Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am have alot of trouble with my Renault megane rt sport 1.6 (petrol) shakeing alot. I have just had the entire exhaust system replaced and my car seems to shake quite alot it starts fine but as i put my foot down on the excelerator the shakeing gets worse and then the car finally stalls and I then have trouble starting it again.
What could be causeing this.

·
Registered
85 Posts
This happens when car is not in motion, right?
Poor ignition, I think.
If it works on 3 cillinders instead of 4 there's a specific hissing sound from the engine.

·
Still a Petrolhead but also like diesel
2,311 Posts
Yup, it sounds like its running on 3 cylinders or ignition/plugs issues ...

However if it had been a newer Megane II ... then thats what they all do ... dont they ? .... like in the adverts ....

I see ya baby .. shakin that ass ....

Groove Armada ... it was :d

Sorry couldnt resist it. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
is this hissing sound you mention when you rev the car.you can hear a hiss like a hole in a pipe or something
Normally, if the engine runs on 3 cyl you can easily tell - you cannot rev it up, it will just hiccup & stall.

If you hear this sound with engine running evenly, and engine obviously stable and not losing power, then it might not be caused by any fault and might be normal. If you consider this unusual you can inspect the exhaust system for leaks.
Otherwise, if there's a distinctive smell of exhaust gas in the engine bay, even petrol when cold-started, and what's most annoying - uneven idle working, most likely you have a crack in the exhaust header.
Pls note, low hissing sound at idle is normal - it comes from the catalyst.

However if it had been a newer Megane II ... then thats what they all do ... dont they ? .... like in the adverts ....
I see ya baby .. shakin that ass ....
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Nice one!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what age is the car and do you have any warning lights on the dash when this happens
My car is a 1996 model and when I start the car the immobiliser light is on to start with and then goes out. My car also has a habbit of locking and unlocking its self on its own

·
Banned
30,789 Posts
I am have alot of trouble with my Renault megane rt sport 1.6 (petrol) shakeing a lot.
Why is my car shaking a lot

If this is anything like mine was, stop it now. I almost got arrested for it.

The copper asked me. "What the :censored: are you doing"?

I said "Necking." He said "Well put you're :censored: neck back in you're trousers now and go :censored: off, before I arrest you"

Me, I'd never been so embarrassed in all my life, I haven't got a clue how long he'd been standing there watching.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My car is a 1996 model and when I start the car the immobiliser light is on to start with and then goes out. My car also has a habbit of locking and unlocking its self on its own
Locking the car is an automatical function that can be disabled by pressing the button when key is at contact and pressing the lock button on the dash and holding it for 6 sec.

·
Registered
21 Posts
ye mate my cars a diesel and it shakes its ass, had it at the dealers they say that most meganes are famous for it something to do with the regeneration , but does the petrol do that regenaration thing to

·
Registered
4 Posts
ive encountered a similar problem on another car and it has been due to the lack of pressure from the exhaust, if its a performance exhaust theirs more area inside the pipe for the exhaust gases to be dispersed. than the standard. there is less air goin in and more allowed to get out so the compression in the engine is wrong if you get me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts