Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I'm new to this site, so hello to all!

I'm not experienced at all with cars so cannot do any of my work and will have to take it to the garage, unless you say its easy and you won't have to take anything out etc.

Problem 1

My rear lights are a bit screwed up. At night with my lights on when i brake, my right rear indicator light comes on (steady light, not flashing) with my rear fog light too. When i don't have my lights on, the indictator flashes at a faster rate but returns to normal when i release the brake.

Is this an easy problem to solve? How much would it roughly cost to fix?

Problem 2

My rev counter never stays idle for very long and falls right down to zero and shudders itself back to normal but then keeps falling back down. Sometimes at traffic lights, or just being idle the engine cuts out. It normally seems to happen in the hot weather but recently happens all the time.

Again, Is this an easy problem to solve? How much would it roughly cost to fix?

Thanks everyone!

·
RIP 31-12-2008
5,807 Posts
Hi there and welcome to Renault Forums, your first problem definately sounds like a short circuit probably caused by damp connections in the rear light housing. You would need to remove the housing and check the contacts for corrosion and damp. Give the connections and contact strips a clean and then squirt with WD40 and this should clear the problem. Can't help with your second question but I'm sure someone else will.
Regards Leroy

·
Premium Member
293 Posts
hi tinker here your problem with the back light sounds more like an earth problem witch has played me no end of times even in the good old days of ford populars it just need everything cleaning and maybe a new earth fitted to it john

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So i just need to clean the rear lights connections to start with, not anything connected by the drivers seat etc? as i've looked but there but looks really complicated to get to the wires, the rear ones is easy though, lol. Thanks guys btw!

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
hello m8 just a reply on problem 2 you have.could be your Top Dead Centre sensor on your crankshaft or your coils are failing.I recentley replaced my Top Dead Centre sensor for £18.50 and it is easy to do m8.hope this helps let us know the outcome m8

·
Registered
1 Posts
hi ... im having a very similar problem. but the issue seems to be isolated to the drivers side and when the main lights are on.. the indicators seem to work ok when the lights are not turned on but strange things occur when the brake is pressed.. mainly the fog lamp illuminating on the dashboard which is how i realised there was an issue..

If i am correct there is an earth cable below the rear lights.. I have disconnected this and it doesnt seem to be corrected in any way at the connector. I have also checked all the bulbs and they appear in working order..

Any more ideas???

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Megane Rear Light Fault

Hi,

I have been having problems with my O/S rear indicator for some time. When braking while indicating the brake light and indicator flash alternately.

This is a classic symptom of a poor earth on the lamp unit. The fault seems to be in the multi plug but the connectors are so small I wasn't able to improve the connection permanently.

I have just made a semi permanent cure using a piece of insulated cable with a small crocodile clip on each end.

Remove the lamp cover and remove the bulb holder by releasing the clip at each side.

Looking at the bulb holder from the bulb side you will see that the earth path is the strip of metal running around the outside of the indicator and across the top to the reverse lamp bulb. In the centre the strip is quite thin. I attached one of the crocodile clips on this and the other th the earth point on the body below the lamp unit. The connection in the multi plug is now bypassed and the problem is solved.

This repair may cure other types of strange behaviour in the rear lamps.

It would be better the attach the wire more permanently but I haven't yet worked this out. I don't think solder would take on the metal used on the bulb holder circuit.

I hope this is helpful.

Graham

1 - 8 of 8 Posts