Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
This is the first time i have posted , so bear with me .
My father has a renault megane elize 1.6 on a v plate that has developed an annoying problem of late. The problem he's reporting is that when he goes anywhere, he can park the car up and anything up to an hour later, he comes back to it and it wont start, but starts eventually as normal.
He has had it into Reg Vardy , charged him £65 for a diagnostic check but could find no fault, a mechanic mentioned that it may be something to do with the TDCS sensor, and would cost around £70, but said that even this may not solve the problem.
Obviously father is a bit reluctant to pay around £140 and not get rid of the problem.
Any one got any ideas or had similar problems ?.
Thanks in advance for any useful info.
Cheers Albi

S

·
0 Posts
I'm afraid that the TDC does sound like a likely cause. If you click the Search button at the top and look for TDC you will find lots of correspondence on the subject

Welcome to the forums by the way!

S

·
0 Posts
No problem at all. It's a commonly reported fault on the forums which is why I know about it. I'd consider a small, local garage for the job. Some of the guys on here should be able to tell you roughly a) the price for the parts and b) the labour time for the job. I was under the impression it is a simple and quick job. Your dad might as well try and save some pennies!

The other thing that really gets up my nose is people charging for diagnostic checks. £65 to plug the computer in and let it tell the mechanic that there is no problem. It's not good. I got stung for that recently. The MG garage insisted running a diagnostic check even when I knew it was clear because it had been checked by another MG dealer. It's a scandal really!

If the dealer is a Renault dealer, they know full well it's likely to be the TDC sensor that's faulty. Why make you waste your money?

Let us all know how you get on!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all, for advice

Hello All,
i visited the forums around a month and half ago with a problem on my stepfathers megane.
I received valuable advice and the car has had the tdc sensor replaced by friendly mechanic ( not *********** ), total cost £40. £21 for the part and rest for fitting. Was replaced around 2 weeks ago and stepfather reports that problem with starting has not returned upto now.
Just a pity that he didnt inform me of prob before taking it into dealership and being ripped off for £65 diagnostics that showed no problems, or else i could have sought your help soooner and saved him the money.
Regards
Albi

Will deffo be calling in again although i own the worlds most boring car a Toyota
Corolla lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry in advance i f i sound a bit dim but woult this TDC sensor be present on the new shape megane?
i have got a 54 reg 1.4 with the push button start and i have the same problem again after an hour or so.
i can come home for my lunch at 12 ish go back out to my car about 12.55 and this is when the problem starts.
taking it in to renault on thursday if tghis TDC sensor is still present on these models could it be that causing the problem??

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
Your car would have a TDC sensor and it does sound strikingly familiar to many posts on here concerning problems with them.I guess your car is still under warranty so get Renault to sort it for you asap.When you pick it up from them,come back and tell us what they had to replace(if they'll tell you!).

·
Registered
3 Posts
promised feedback

well i got my car back friday morning. they changed the rain sensor for me because i had a problem with the auto wipers and removed the throttle assembly and cleaned all of that. the wipers now work a treat and the car hasn't died on me ! yet!thay noticed the MPG was low so reset all the computer parametres to the factory settings and my MPG is now steaddily rising. The guys at Renault Wolverhampton are great and the level of customer service was fantastic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same car ,same problem ,if you solve it please let me know ,I was told over active battery and had it replaced ,this solved problem for a few weeks,if you find answer please let me know,regards Teddy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

I had exactly the same problem on my 1999 1.6 Megane. A genuine Renault replacement TDC sensor was £18 +Vat, so I just purchased one and fitted it. It is really easy - 20 mins including putting the tools away - problem sorted. Just don't drop the screws into the clutch housing! Covered the hole with tape whilst working.

I figured a £22 gamble on a seven year old vehicle was not too bad - especially when quoted £65 just for a diagnosis by the dealer...

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
I used to own a 99T sport alize 1.6, which when the engine had reached normal operating temp it would not start til it was cool.I took it to my local garage who had a scenic in with the same problem.Both cars turned out to be the crankshaft sensor £19, in spoke to the previous owner of my car and he changed two on it in five years for the same fault.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First thanks to all who have posted, I found the above posts after using a search engine with the question “Megane starting problem”. I removed the TDC sensor from my 2000 1.6 Alize. Upon inspection I found the magnetic end of the sensor had small metallic particles like iron filings hanging from it, so before buying a new sensor I tried cleaning it. After refitting no more starting problems and engine tickover improved, once again thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,285 Posts
First thanks to all who have posted, I found the above posts after using a search engine with the question “Megane starting problem”. I removed the TDC sensor from my 2000 1.6 Alize. Upon inspection I found the magnetic end of the sensor had small metallic particles like iron filings hanging from it, so before buying a new sensor I tried cleaning it. After refitting no more starting problems and engine tickover improved, once again thanks.
Good stuff! Thanks for letting us know!

·
Registered
16 Posts
paccfay

Hiya,
the same thing happened to mine and the Forum told me what it was - they all were right!!!they even send pics out so I could see where it get fitted. Brill!!!!

It cost me £22 from the dealer and I got some one to fit it for me for a few quid. 30 min later it was done - no problem.

This is the first time i have posted , so bear with me .
My father has a renault megane elize 1.6 on a v plate that has developed an annoying problem of late. The problem he's reporting is that when he goes anywhere, he can park the car up and anything up to an hour later, he comes back to it and it wont start, but starts eventually as normal.
He has had it into Reg Vardy , charged him £65 for a diagnostic check but could find no fault, a mechanic mentioned that it may be something to do with the TDCS sensor, and would cost around £70, but said that even this may not solve the problem.
Obviously father is a bit reluctant to pay around £140 and not get rid of the problem.
Any one got any ideas or had similar problems ?.
Thanks in advance for any useful info.
Cheers Albi[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1 Posts
starting problems

Hi,
I also have a problem with my Meagane 1.6 alise. It starts no bother everytime but quite often it just cuts out and does not hold the revs even after a few miles. It's like trying to run the car without a choke on. But when i stop the engine for a while and restart it, it's fine. Could this also be the TDC or something completly different.
Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
when you say the car wont start will the engine turn over?

reason i ask is that i have been having the same prob with mine basically when i park it come back all electrics work fine but when i turn key notthing no click no turn of engine just notthing and was the same leave for a while come back and it would be perfect again for another few days then same again but last night tried it loads of times and still no good so had to tow it to start it then after driving a few miles turned it off and tried and again notthing so wondering have i same prob

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
My has the same symptoms as vinnyl. Turn the key, nothing, if I hold it turned sometimes it fires up. The lights do not dim at all when the key is turned. There is just silence, it does not turn over. Not sure if it is related, but the LCD display for time and temperature has segments missing intermittantly and i also have a problem with the heater blower not working (But this could be a seperate issue). I did change the TDC sensor for one I had spare but no improvement. not sure if it is an earthing or battery problem? I checked the earth lead from the block to the chassis and it looks ok, are there any onther earthing points?

·
Premium Member
597 Posts
deano , this is probably the stater motor solenoid feed wire connector. replace it (female spade connector ) and try again. done lots of these.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts