Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 51 reg Scenic and the Orange LCD display for the radio and clock has started to play up.
The display is sometimes OK when the ignition is first switched on but then either half or the whole display goes very dim and cannot be seen at all at times.
Has anyone else diagnosed this as a loose wiring connector or fuse, or as I suspect a new LCD display module at ££££ from Mr Renault.
You may see from my last post that my 1 year warranty has just expired.....!

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's dead easy to gain access to the back of the clock, pull up both speaker grills at either side and undo the T20 screws at each side, then the whole top section of the dashboard can be removed and the clock bulbs can be accessed, hope this helps...

·
Registered
8 Posts
FrenchFanRTE said:
It's dead easy to gain access to the back of the clock, pull up both speaker grills at either side and undo the T20 screws at each side, then the whole top section of the dashboard can be removed and the clock bulbs can be accessed, hope this helps...
Hiya, a newbie here with the same problem. No lights on clock/temp/radio lcd display. I followed the above instruction on my S (98?) Megane Scenic but the dash does not lift off easily. Is it just a case of 'PULL THE SECTION UP' because there was virtually little or no movement after I undid the two said screws.

Should I assume there are no further screws to undo or that I am being a weak female. :eek:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Scenic LCD display gremlins

Thanks team,
er.........so am I replacing a LCD display from Mr Renault stores or a couple of 12v bulbs from Halfords????

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
Hi, Firstly the dash needs a little tug to come off, i can't remember whether it's best to pull from the rear or the front though! But it comes off ok. Then you will have easy access to the clock console and the speedo console. The bulbs are located in little white holders that twist off. I changed the bulb in my mileometer with one from Halfords, although it is brighter than the clock display now so it may have not been the right wattage. The only problems I had was getting the bulb out of the holder, remidied by gently pushing up the metal holders out along with the bulb and then squeezing the new bulb inbetween the metal bits and pushing into the white holder. The other problem was twisting the white bulbholder back in as there was a shroud around the hole that my fingers couldn't get into easily, so a 'V' notch in a bit of dowel to hold the bulb holder was used. If the bulbs work then it is the clock unit, i've seen some on ebay.

Dean -Hope this wasn't too nonsensical!! :d

·
Registered
8 Posts
Deano said:
Hi, Firstly the dash needs a little tug to come off, i can't remember whether it's best to pull from the rear or the front though! But it comes off ok. Then you will have easy access to the clock console and the speedo console. The bulbs are located in little white holders that twist off. I changed the bulb in my mileometer with one from Halfords, although it is brighter than the clock display now so it may have not been the right wattage. The only problems I had was getting the bulb out of the holder, remidied by gently pushing up the metal holders out along with the bulb and then squeezing the new bulb inbetween the metal bits and pushing into the white holder. The other problem was twisting the white bulbholder back in as there was a shroud around the hole that my fingers couldn't get into easily, so a 'V' notch in a bit of dowel to hold the bulb holder was used. If the bulbs work then it is the clock unit, i've seen some on ebay.

Dean -Hope this wasn't too nonsensical!! :d
Thank you Dean - I did it.

The dash lifts off from the front and up then pull towards you. To access the bulbs there are three further screws holding the clock display in. It was a simple as you said and probably took me longer to get to halfords than to dismantle and put back together the dashboard. I got the tiny 12v 1.2 bulbs which cost £2.00 each. Working like a treat.

Bessy, following the instructions to change the bulbs was dead simple. My fault was the same as yours. You need a small star screwdriver bit and a couple of the teeny weeny bulbs. Halfords would fit the bulbs for £3.99 per bulb (including the bulb) but I am not sure if it included dismantling the dashboard.

Again, many thanks from a female whose first response is normally to run to my dad. I feel really chuffed that I did it myself. :d

·
Premium Member
106 Posts
LOL I too noticed that Halfords charged a small fee for fitting the tiny bulb, can't imagine it would cover things like removing ther dash etc! I was tempted to ask except that my dash was in the back of the car already and the speed assembly was unscrewed! :d

·
Registered
81 Posts
A problem I found with my LCD display was down to a leaking sunroof (common fault with Scenics). Somehow water got into the electrics and gave me characters silimilar to chinese writing. The leak was doen to a dodgy fitted pipe, fitted in the sunroof area.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Glad I've found this. My wife did some "car maintenance" and tried to clean the display. It dissapeared through the dash. Was wondering how I get behind to push it back in again. I'll start talking to her again now!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Radio display/time clock lghting query.

Have a 2000 Megane 1.6 RT Alize which I'm very happy with. However the radio/time clock display unit doesn't light and it's quite annoying! Assuming there are some bulbs behind the display which will need replacing but could someone please explain in layman's terms how to get to them? Is it a full dash out jobby or something (hopefully!) much easier than that please?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Cracked mine today thanks, very easy job. Only problem is they're terribly dim, must have bought some that are not bright enough but at least I know how to do it now. Thanks to those who advised on this thread how to do it, much appreciated.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The bulbs in my electric window switches went, and although apparently you have to replace the whole switch I took it apart and replaced it with a 12v LED from

Ultra Leds U.K

I had to do a bit of wire stripping, and fit it twice to get it the right way round but now it's working great. At least you'll only have to get to the impossible places in the dash once using LED's as they should last nearly forever. If only one of a pair has gone replace them both or you'll kick yourself when you have to do it again. Also, the LED's are not much more than the standard bulbs.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi would someone be able to send me a link to somehwhere I can buy the bulbs for the where the time display/radio bulbs go on a 2001 Megane.

Would rater have the right ones before I take the dash off.

If you could show me them on the halfords website that would be great.:d

·
Registered
5 Posts
The bulbs in my electric window switches went, and although apparently you have to replace the whole switch I took it apart and replaced it with a 12v LED from

Ultra Leds U.K

I had to do a bit of wire stripping, and fit it twice to get it the right way round but now it's working great. At least you'll only have to get to the impossible places in the dash once using LED's as they should last nearly forever. If only one of a pair has gone replace them both or you'll kick yourself when you have to do it again. Also, the LED's are not much more than the standard bulbs.
Hi!
Could you, if you read this topic anymore, be specific for which Megane and exact type of LEDs you bought?
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 43 Posts