Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
My girlfriend has a Renault Megane II automatic and can’t get it started. The break pedal is stuck and can’t be pushed down, so when you insert the card and press start the engine won’t kick in.

I apologise in advance as I know absolutely nothing about cars, but if you need any more information I’ll do my best to provide.

Does anybody know the reason for this? Or how to fix it? And is it something that someone with no previous experience could fix easily?

·
Super Moderator Technical Supremo Platinum Member
24,744 Posts
Brake pedal stuck?
As in absolutely no movement?
Or very little movement?
Has the car stood for any length of time?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There’s very little movement in the brake pedal, but you can’t push it all the way to the floor to start the engine. It hasn’t been inactive for any length of time. It was just a case of one day my girlfriend drove it home, the next day she got in it to go out and it wouldn’t start.

·
Premium Member
51 plate Laguna 2 1.6
2,150 Posts
you can’t push it all the way to the floor
You shouldn't be able to- before starting with no servo assist it shouldn't move much at all- certainly not to the floor. Or am I missing something?

·
Super fantastic Mod Technical Supremo Nice Guy
41,900 Posts
Hi guys,
My girlfriend has a Renault Megane II automatic and can’t get it started. The break pedal is stuck and can’t be pushed down, so when you insert the card and press start the engine won’t kick in.

I apologise in advance as I know absolutely nothing about cars, but if you need any more information I’ll do my best to provide.

Does anybody know the reason for this? Or how to fix it? And is it something that someone with no previous experience could fix easily?

Check the battery, these can, and do go flat

will need charging anyhow if stood for any length time .
but can still go flat overnight even if not had issues before

·
24,744 Posts
So, card in and dashboard says "press Brake and Start" (or summat like that)
Foot on brake pedal which does move and should never go to the floor anyway.
Press Start button
Dashboard continues to say "Press Brake..."
Engine does not turn over.
OR what?

If the first, I would suspect brake pedal switch.
If the dash message does change, what to and what other symptoms?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Card in, dashboard says push brake and press start. When doing this the engine would just tick over and then go dead.

I had another look at it yesterday.Now when you put the card in it says something along the lines of “Steering wheel locked” and “Consult roof manual”. I assumed perhaps the roof wasn’t closed all the way, so tried to close it but nothing happened. It also won’t let me open the boot.

Starting to think it’s battery related, as it seems the car is just starting to fail all over the shop.

·
24,744 Posts
Does sound like battery.
Low battery levels play havoc on many cars, sensors don't see the voltages expected so give false readings and loads of random faults.
Charge the battery and if it is over 4 years old, consider a new one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts