Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I am deciding on a new car to buy to replace my old VW polo, and want to go a size up. I quite like the design and engines of the current Megane, especially dci 100 or dci 120, however I have been alarmed by the lowish reliability of the car. Another option is to go for something safe like a Corolla, but i dont think I will enjoy it as much, and Golfs seem to have their quirks too. Do you think 2003-2004 Megane diesel for 6.5-7.5K will be reliable enough to give me a couple of worry free years (I do about 15-18Kmiles)? The argument for it is that the previous owner should have probably ironed out little bugs earlier and the car is not old enough to get into any major trouble.

Any advice, especially from current dci 120 owners will be appreciated

·
Premium Member
14,145 Posts
Hello & Welcome to the Forums Serge.

Many members have had a trouble free life with their respective Meganes , The only advice I would give is to ensure you have a very comprehensive warranty wether purchased with the vehicle or as an after market option, This advice I would give irrespective of the make you purchase as most modern cars can be very expensive to repair.

Regards

Ottoman

·
Registered
17 Posts
Alright mate,

ive got a megane 1.9 dci 120bhp, and ide say its spot on, goes for ever on not much diesel, pretty quick car (my bro's got a 2.2 150bhp merc n my dad has a 2.2 150bhp laguna and mine feels quicker than both - i know its smaller but it still shifts) good build quality, and the only thing to go wrong with mine having it a year was to change the glow plugs, which is a pretty common problem, but also an easy one to solve £30 job, and my 03 has been more reliable than my bros 55 c220 so cant say more than that, thumbs up from me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there, ive had older meganes now for a number of years without any problems. But there is always going to be a however. So therefor, however, i always wanted a 2.0 williams version so thought id buy the convertable. Ive had nothing but bother. It seems to be when something goes wrong, it all goes wrong. There are things that are a nightmare and renault arent much help either. Renault dealerships charge a fortune to work on them. My gearbox practically melted, couldnt get second hand replacement ( JC5024 ) . £500 for rebuild including dropping engine, then cause battery was disconnected, the alarm now dosent work properly. I had to disconnect that. Then the code lost sync from code. Couldnt start it. lucky i had code and know how to reprogram or that had have cost a fortune for renault to do a 1m 30s job as they span it out for at least 30mins if not more. Everything that goes wrong is seemingly a common fault. Manifolds, coil packs, GEARBOXES, on the flip side, they are bloody quick for what they are and i love them to death. But note when they go wrong it hits hard if u dont know some1 in the know. Very economical. Even my 2.0 petrol is about as economical as the 1.6 version and that 1 is underpowered. Good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
as ottoman says make sure the renault is under some sort of warranty as the electrics are not that great i know 4 owners including myself of magane 53 models 2 petrol and two diesel and we have all been landed with bills of over 200 pounds mine was just shy of 500 a corroded fuse box was at fault!!!
i

·
Registered
23 Posts
my wife has just told me the rear wash wipe not working rumour has it the front bumper has to come off to inspect the pump not looked in to that yet
any help would be great
as for the car its self i like the handling mine does 55 to the gallon and tax is 35 pounds a dit cramp in the back if it were'nt for electrics i'd give 9 out of 10 for its class as the electrics are poor i'll drop that to a 7
would like one of then new sport models though they look the boll**cks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts