Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a 2004 megane 1.4 authentique ..... the other day i went to start it after work and its totaly dead.... battery has been tested .. both starter keys have had new batterys and still wont start.... i taken it to 3 garages and they dont have a clue why its not working.... all have ran a system check on it and its only showing laguna on diagnostics..... has anyone else had this problem or offer any advice as to what this problem could be?:steam:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi, Chrisajsb and welcome to the forum!

It will be helpful if you try to better describe your problem - trivial detials like the low hizzing sound when you turn your key to "ignition" is indicative of working circuit and fuel pump.
If you don't hear anything you might be having a poor contact on any of the connectors to the battery, or the ground connectors of your injection system or starter.

There's also a possibility, if you have recently dirven through a curb or had any other impact on the suspension, that you've activated the fuel cut-off system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont get any sounds from the car what so ever.... i put the card in and nothing...... it displays steering lock on/off but apart from that the car is dead......
Ive had no problems prior to this so its kinda threw me a bit.one day its fine the next its a paper weight

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope wasnt a typo .... when the diagnostics is ran it shows up laguna ....... you probably had the same look on ure face when u read that as i did when they showed me

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Im putting it into my local renault garage this afternoon so ill be sure to post the outcome for future reference
Cheers for your help :crazy:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same problem

Hi, I drive a 2004 Renault Megane II 2.0 Dynamique and this morning I had the same problem. The display only shows "steering locked/unlocked" and the car is dead. The Renault garage say they never heard of it. They told me to disconnect battery and reconnect it again. Nothing. Anyone with an idea?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You electrics have gone mate...... there is a small ecu that powers your steering ..... you will have to take it to a renault garage as it cost a fortune to have donewith a local garage as the have to take it to renaut to have the new board programed..... this is gonna cost you roughly £350 minimum..... any more questions gimme a shout

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanx for the advice. I spoke to Renault garage recently and asked about replacement of this ECU you speak of. They quoted me roughly the same amount. Seems there's no other way, so I'll take it down tomorrow to have me at the garage's mercy:steam: . I'll keep you updated.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi
If this problem occurs its the ecu that controls the steering that has gone and will have to be replaced by renault as most garages dont have the software to re-programme the unit as i found out.... the cost of the part is £175 and in total £365 once you add labour and vat but i would imagine the price varies from dealer to dealer....
My advice would be to just go straight to renault as you will have to add to that total if a local garage has to do pick ups etc

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Thanks for the info Chris.:)

Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi i have a 2003 mk 2 megane ... it started with the car not starting it was turning over, put engine start it started for second so i thought it was fuel pump, tested the wires to the fuel pump from the engine fuse box brown plug ps its only few month old so ruled out broken relay as was new part from renault, i made mistake of unpluggin it while battery was connected.
after the steeing lock wud not come off nothing dash board has an intermittent fault with dash not always working in first place, so cudnt tell wat was up eg card not detected or electronic fault it scanner cant connect unless brown plugs disconected and the elecrics in engine bay makes a noise, then stops wnt start.
radio goes on but wnt go off and the windows work and light mate says its the card reader not sure key works had it checked and ideas or anything would be a big help he had it plugged in to his snapon aluris reader wudnt connect to nowt only when fuse box brown cable off it still wnt connect.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
42,251 Posts
Have you switched after ignition power supply on

1 - 16 of 16 Posts