Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have Renault Megane MK3 Hatchback 2011. There are 4 tail lights 2 on driver side rear and 2 on passenger side rear. The outer tail/brake light on driver side is working but the secondary inner tail light which has Fog light in same bulb is not working. The fog light turns on but the tail light does not.

I have attached an image to get a better understanding. One bulb (566 12v 21w/4w Bulb) has both Fog and tail light filaments.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Technical Supremo, Platinum, I let the Dogs out
7,702 Posts
have you tried swapping the bulbs from the other side to see if it the fault follows the bulb or stays in place?

·
Super Moderator
13,655 Posts
Have you got a towbar fitted?

·
7,702 Posts
is it just the one bulb in the boot lid light cluster? or..

·
7,702 Posts
as you have mentioned that the bulb is good ( swapped sides and 2 new ones) and you mention that the fog light comes on, it sounds like there is a break in the 12v supply for the rear light to that cluster. This could be at the connector, with the pins being dirty and just needs a good clean, or the wire has snapped, this is generally in the rubber boot with the wiring in it on the top left of the boot lid

·
7,702 Posts
sorry for the misunderstanding, I knew the bulb in questions was a dual job bulb, it was the fact that there was another bulb in the unit that the broken light is in, does the reversing light work?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
sorry for the misunderstanding, I knew the bulb in questions was a dual job bulb, it was the fact that there was another bulb in the unit that the broken light is in, does the reversing light work?
Yes, reversing light works fine.

·
7,702 Posts
so the only thing we are missing in that cluster is the 12v supply for the tail light, the 12v supply for the tail light is the blue wire, the black one is the earth

either the 12v isnt getting through or the earth is not working, the only way to check that is with a multimeter, put it on volts, put the red wire to the blue wire contact, should be where the lead bit of the bulb sits, and put the negative terminal on any good earth you can find, if you get 12v on the meter the earth wire is broken if you dont get 12v then the blue wire is broken somewhere

1 - 14 of 14 Posts