Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Purchased a 51 plate megane cabrio recently that now has a problem. On start up the idle "splutters" (sounds like a misfire), during driving the car hesitates at different revs on acceleration, the car is booked in for a dealer 36000 mile service but I would like to know roughly what it could be. The car was serviced 18 months ago by previous owner, I think it my just need new spark plugs etc. but not been mechanically minded I'm not sure, I have heard that they can suffer with problems with coils, what is this, could this be the cause and how much should I expect?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Further hesitation

Sounds like one of the pencil coils is breaking down.

I had the car serviced by renault, they replaced the plugs etc and did a full computer run on it with no fault found, it was fine for a week or two and it is now hesitating again, usually between 3-4k. Pencil coils? is that the black tube shaped things on top of the plugs, is it worth getting one from renault and trying it on each of the four plugs to find the faulty one?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Purchased a new pencil coil from renault, swapped each coil in turn and tried the car, as usual the last one tried worked a treat, no hesitation or anything now, and shifts as it should, (not good up here due to a fetish for fixed and remote cameras!!!) Thanks to all that replied.

·
Registered
3 Posts
This sounds like the pencil coils, i changed mine recently. If one needs changing then u should change all four really. I found some on ebay, 4 for £40 + p+p. Really easy to change too. just remove wires connected to them and unbolt and slowly remove and replace with new ones. Should do the trick, if not, it could be the spark plugs are on the way out too.
good luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts