Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a mobile mechanic to do a cambelt change on my car. The guy was a complete idiot and did not bring the right locking tools so when he started the car after finishing the job he appears to have damaged the engine. We told him to leave and I got a family member to do the cambelt process properly with the right tools and the confirmed the job was done right as they had turn the car over by hand 4 times and the car was still in time. The engine still would not run right. The car is misfiring and occasionally stalling. I did a compression test and cylinder 2 had 0 compression. All other cylinders reading 121 psi exactly. I organised to get the car towed to Renault franchise dealer to get the job done but I have no idea how much this is going to cost. Has anyone had a similar issue, I am suspecting bent valves, and had the work done by a dealer. I don’t known if I am going to be looking closer to a £1000, or more like £2000 or £3000 for the cylinder head to come and necessary repair to be done. Any insight would be great.

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,510 Posts
At a dealer, IMO closer the 3K then the 2K....may be wrong but ask them to give you a budget price before you get it towed anywhere.
Then shop about..... a grand plus would be my guess.
NEw head gasket and bolt set
New Valves and followers...2 at least, common for 4 to be needed
Timing belt (replace it) though if tensioner and pulleys and water pump done the first time about it is only belt
Plus labour

I take it your family member isn't interested

·
Premium Member
Grand Scenic 1.6 2007
6,308 Posts
If you're lucky only the valves on No 2 are damaged.
A dealer is unlikely to be comfortable going down the cheap and cheerful route for a car that age.
Can't really tell until the head is off and that's already a lot of labour.
As DD says shop around for smaller independent outfits. You're actuallly more likely to find someone who has done this there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you're lucky only the valves on No 2 are damaged.
A dealer is unlikely to be comfortable going down the cheap and cheerful route for a car that age.
Can't really tell until the head is off and that's already a lot of labour.
As DD says shop around for smaller independent outfits. You're actuallly more likely to find someone who has done this there.
Wow I wasn’t sure what the price would likely be but I was hoping for around the £1500 mark to be honest. I have thought about independent garages but I have had so many issues with bad work with independent garages in my area, including the idiot who broke the car this time. Also I would of thought if the compression is bang on for all other cylinders that it is unlikely there would be any damage anywhere other than Cylinder 2 but is that not always the case?

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6- boot carpet says March 12, 2001
2,219 Posts
If you can find him I'd be thinking about going to small claims court to get the excess costs off the mechanic. Normally you have to give someone the chance to put faulty work right, but you could argue that you had no confidence in him after what happened so you went to a dealer. You would need an expert report on the damage as part of your case- add the cost to your claim. Of course you will have to prove that his work caused the damage- he may try to argue that it happened when you redid the work and ran the engine so be prepared for that.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you can find him I'd be thinking about going to small claims court to get the excess costs off the mechanic. Normally you have to give someone the chance to put faulty work right, but you could argue that you had no confidence in him after what happened so you went to a dealer. You would need an expert report on the damage as part of your case- add the cost to your claim. Of course you will have to prove that his work caused the damage- he may try to argue that it happened when you redid the work and ran the engine so be prepared for that.
I did think about doing that but I figured because me and dad have fiddled with the car for quite a few weeks afterwards it quite of ruined my chance of winning a court case and to be honest I really don’t want to try and learn how to take someone to court. We just told him to leave and I didn’t pay him anything so I just figured I am going to cut my losses there and pay the bill for the repair. I think i’m going to continue to with the dealer for now and see what they quote me and I will just go elsewhere if it is too high. I’m not in a rush right now as I have another car(not french car) so am taking my time as I do want the car back eventually, don’t really feel like scrapping the car. Thanks for the advice.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,026 Posts
Just rip the head off yourself
You have a phone
Take something off Picture
Take something else off Picture

It Really is not Rocket science
Its taking your time
You now know how to set the timing
THATS the hardest part
Head off into engineers
Head back on, re time and start the car

Average time , is just over 6 hours off and on , so thats closer to 10
At over £100 per hour labour

Plus parts, £ 700 plus engineer fees, £200( Renault will have an hour for delivering and fetching )
Guesstimate , £2000 grand

PS
Renault will use ALL genuine parts
So gaskets valves Oil Oil filter Antifreeze head bolts

NEW kit they wont fit a non-genuine as they cannot guarantee their work

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just rip the head off yourself
You have a phone
Take something off Picture
Take something else off Picture

It Really is not Rocket science
Its taking your time
You now know how to set the timing
THATS the hardest part
Head off into engineers
Head back on, re time and start the car

Average time , is just over 6 hours off and on , so thats closer to 10
At over £100 per hour labour

Plus parts, £ 700 plus engineer fees, £200( Renault will have an hour for delivering and fetching )
Guesstimate , £2000 grand

PS
Renault will use ALL genuine parts
So gaskets valves Oil Oil filter Antifreeze head bolts

NEW kit they wont fit a non-genuine as they cannot guarantee their work
I thought about this when I was considering doing this myself but the main problem is I never re-fitted the timing belt correctly, that was my family member and they don’t want to be involved anymore, don’t blame them with the problems we have had so far, and I have no mechanical experience and don’t understand how an engine actually works. I’ve previously tried doing simple work on the car myself and managed to break stuff twice, even with being very careful, so I don’t want to risk getting involved in a job that is well above my abilities right now. Thanks for the advice though, might be something I consider further down the line if I do have any future engine problems.

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
39,026 Posts
Borrow the timing kit off them
LOTS of members have fitted belts on these engines
Some had not even lifted bonnet lid before.and were able to do the job

Its time consuming
BUT only because you double check everything you do
But even an experienced mechanic will double check his work ( Well some of us ) before turning the key
And even then we cross every part of our body and hope it works
Myself after the amount of belts I have fitted, still am nervous about turning the key
He/she would be a liar if anyone said they are not nervous turning that key

Then it fires up, and its Brew time

Reactions: Brendan W

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,510 Posts
He/she would be a liar if anyone said they are not nervous turning that key
Doesn't matter what checks you have done or how often you have done the job, still waiting for the bang.

Alex, it's down to you, if you want to have a go yourself, it is a job that a DIY mechanic can do.
And with the luxury of not being rushed for time.
There are bits that you need to be precise on but as long as you know (we will tell you) they are nothing to worry on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Doesn't matter what checks you have done or how often you have done the job, still waiting for the bang.

Alex, it's down to you, if you want to have a go yourself, it is a job that a DIY mechanic can do.
And with the luxury of not being rushed for time.
There are bits that you need to be precise on but as long as you know (we will tell you) they are nothing to worry on.
I will give it some more thought but in no immediate rush as the car can just sit for now, thank you everyone for the advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts