Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice on how to fix the auto transmission (DPO / AL4) on my old Megane 2.0.

The auto went into limp mode last year and was diagnosed with failed solenoids (the 2 power solenoids) which were replaced. At the same time, the transmission fluid was replaced (it was "starbucks extra strong" colour). Although the factory says "sealed for life" the local workshop told me that in the heat the transmission fluid needs to be changed every year or two otherwise the auto gums up. As the car is relatively low mileage (23k as it's been used as a second / holiday weekend car for many years) the internal gears are reportedly in good condition.

The auto now works, but it won't properly engage first or reverse when first started (engine cold). It gradually tightens up and then works normally once the engine is up to normal temperature. However, when the engine is hot, it starts slipping again and the change up from eg: 3rd to 4th under acceleration is extremely sloppy.

This seemed to point to a pressure problem: the pressure sensor has been replaced, so has the multifunction switch, and the oil level checked multiple times. (It is now using Esso ATF). However, the problems still persist....

Is there something that we've missed or should do again to correct the slippage problem when the car is "cold" and again when the engine is "hot"?

Supplementary question: has anyone had experience fitting a supplementary transmission radiator to help keep the auto box oil temperature down?

·
Premium Member
Scenic II, 2004, K4MW761, DPO
5,177 Posts
The problem with the DP0 is the incompetent mechanics and the misinformation about guaranteed solutions getting spread.....................

While the solenoids are indeed often a solution, its not guaranteed ................... also - if you replaced the solenoids, were original items used (blue plastic) or the later BorgWarned solenoids (black plastic) - and if the latter, was the auto box's computer updated as required?

If it was, were you given a CLIP log showing the origin of the problem before any work done and also a CLIP log of the auto box's pressure regulation performance after the work was done?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the insights!
Way beyond me. Very limited Renault dealer support here so it was a Peugeot workshop who changed the parts (a lot of experience with AL4 gearboxes). Twice actually as the first set from China didn't work ( but maybe the first set were actually BW ...?).
No CLIP reports.
Is there any diagnostic test that can be done to help identify the problem?

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
CLIP or any other proper Renault speaking scanner can give insight at the hand of parameter logs while driving.

The replacement solenoids were supposed to be BorgWarner - they superseded the OEM with a required computer update.

Diagnostics to be done - as in simple? ................ no.

The logs will have the behaviour of the box as evidence and from that, some application of logic and proper analysis will get you to the answer ......................

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
CLIP or any other proper Renault speaking scanner can give insight at the hand of parameter logs while driving.

The replacement solenoids were supposed to be BorgWarner - they superseded the OEM with a required computer update.

Diagnostics to be done - as in simple? ................ no.

The logs will have the behaviour of the box as evidence and from that, some application of logic and proper analysis will get you to the answer ......................
thanks again, very limited official dealer support here, as in "they aren't really interested" so that's why I'm forced to look at alternative approaches. Basically I don't have access to a CLIP or simlar and therefore have to look at other ways to find the problem and get to a solution. Unless I can get a CLIP - are they readily available?

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
IMO CLIP is going to be the simplest to operate in this particular case .............. they are available as clones from many popular online auction sites though YMMV.

Any other method (read even educated guessing based on years of experience) is an absolute waste of time and money.

These boxes also suffer from internal and valve body leaks ............. and not even CLIP or any other test method can identify this situation other than to say pressure regulation is up to maggots...........

Unfortunately, these boxes also have no access to individual channel/gear ports so as to fit a mechanical gauge and measure/investigate pressures because there simply is no service port on those by design

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IMO CLIP is going to be the simplest to operate in this particular case .............. they are available as clones from many popular online auction sites though YMMV.

Any other method (read even educated guessing based on years of experience) is an absolute waste of time and money.

These boxes also suffer from internal and valve body leaks ............. and not even CLIP or any other test method can identify this situation other than to say pressure regulation is up to maggots...........

Unfortunately, these boxes also have no access to individual channel/gear ports so as to fit a mechanical gauge and measure/investigate pressures because there simply is no service port on those by design
The problem with the DP0 is the incompetent mechanics and the misinformation about guaranteed solutions getting spread.....................

While the solenoids are indeed often a solution, its not guaranteed ................... also - if you replaced the solenoids, were original items used (blue plastic) or the later BorgWarned solenoids (black plastic) - and if the latter, was the auto box's computer updated as required?

If it was, were you given a CLIP log showing the origin of the problem before any work done and also a CLIP log of the auto box's pressure regulation performance after the work was done?
Hi LvR,
Thanks again for the pointers - I've been back to the Peugeot workshop and they tracked down the part number for the solenoids that were replaced - 770 1208 174 - "black" . When I was cross-checking on eBay for the same part number, it was showing as "not compatible" with Renault Megane II 2.0 (2003) model.... !! Even though it looked identical to the ones that came out and I can't find any other part numbers similar. Would you happen to know the correct part number as I'm drawing a blank on this so far please?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well ............. .

Its not compatible "as-is" without knowing for a fact that your Renault DP0's box computer has been updated to accommodate these .................

Else - I have personally used these with no such hassles if the box is also updated at the same time.

Genuine O.E AL4 DPO Automatic Gearbox Electrovalve Solenoid Pressure Regulator | eBay
Thanks for that. I'm not aware of any software update, it was one of the earliest Megane II cars (2003) but the dealer might have done something without me knowing, so we'll need to check the software version somehow.... thanks again, all this is super helpful trying to get to the root of the problem... otherwise it's going to be spending money on a new valve body

·
Premium Member
5,177 Posts
In order to do a software update, you will need CLIP and the model-specific reprogram info (either online or offline).

If yours is an earlier version of the DP0 then chances are it has not been updated :unsure:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts