Independent Renault Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all hello to all.

I bought a 2003 Renault Megane coupe three weeks ago. The car had an unoriginal stereo system in so I bought an original off ebay and installed it. I don't know if the new stereo is related to my problem but I think the problem is with the immobiliser.

All was well, I drove the car to work the next day but when I got back in to go out to lunch it wouldn't start again. It hasn't started since. I got the AA to get the car to my house but can't get it going again.

Basically when I insert the key card all the lights on the dash come on as they should. When I put my foot on the brake and press the start button I hear the click behind the dash and the fuel pump come on as always but the Immobiliser light comes on and the starter motor does not turn over.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

·
La sola lupo
85 R11TS, 85 R9TXE, 97 Extra 1,9D, 97 Megane 2.0 RXE, 02 Clio 1,2 16V
1,815 Posts
When you turn the key, after the click when the starter should turn, are your dash lights still on or do they go off?

If they go off check your battery terminals and earth cables are tight

·
La sola lupo
85 R11TS, 85 R9TXE, 97 Extra 1,9D, 97 Megane 2.0 RXE, 02 Clio 1,2 16V
1,815 Posts
I think all the lights stay on but the immobilizer light goes off. I'll check this evening when I get home from work to confirm.
Bear in mind the immobiliser shouldnt stop the starter from turning so I dont think its an immobiliser issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep you were right it wasn't the immobilizer. Took it in to Renault. They had to strip all the wires out from under the bonnet and found two which were broken and shorting each other out. Also had to change the starter solenoid. Cost me 400 blips :mad:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.