Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All.
As a new member I hope someone can help me. I own a 1999 renault megane scenic 1.6 rn e, with 35,000 miles on the clock. I took the car for mot, and stopped to put petrol in the car. On leaving I put my foot down sharply on the accelerator, now the speedo does not register or milometer. Also the electronic incident warning light came on 5mins later going up a hill. It looses power. After switching off it runs smoothly until it gets to a hill or motorway driving when the light comes on & power loss again. I took it to a garge but they couldn't find a fault. Rang renault but wanted to charge £98.00 + vat for diagnostic testing, which seems steep and couldn't fit me in for 2 weeks.
Any help would be appreciated. I know litlte about cars so any help would be great. If I do take it to a garage, the wool will not be pulled over my eyes.
Many might knock the cars, but I must say it has never caused me any problems in the 6yrs I have owned it.

By the way great forum sight and plenty of useful information:)

·
Let's be carefull out there
19,360 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The incident warning light means a fault has been detected and Logged on the ECU. From your description it could be a possible problem with a coil pack as this would cause rough running. If left this may cause damage to the catalytic converter as unburnt fuel will pass through the engine.

As for the display, is it a digital display, if so it may have been spiked somehow and this may require a new display, not cheap from Renault but available from breakers. I would check all fuses 1st if the display still does not work, disconnect the battery for a couple of hours and then reconnect and try again. This will reset the ECU and may clear the fault with both the display and the warning light.

No doubt others will also offer advice but if you continue having problems post back.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Chris.
Thanks for your reply. I will try to disconnect the battery later if it ever stops raining, to see if this rectifies the problem. Any more information would be grateful. I was told by a guy at work to check the alterntor earth strap as it is the earth for speedo & rev counter. The rev counter is working. Any relevance in this information..Jayne

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Chris.
Took the battery off the car. Re-connected it. Took it up and down the hill where I live. Hit 3000rpm, same thing electronic incident warning light came on & speedometer still dead. Are there any sensors on the breaks. Incidently I did have new tyres and brakes put on the morning of the mot. Still one bit of luck found £2 towards my repair fund. Any other suggestions greatfully recieved. Many thanks jayne

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cheers Chris.
Will pop in monday to have it checked. Managed to find a garage in locality that does diagnostics so hopefully will find out if it is coils. Any advice on which make are good replacements or good suppliers. Further to your earlier reply the speedo is not electronic, hopefully I can sort the car out so my brother-in-law can use it when he visits from the usa. regards..jayne

·
Registered
2 Posts
Cheers Chris.
Will pop in monday to have it checked. Managed to find a garage in locality that does diagnostics so hopefully will find out if it is coils. Any advice on which make are good replacements or good suppliers. Further to your earlier reply the speedo is not electronic, hopefully I can sort the car out so my brother-in-law can use it when he visits from the usa. regards..jayne

Hi Emily , so you find the problem about the warning light?? , because I also have a Scenic(03) and I`m having this problens the bad is when driven in the motorways:crazy: and lose power... my scenic is diesel 1.9 any one have ideia about that?:confused:

thanks . and great forum!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i had the same fault, but it was a small rubber pipe connecting to the back of the air intake that had snapped, this is connected to an electronic sensor mounted just under the windscreen, got a new pip for £2 and problem gone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi emily020,

I have same proble exactly as you had. Can you please help me out? How did you fixed this issue?

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts