Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

I think my clutch cable went on friday. My clutch pedal went very slack and there was very little play in the bite. On Saturday when I went to use the car it was gone completely.

Q1, is this a common problem?

Q2, is the cable easily fitted? Is it a garage job or something i could take on myself?

Q3, where the heck does the cable meet the clutch? i cannot locate it at all and i've trawled the internet but cannot find any information on it?

Q4, does anyone know any websites for downloading the manuals FOC ?

:eek:

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
I don't know anything about clutch cables but if I was in your situation I'd get a Haynes Manual and see how easy/difficult it seems in there.

Compare the risk/amount of effort with how much it'd cost to replace at a garage - I can't see it being extortionate.

Cheers,
Andy :)

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
If you have breakdown cover there's your answer but assuming you don't:

My local independant garage were happy to come and tow my Rover away to be repaired when it's gearbox failed. They didn't charge me any extra. Just ask around and see if any garage are willing to do the same.

If that's not an option, get someone to help you tow it yourself with care.

I guess it depends on how far away your garage is - luckily where I live now I could probably push my car to the garage lol it's only round the corner!

Either way, a clutch cable shouldn't be expensive but needs doing right and unless you really can't get it to a garage, I wouldn't touch it myself.

Hope you can get it sorted,

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
it isnt a cable it may be your clutch slave cylinder thats went or the master cylinder look for brake /clutch fluid top it up see if it leaks:eek:

Reactions: VelSatisfied

·
La sola lupo
2,521 Posts
Changing the cable isnt too bad a job, IF you can get in under the dash to unhook/rehook the pedal end, I woudnt suggest attempting it without a book or some idea of how it works though.

·
La sola lupo
2,521 Posts
What model is your megane, 97 to 2002 I think had a cable (megane1 phase 1 and 2)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
If it is cable-operated, one tip which the book might not mention is to attach some stout string to the end of the cable before pulling it through the bulkhead - this is then attached to the new cable and used to pull it through.

Trying to push a cable which is relatively flexible will have you turning the air blue...:d

HTH

Paul

Reactions: Paul_jagger

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have breakdown cover there's your answer but assuming you don't:

My local independant garage were happy to come and tow my Rover away to be repaired when it's gearbox failed. They didn't charge me any extra. Just ask around and see if any garage are willing to do the same.

If that's not an option, get someone to help you tow it yourself with care.

I guess it depends on how far away your garage is - luckily where I live now I could probably push my car to the garage lol it's only round the corner!

Either way, a clutch cable shouldn't be expensive but needs doing right and unless you really can't get it to a garage, I wouldn't touch it myself.

Hope you can get it sorted,

I thought you could only use brakdown cover if your car was away from your house? mine is outside the house. might i still be able to use my cover ?

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
You get varying degrees of cover (I always remember the AA 'upgrades' to standard Roadside cover) which were Homestart & Relay.

Homestart meant anywhere (even within 1/2 mile of your home).

Whilst Relay meant forward travel if the car couldn't be fixed by the attending operator.

Check your policy to see what's included.

HTH

Paul

Reactions: Paul_jagger

·
Premium Member
375 Posts
That's true unless you paid for home start too...

They will come to your house to help you out but there's a standard charge I think - usually about £20.

EDIT: Paul - you beat me to it lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorted, I just called the garage nextto where i worked and he's offered to bring it into the garage for me.

Simples !

just hope it is only the cable now though !

Cheers everyone ;-)

·
Administrator
17,109 Posts
The plot thickens somewhat.

www.eurocarparts.co.uk lists a clutch cable for your car.

I thought modern cars had switched over to hydraulic - can anyone confirm this for the OP?

Paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts