Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found out that ive have a faulty sensor on my 2003 convertible. Only having the car for about 3 weeks i was wondering if this would cause problems with fuel consumption.

Can someone please enlighten me if this would make the car drink alot more fuel than it should.

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
If an Oxygen Sensor(also known as the Lambda Sensor) on your car was faulty,then it could most definately have an effect on the fuel consumption.

Be sure that the right one is changed though as there are two,one before the cat and one after it.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
thanks for the quick reply. Was suprised that the garage i got the car from didnt pick it up on their diagnostics. I had to take it to a Renault dealer for them to show it & £77 out of pocket.(for the time being)

Never thought that this would effect fuel consumption as much as it has been. Well all getting sorted next week so hope thats the end of my problems.

Oh and as you mentioned that to make sure the right one gets sorted, on my report it says new downstream sensor so that would indicate the faulty one i take it?

Cheers

·
Premium Member
43,291 Posts
Hi Raw - maybe the previous owner gave it a dose of the magic Tesco fuel in the past which was known to cause lambda sensor problems.:)

·
Premium Member
40,429 Posts
The downstream one is the one aftetr the cat(up stream obviously being before the cat:)).The downstream one isn't really the critical one,but it will still make a difference.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.:)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi lagdti

Car has been a real pain since i first got it. There is now more problems that have since been found.

I have had numerous arguments with the dealer who keeps fobbing me off :mad: .The garage haven't fixed the o2 sensor yet as i was awaiting for a new drivers seat air bag as mine has a faulty plus a few other niggles that also need doing .All things going well I should have the car sorted by next week & will let you know then

Well i have had 3 Renaults in my time & this has been the worst experience thus far with one. Wish i had kept my trusty old R5 GTX.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Im having similar issues on my 54 megane convertible, diagnostics show bank 1 sensor 2 at fault but I dont kow which one this is. The bonnet is crammed as its a 2.0 T theres no room for manouvre at all. I can see one sensor just to the left of the turbo but is this one sensor1 or sensor2? If its sensor 1 then where the hell is sensor2 as I cant see another sensor anywhere.

Many thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me, Im hoping that sensor 2 is the one I can see on top of the engine and easily replaced but knowing my luck it won't be!!!

S

·
0 Posts
I changed the upstream senor on the senior managements Scenic last year. I have a cheap OBD code reader as I wasn't sure which sensor was faulty I disconnected the sensor behind the cat as its easier to get to this threw up another error code which eliminated it as being the faulty sensor.

I bought a universal 4 wire sensor as they are much cheaper at around £16 you have to cut off and re-use the plug from your faulty sensor. Some people advise not to use these type of sensors but I personally have successfully used these type of sensors several times.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Has anyone got a diagram or picture of where the sensors are on a Renault megane dynamique vvt convertible or a diagram showing the various sensor locations.

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
You should have 2 . I would think you will find the upstream sensor some where on the exhaust manifold and the downstream sensor at the back of the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the camshaft sensor. When I plugged in the diagnostic machine it was reading camshaft position sensor so I changed it for a new one. Reset the code and drove a couple of miles, the light came back on. So after reading into it a bit I decided to check out the solenoid valve positioned by the oil cap. I removed the valve cleaned it out cleaned all the connections with clean air and plugged back in. I have drove the car over 3 miles now and nothing yet. Just wanted to know where to check next incase the light comes back on fingers crossed!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi guys,

Wondering if someone could help. I recently took my car in to get a universal oxygen sensor fitted to my renault megane Dynamique VVT dynamique. It was fine for 24 hrs and then I pulled up turned my car off and it wouldn't start again. I called garage and after sometime he called me to say he had changed the starter relay. Drove car off and was fine for a couple of days and then it went again. So I took it back to the garage and after sometime he was saying that he would have to get a auto electrician to look at it. So I decided to jump start the car and take it away. I got it home and done a little bit of research and changed the 25amp fuse and it started. Probably what the guy at the garage did and charged me for will be speaking to him tomorrow. Anyway has anyone got any idea why the 25 amp fuse is blowing it always started before I took it in to get the oxygen sensor fitted.

Ps my engine management light is on and error code is reading open bank 1 circuit. This was another fault I was about to deal with after the oxygen sensor. Car was sometimes making a noise when starting. The cam belt does need changing and dephaser pulley. Car has done 67000 miles. I have purchased the parts any waiting to get fitted.

Anyone got any ideas on the why the 25amp fuse and started blowing?

Cheers,

Steven

1 - 16 of 16 Posts