Independent Renault Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My scenic was playing up. Various warning lights coming on. The car would loose power. I would pull over turn the engine off and on again and it would be fine so I knew it wasn't mechanical. Then the passenger side electronic handbrake locked on and the car wouldn't move! I removed the plug from the handbrake motor and tested the motor with a battery pack and it worked fine. I tested the plug to see if any power was coming down from the battery with a multimeter and there was nothing. Also the passenger door window wasn't working and a bulb on the same side also. I decided to investigate and found the storage boxes front and rear were soaked!! I rang a few Renault garages and they said flooding wasn't common!!!! (It is!) Also only the heater blower could be affected by water (wrong too!) And the wiring loom would need to be replaced (It didn't) New electronic handbrake module (not!!!) Even new fuse board (no again) I removed the passenger seat, the two storage boxes, various trims and rolled the carpet back. The felt underlay was drenched!! Then I removed the metal frame that the front storage tray sits in. After that I removed the big chunky foam section that sits in the passenger front foot well. It was as if I took it out of a bath. Absolutely soaking! Then I'm down to the metal. And on the left behind a plastic cover in the passenger footwell was all the cables. There were 3 thick cables (1 white,2 red) joined by a connecter box that was totally corroded as it had been sitting in water for God knows how long!! I cut out the old connector and cleaned the cables and fitted a new connector. Problems all solved!!!! Everything all works. No more flashing messages. No more loosing power. And it cost me a couple of quid!!! I researched that the scenic has two drainidge channels in the engine bay underneath the wipers that get clogged with leaves and then water enters the cabin. I removed the covers wipers and motors and checked mine and they were not blocked so water wasn't coming in that way! So here's the thing. I live in the country now for the last 2 years. Before when I lived in town I had no major problems. The roads by me get flooded at the sides so the passenger side of the car is getting showered every time you drive through a puddle. But there must be a design flaw underneath the car that's allowing all this water to enter inside and flood the passenger side. God knows how many people have had various warning lights and electrical problems that Renault have charged a fortune to fix when it's a design flaw!! I noticed in the passenger front floor was a plastic bung that was stuck to the metal floor. I decided to make an improvement to Renault's design. I got a plastic fitting about 10 mm wide, hollow in the middle with a collar on top( it was actually an adapter that came with a Syphon pump I bought in Halfords. I drilled a 10mm hole through the plastic bung fitted to the car floor and I pushed my new adapter down through it basically creating a drain away for any more flood water that enters the car so it can't build up again and damage the electrics. I also taped the wires that were on the floor to the other wiring higher up so they were no longer sitting on the metal floor and the connecter getting corroded again!! There are two wires going across the passenger floor that you can't move but they look like just earth wires with no joiner in them so they should be ok!!! I then replaced everything and the car runs fine. You will still be left with various amber warning lights which need to be cleared so I ordered an OB2 reader from Amazon that you plug into your car, connect it to your phone or laptop and you have your own diagnostic computer to check faults and reset error messages after you have fixed the problem as they stay on even if the problem is fixed until they are cleared. I hope this helps somebody else that can't afford to keep shelling out for crazy warning messages and electrical problems that are design flaws and not the customers!! There is very little information available on the internet for the MK3 so if anyone has a go and finds a way then post it so other people don't suffer late nights on computers and cold days under the car!!! Incidentally the fuse diagram in my Renault handbook is nothing like what it is on the car!!!!! I mean come on??? If you have blown a fuse on the handbrake it's a 30amp one top left on your fuse board. If you've blown the passenger door window one then it's row 3 or four and it's 25 amp. They are smaller than normal fuses so you will need to get replacements to suit Renault's. I hope this helps somebody!! Also if your handbrake is locked on there is no release cable to pull like on the MK2 but if anyone wants to know how to get it free to get the car home or to a garage, let me know and I'll do another post! One more thing I was told I needed a new gearbox last year (£3000) The car hadn't done 40000 miles. That was cured with a tin of filter cleaner from Halfords for a tenner!!! So if you are getting messages that say check auto gearbox or any other messages that don't make sense. A lot of them are caused by the diesel particle filter clogging up and starts a chain reaction of other error messages!!! The scenic is a lovely car to drive. Good engine. Better suspension than most but come on Frenchies It's time to sack your electrics boss and replace him with someone from Japan as it's been your Achilles heal for too long now!!!!!!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts