Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi im new to this.... but this site is Awesome and very helpful however suggestions please
I have a 2000 Renault Megane Scenic 1.6 16v auto just recently my gearbox light started to come on, but only 1st thing in the morning switch off and restart and its ok again, i rang my local renault dealer OMG what a shock i got, my car mite be nearly 11 yrs old but only has 47500 original miles and service history however they said it sounds like the EMV Valve (hydrolic block?) and the cost to replace it including labour and VAT would be a staggering £982.64 mega ouch but they did say try an oil change i said its a sealed box he said well yes but you can change the oil??? it goes into the garage on Thursday for a full service and new cambelt and gearbox oil change which hopefully mite help? if not i guess its the EMV Valve do i start saving or just get another car :/
Oil
Oil FAQ

Click here to read our Oil FAQ

Sponsored by Opie Oils

http://www.OpieOils.co.uk

·
Registered
10 Posts
I doubt the oil change will work.
This problem is endemic on most french Automatic cars, the EMV valve sensor throws a fault slamming the car in to limp 3rd gear mode, most french Autos suffer it, it is a terminal fault on a old cars due to cost, Renault have done nothing about this problem, but shug their shoulders, they have offered a fix since 1999 of a new sensor and ecu flash, but yet the box still come with the faulty sensor from new.
My advice is NEVER, this is from personal experience of this problem under any circumstances buy a second hand Renault Automatic, if you do not have this problem now it is only a matter of time before you do and you are on borrowed time if you car has covered 60,000 m + .
I have heard of Independent Auto box fixers doing it for £750, "everybody knows" Urban myth.. someone who can fix it for £100, yet no-body can tell anyone who or where can fix this problem .
My thoughts are they replace the sensor with a new identical one and then flash the ECU with new firmware to tell it to now ignore the sensor problem and not to jump to limp home mode and hope for the best.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts