Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all, new to renault, well its the missus car. shes just about to buy an 02 magane coupe 1.4 fidji. but for her b/day im thinking of getting her some 17"alloys. im a rover driver so i have no idea about these cars.

just wondering what the offset and fitment size is?

cheers for any help:)

kenny

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums Kenny,

I'm sure someone with the relevant knowledge will be able to assist you .

Regards

Ottoman

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Hi coupeturbo, check the carbibles for info on how to calculate your sizes here Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible

for the correct offset, it is stamped on your current wheels near the center hub mount and will look something like

4.5J x 14 H2 ET45

4.5J (the width of the current wheel) x 14 (the current wheel diameter) H2 (the tyre bead/rim profile)
ET45 (the offset and size ... a positive offset as in this example is actually an inset of 45mm from the centre line of the wheel hub ie the more the positive the more the wheel is tucked into the wheel arch)

Try and keep the offset the same otherwise you will have camber and wheel alignment problems if you deviate much, and youll have steering issues which will also result in the car eating tyres.

Also try and keep the rolling radius the same or you'll have speedo problems.

Hope it helps :)

·
2,311 Posts
Hi, sounds about right, double check by measuring between the centres of the bolt holes if its 100mm on a 4 stud fitting then your PCD (pitch centre diameter) is 4x100, again check your current wheels it may be stamped on them, alt a good wheel shop/supplier should be able to confirm the fitting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
hi coupeturbo.... highjack your thread a bit.... since it's about rim offset....

truckbusuk, does this offset applies to 97 megane as well??

thanks

·
2,311 Posts
Hi Andrew, the example above is exactly that an example, but the information is generic ... I believe the offset on a Megane of your vintage is ET35-ET38 ... the best thing to do is to check what is currently stamped on your wheels (assuming they are original fitment ... it will be there honest :) ) this will give you the correct offset for your car.

Going 2-3mm above or below the correct offset should not give much of a problem, but be careful on going too far ..... remember a good wheel shop can also advise, and arrange adjustment either by machining the wheel or supplying spacers to compensate for the offset .... although I'm not really in favour of spacers ...

Do a search on the forums on wheel offset, someone published a link to a car data webpage that gave all Renault offsets ..

·
Registered
16 Posts
that's a great website....

thanks a lot guys....

i need to change my rims coz i think it's killing my bearings... so far, i've changed both by rear wheel bearings and i suspect the rims are not the correct offset....

by the way, can wrong offset damage the bearings??

·
2,311 Posts
If its seriously far over spec, you'll get the following issues ...

Heavy steering, bodywork rubbing , lack of self-centre, bearing wear, tyre wear issues and possible camber problems ...

Check out this site ... Car Bibles : The Wheel and Tyre Bible

I'd honestly stick to no more than 5mm more than the standard ... so I suggest (and its only a suggestion)

ET35 (what I think the std is) +5 = ET40 maximum

1 - 11 of 11 Posts