coolant, was the system bled correctly?

And the heater was set to hot or the heater matrix will hold air after its bled.
:)

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts
Re: couple of minor issues, advise please

Its usual to replace coolant with the same colour/type that is currently in the system.

After a complete flush of the system another type/colour can be used.

I re-filed with blue as it was more readily available locally than the red that was originally in the system.

I live in a remote location :)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

may have cocked up here then, but the noise was there since owning the car long before coolant change, as for bleeding ummm, well i topped up the car and left the cap off the bottle and ran the car to let air escape, as didn't notice any bleed nipples, have i missed something then?

·
Premium Member
7,182 Posts

may have cocked up here then, but the noise was there since owning the car long before coolant change, as for bleeding ummm, well i topped up the car and left the cap off the bottle and ran the car to let air escape, as didn't notice any bleed nipples, have i missed something then?
I'm presuming we have similar vehicle's.

There's a bleed hole in the thermostat housing.

When no air is evident replace it and fill the expansion bottle gradually and slowly as the level drops.
With the engine idling top up as needed.

G

·

I wonder if some one has put some thing like radiator sealer in your system at some point?

Blue antifreeze is usually guaranteed for 2 years and
Red antifreeze usually guaranteed for 5 years

The jumping gear stick is more than likely down to a worn lower gear box mounting / stabilizer bracket which is a common failure

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

yeah looks like k seal was in there but, i know cars using oil, hence why i've gone for full service but i kinda know its all in vain but while its running ok i'll just do what i can etc.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

cheers bobby dog, all done now, next to no air in there, but had heater blowing full on hot, and noticed some more escape from header tank, cars holding fluid and running as it should so all's well.

G

·

There should also be a plastic bleed screw on the upper heater hose where it enters the car on the bulk head.

It shouldn't make any difference bleeding with the heater turned on or not as there are no valves and the coolant circulates constantly through the heater matrix.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.