Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to replace our rotting Omega with a Megane. Used to have one in France (when we lived there, obviously) and it was wholly reliable (1.4 8 valve).

So I have been scouring Fleabay and the chronically out of date Autotrader website. Of the 3 efforts I have looked at one was particularly sound and original. However...

the ONLY thing wrong with it was the battery "tray" behind the semi-bulkhead was very rotten, to the point of being able to push a finger through it. I did have a little surface rust on the French car, which I simply treated and gobbed with Waxoyl when I changed the battery.

Obviously the corrosion is caused by acid venting or a split/leaky battery. My questions are 1) are Meganes prone to this wholesale? and 2) is it terminal or reparable? What is beneath the panel the battery sits on?

Any words of wisdom welcomed.

I suppose what I'm also hedging toward is should I buy an otherwise mint car and know it is readily repaired, or should I walk?

TIA

·
Random Visitor
2,610 Posts
i would see if the seller would be able to get it repaired, if not id take a discount on the car and get it fixed my self

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seller is a recent widow - I doubt she would know what to do. She is open to offers, but my question really is how practical and longterm is a repair, what's involved and what effect the panel condition will have on the integrity of the structure.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Walked away in the end - not a viable proposition - the repair would take 2-3 days and involves removal of the entire dash/carpet and so on.

Shame.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts